Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Nice things I did this year.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Not to toot my own horn but I really feel good about two big things this year.

Nearly two years ago, I lost my job in a power struggle at a multi-national.

Then just over a year ago, I landed a job as director of engineering at a small startup. It wasn't a perfect fit but they needed help. While I was unemployed, an acquaintance came to me asking me to help his best friend find a job. He had been out of work for 5 years. Two kids in college and a mortgage. His wife was supporting the family with her job as a high school teacher. The acquaintance didn't know that I too was out of a job but I didn't tell him.

About three month into the job, the place wasn't for me. The owner had some issues. And I wasn't willing to put up with it. The best friend didn't care as long as he was back in the market. I resigned and managed to get the best man hired as my replacement. The best man is happy, his wife even came to the office at lunch to thank me. She was crying... The owner is happy he has another very competent engineer. And I'm happy to give the best friend a best present of his life.

---------------

When I moved to Portland, I was way too busy to set up a chicken coop so we ended up buying a semi-custom made coop from a local person. He and his wife were very nice young couple. Struggling with the economy and making the best they can. They sold me the coop for way cheap. So as a Christmas gift, I gave them the difference between what he charged me and what I thought it should cost. His wife wrote back to me saying how much it meant for them. They said it would go a long way to paying their landlord and from being evicted...

I sent her an e-mail. I'm going to have the husband do some needed fixes to my house and was willing to give an advance so that they would not get evicted. I wanted them to have a happy Christmas. They have a nice son and I want him to have a memory of happy Christmas. You are child only once and it is just so fleeting. They've been living there for six or seven years. More the reason I don't want to see them being evicted on New Years eve. Besides, he is really meticulous with his work and being a carpenter in this economy is so hard.

This is just my little way to make the world a better place.

and oh yeah.. I still help with the cat rescues.

I must have lot of personal guilt

I may not post till after Christmas so Merry Christmas to all and wish all of you good health, nicer and friendlier world to live.

peace be with you.

Good for you smiling cat! You should feel good, those were nice things.

An Aunt of mine died at the age of 89 penniless and alone in Fl. She was not a nice woman and was estranged from the whole family. Her one remaining son, who she physically abused when he was a child, moved to CA to get away from her.
    There was this one woman in FL, Harriet (who is 82), who took pity on her and looked out for her, driving her to the Dr & store, and lending her a little money now and then. Harriet is the one who called the family when she died.

My Aunt was cremated, but none of the family wanted to pay the postage to have her ashes sent to them. By coincidence, my husband and I were visiting his Dad in FL a week after she died. I had not seen my Aunt in 27 years, and had no fond memories of her, but I did feel bad that she was sitting unclaimed on a shelf in a crematorium. She was a miserable woman, but ending up like that is just sad. So, when we went down to FL we drove over and picked up her ashes to bring them back with us to New England.

My Mom, Dad & I took them to the grave of her parents, my grandparents, and dug a little hole and put her in (which is quite against the rules). We figured that if anybody would be willing to spend eternity with her, it would be her parents. We hope so anyway!

Post script: In her will she quite firmly said that her son was to get nothing. Not than there was anything. The only things she had left that were of any value at all were 3 gold rings and a small gold necklace. Harriet told me to take them for my trouble of collecting the ashes and all, but I thought if anybody should get them, it should be her son. He has been unemployed & in danger of loosing his house and he could use any extra money. So I mailed him the rings & necklace. It won’t make up for a miserable childhood but I’m sure it pissed off my aunt.

Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

I love these stories, ladies.

Last week we found out about a small start-up charity in our county that is taking in used bikes, fixing them up, and redistributing them to kids in need. We had 2 Schwinn mtn bikes sitting in the basement for ages. They wouldn't fit any little kids, but teenagers need bikes, too, especially if it's a way to get to a job if they don't have a car or aren't old enough to drive.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Okay my story isn't nearly as grand but last week I stopped in at the dollar store to pick up some christmas boxes. There was a young woman in front of me in line, she seemed to be purchasing some birthday gift items and her debit card was denied, twice. I could tell by her body language and the way she was talking on the phone after she stepped away from the counter that this was extremely distressing. I ask the clerk what her total way (less than $5) so I handed the clerk a $5 to cover it. The young woman looked so surprised. I just smiled and said merry christmas, go enjoy your day. I was warm the entire bike ride home.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

My partner and I took her parents on an Alaska cruise this summer. That may sound like "so what?" but some background: my partner is an only child from a strict Southern Christian background. Her parents are both older and pretty set in their ways. They almost disowned her when she moved across the country to be with another woman. Over the past 11 years they've slowly come around to being able to talk to her (without me being mentioned), to being able to hear my name, to being able to be with me for short periods.

This summer we decided to give them a trip that they've never do on their own. They're not very adventurous and don't have much money. It took some talking them into it, but we did it. They were thrilled. Her mom is still talking about it months later. She's still describing it as her trip of a lifetime. I'm so happy that it worked out so well.

Growing up, my mom was a SAHM. She and my dad divorced a few years ago (not sure when exactly, it took YEARS to settle). She eventually landed an hourly job at Kroger. After working there for about a year she saw an ad for a job as an assistant bakery manager. She inquired about it and was told it had already been assigned.

I told her to submit her resume anyway. Then sat down with her and helped her go over her resume, using things she did as a SAHM to display her business/management skills (working as a scout leader, band volunteer, etc). She submitted the resume - and got hired as a manager in a position that wasn't even open! I haven't been able to do much to further my own career for the time being, but I'm glad I was able to help her.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

All of these stories are just further confirmation to me that TE is an awesome collection of caring, generous and strong women. Love it!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

great stories. The only thing i can think of is my series of dog and cat painting that i have done this year with 50% of the proceeds going to some shelters. So far, I've only sold one of them... keep them coming!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

What amazing, thoughtful women you all are. It warms my heart to hear your stories and I feel encouraged that there really are still good people in the world (sometimes living in NY turns you into a cynic). Kudos to all of you and Happy Holidays!

Can't remember doing anything especially nice this year (musta done something!) but I have a favourite story from before Christmas a few years back. I was waiting for the bus in town when I noticed an neat middle-aged woman, nicely dressed and discreetly made-up, who seemed dizzy and ill. I chatted to her a bit, and just as the bus arrived it transpired she wasn't ill, but had had one, or maybe two or three drinks too many at the early Christmas party at her office... She confided in me that she didn't usually drink at all. She was so embarrassed that she wanted to just "compose herself" and wait for the next bus, but she could barely stand up and I insisted she couldn't stay out in the cold alone.

The bus driver was just about to get all snotty and tell her to get off again cause he didn't want "drunk people" , but I promised him I'd take care of her and everything was fine. She was so embarrassed, so I thought the best thing was just to smalltalk and be nice. I asked where she lived (close to the bus stop) and if there was anyone at home to take care of her (there was), and when she left the bus I told her I'd be watching until I saw her reach the door.

Then I went towards the back of the bus to sit down myself. This large meanlooking skinhead guy barks out "Hey, you!" and I jump. "I saw what you did. Merry Christmas!"

Made my entire week
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

My 10 year old daughter and i shop for and donate toys to a local school for homeless children. She uses some of her own allowance money so it seems to help her realize the importance of helping others. I get to teach art a couple of times a month to the fith graders at my daughter's school. I have a blast and the kids are soooo awesome and appreciative. I always have a few five dollar starbucks giftcards on hand to give to the bell ringers standing in the cold outside my work. I love reading about all of the nice things everyone is doing it makes me smile![PHP][/PHP]
    I like bikes, sometimes more than my husband

Another happy note - that K-Mart Pay Off the Layaway phenomenon is spreading. There was a report on local radio about a couple of cases in the area.
    Life is not nearly as bad as TV news would have us believe.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more