Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, Red, you've inspired me to go out there, no matter what.
    I thought it was supposed to be "warmer" today? The snow flurries freaked me out, but it's too dry to stick or form ice. But, I'd really like it to get to 30 before I venture out.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Went to San Francisco yesterday intending to climb more of the steepest streets, but when I got there I took one look at 22nd Street and said F-it! I wanted to climb, but I didn't feel up to maximum effort up 31.5% grades, or the cobbled 30% grade of 24th St on Potrero Hill. The fact that I got there hours later than I wanted didn't help. The queasiness I experienced near the top of Sanchez St finalized my decision to avoid The City's steepest.

Instead I rode around the Noe Valley and Diamond Heights areas. There are plenty of grades in the mid teens to low twenties, so that was good enough for me. Where else but San Francisco can you ride less than 11 miles and climb over 2,000'?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/136237713

GoPro and Contour really need to work on their cameras to make them more usable at night. Even on well-lit streets, all the footage recorded at night was useless. This sucks because I climbed the steepest hills after dark.

Here's the footage that did turn out okay. These hills only have grades in the mid teens to maybe 20%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7zbjWj6SkM

The hill I didn't climb-22nd St

View from the top of Sanchez St

Crappy evening shot of Sutro Tower from the top of Cumberland St

Even crappier night shot looking up 21st St. I had to stabilize the camera on my saddle, so excuse the angle.
    Last edited by luv2climb; 12-25-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Hope this isn't too much for TE - I'm really not religious, but the ritual carries a lot of meaning for me, and this year I was feeling the need. I'm only about a mile and a half from the church, but it's on a narrow main road that I'd never ridden at night before. I took an alternate route that kept me off the main road except for about 200 yards.

It was a beautiful night for a ride and I'm really glad I went. Happy holidays, all.
    Considering how much we share here, I hope it wouldn't be too much I am fighting the urge to ride today - sunshine fills the sky again but it is windier than yesterday...and I've friends expecting me at their house this afternoon and I don't know how they would take being ditched for the bike I've been looking forward to this all week, but it is amazing how strong the siren song of sunshine and >40 temps at the end of December is!

Was pretty windy here, to bu got in 8.34 miles

Merry Christmas everyone! We got in a nice 40 mile ride on an absolutely gorgeous (albeit windy!) Christmas morning. It was a great way to start the day.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Continuing on our quests to reach our mileage goals, yet another ride to Saguaro National Park, my DH and I rode 27 miles. It was cold to start, 38 degrees but warmed so fastI ditched my jacket and tights half an hour after we left (meeting place with friends and one had his car there). It was probably 50 by the time we got home and a beautiful sunny morning. Less than 58 miles for me and 97 for my husband now. 4800 is my goal and his is 6000.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

luv2climb - that was Sutro Tower, not Coit. Cool pics.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Oops, my bad! Thanks for letting me know. I just started going down there again after almost 20 years, so I'm a little rusty with my landmarks. Post edited.

I'm going out tomorrow. I was hoping to get out today, but Christmas dinner's timing didn't work out so well for me.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Windy here in the Rio Grande Valley. I only went about 6 miles on the bike, but I walked two and ran one also. So, I am happy enough.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Started out with a soaking wet Christmas morning run, then the sun broke through for some mountain biking later! A great day with family and no obligations!
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp, Specialized BG Lithia w/ hollow Cr-Mo rails
    2009 Specialized Myka FSR, Specialized Windie 143

It's summer here in New Zealand. I let my husband sleep in on Christmas morning while I went for an easy ride around the bays of Wellington. Halfway around I met some friends on the beach for a little sparkling wine. A VERY little sparkling wine, given that I still had to cycle home! I discovered that bubbly is not performance enhancing, even while still sober. I made it home eventually though, very sun burned.

I got in a fast (for me) 18-mile ride this afternoon. Beautiful day, and you see a lot more along the trail now that all the leaves are gone.

This leaves me about 6 miles shy of my revised goal for the year. It's supposed to rain tomorrow and Thursday is shot...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Rode just over 15 miles today. It was windy, 44 degrees and started raining the last 2 miles. Still enjoyed getting out on the bike and still on goal to keep riding outside until the end of the year (at least 1x/week). One more week to go and then I'll see what the new year brings
    Last edited by Dog; 12-26-2011 at 04:26 PM.
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck

I got out yesterday for 22+ miles (needed to work off those Christmas cookies!). Fairly cold, but nice and sunny. Tried out the new aero helmet and the new wind barrier base layer. Thumbs up for both.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er