Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Portland, Oregon Memorial Weekend Race

To disable ads, please log-in.

Will you be in Portland, Oregon over the Memorial Weekend in May, 2012? Drop by Portland International Raceway, and watch (or even race) the Recumbent Races (alternating track time with Electrathon Races). Any human powered vehicle is welcome to race with us.

Edna
    Please share and pass the information on to any other forums or blogs or Facebook, etc, that you may visit. We'd love to have lots and lots of participants and spectators!!
    Thanks!
    Edna

Oregon Human Powered Vehicles Presents:
    The 13th Annual Human Power Challenge (HPC)

The event will be held on Memorial Day Weekend, May 26 & 27, 2012 at Portland International Raceway (PIR) in Portland, Oregon. This unique event has a large variety of racing formats. Rider skills and strengths will be challenged as they compete in any or all of the following:
    • Individual Time Trial
    • 1/8 Mile Drag Race
    • Auto Cross Speed & Agility Course
    • 200 Meter All Out Speed Test
    • Mass Start Road Race
    • Short Track Curvy Road Race
    Come see regular human powered street vehicles racing, as well as the premier king of speed, the Streamliner. This kind of vehicle holds the distinction of holding every world record for timed distances and ultimate speed. All this HPV (Human Powered Vehicle) racing nirvana takes place on a world class Indy car race track, the Portland International Raceway. This smooth surface course has two feet of elevation change over a two mile, multi-cornered, racing loop. Coupled with a large infield area where other racing activities are conducted, the PIR facility is more than accommodating, it's unrivaled!

The Human Power Challenge is happily more than just a race filled weekend - it has culminated into being one of the most festive social gatherings for the recumbent and HPV clan. We do like to spend lots of time chatting, while gazing at the variety of vehicles present, while telling outrageous tales. That being said, folks bring (and are encouraged to do so!), all types and varieties of HPV steeds, be they professionally manufactured or home-built creations. Some of the concoctions dreamed up by those pioneers are simply awe inspiring. We can only say WOW and bring it on!

We also invite and host businesses that represent products and services conducive to the positive promotion of our community. Vendors are welcome to display their services. Please contact the HPC committee for details on attending the event. http://www.ohpv.org/HPC/page2/Contact.php

HPV racing is not the only activity featured at the Human Power Challenge. In conjunction with our event, the Electrathon America folks hold an annual race that features small electric powered aerodynamic vehicles that demonstrate the skills and talents of high school and adult pioneers of alternative transportation. These vehicles are designed to optimize electric power, capturing engineering skills that must procure an end result of both endurance and speed. This event is exciting and inspirational, "at the flick of a switch." http://www.electrathonamerica.org/We...n_America.html

Come and experience a degree of camaraderie and racing that few events have attained, or hope to. Admission is free for spectators, so come cheer your favorite racers to victory. We invite you to come and get "bent" with us, to be a part of the Human Power Challenge!

More details concerning any of the exciting HPC events and general race information are available at the OHPV website http://www.ohpv.org/HPC/index.html then follow the links to the appropriate area of interest. Any persons or teams interested in participating in this exciting event can receive further information by sending a request to http://www.ohpv.org/HPC/page2/Contact.php
    Last edited by evangundy; 12-30-2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: fixing to show correct year!

How timely for the information and great contact info.

Just a minor digression as to why I am so excited with the post. I was interested in Electric Vehicle EVs back when EV1 and others were out. Then came a three wheeler called Aptera out of San Diego around 2007-08 time frame. I made a deposit to buy one but sadly the company closed its door just this year without producing a sellable car. Liquidation sale was held around Dec. 20, '11. I was very sad over it. So I started looking around. Then I was looking around HPV... Then light went off in my head. Why not put electric motor in HPV.

Can't find a manufacturer in US. The ones out of Netherland are stylish but not sure you can buy one around here. In fact I don't even know who sells them here or makes one here. Some of the ones I see in the US web site are sad. Sad design, looks wise and engineering.

My partner says design one and build it!! Sell it she says!! Well... not so fast. I want to see HPV up close and personal. So definitely, I'm interested in dropping by.

If there is a regular get together for those in HPV, I would like to meet the group.

I'm also painfully aware of the legal limits of what size electric motors are allowed on bicycles and still call it a bicycle. Limits to both speed and power of the motor.

Again thank you for the information.

ahhh but one thing. I just noticed the year as 2011. It's already passed. And your post also says 2011. ????
    Last edited by smilingcat; 12-30-2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: confused

wrong year :-0

Thanks for catching my error on the year - this post is for the upcoming Memorial Weekend, 2012 - I've fixed it here, now I need to go to the other 5 or 6 forums I posted it to, and correct it there. Dang - and I proof read it over and over. And I had the rest of our race committee proof read it and they did not catch it either.

If you are on Facebook, you can friend me, and then see some of the groups - there are a bunch of HPV sites and a few local people. There is some discussion on the OHPV forums (link in first post above) and also on http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/index.php

Edna
    PS: it was nice to meet you at the Scratch-N-Dent sale (I rang up your sale)