Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have so many projects going!

1. socks for my husband
    2. socks for myself
    3. a cowl for my sister that I started 3 times and just may give up on
    4. a sweater jacket for my husband
    5. mittens for myself
    6. more socks for myself!
    7. balled yarn that will be started as a baby sweater in the next couple weeks as a gift for friends who are having a baby!

I am a serial project-starter!
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite/stock Riva
    2010 Jamis Durango 1 Femme
    2006 Diamondback Wildwood (gift from my mother-in-law, so I must keep it! It is really comfy to ride)
    1996 Raleigh M-20 (got my love for cycling going!)

Esmorin, me too. I only have two things I'm knitting at the moment, but a long list of things I want/need to knit. The good thing is that I can't start too many socks at the moment, since I snapped one of my bamboo sock needles and am thus down to one set of US 1 double-pointed needles (which are my go-to size for socks).
    Currently working on:
    1) Some lacy red socks for me (one nearly down, one to go)
    2) Stripey rib scarf in an absolutely lovely merino/alpaca/silk blend. Too bad you can't get the yarn anymore.

Will be working on soon:
    1) Lace scarf for my mom. I need to pick a pattern for this. I bought the yarn and will hopefully be sitting down with her after Christmas to pick one.
    2) Some basic socks for my dad.
    3) Socks for the boyfriend's clown feet
    4) Fingerless gloves, also for the boyfriend...technically these should have been a birthday gift for 2011. His birthday's in January.
    5) Some knitted gloves for me--I'm planning on using them as glove liners. I'm probably going to make them out of my scraps of sock yarn rather than digging into a new ball.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I'm working on my never-ending Babette crochet blanket, which I think has 6-8weeks of work left to do. Maybe 8-10. I've also just bought yarn for this snuggly Million Stripe wrap, to start after Christmas. I love all the beautiful hats in this thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	babette.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	14033  
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by carlotta View Post
    I'm getting the urge to learn to knit (again). My Grandma was a phenomenal (and prolific) knitter and all of her kids (6) plus the grandkids were beneficiaries of her talents. My nephew is still wearing some of the sweaters she knit for my sister and I (not the pink ones...she leaned towards blue/brown Fair Isle patterns and cable patterns) and I wish I would've been adult-sized when she knit my last one so I could still wear it.

She taught me when I was in maybe 3rd grade and I haven't done it since. I'm not sure I need another hobby but I've thought about it more and more lately; it's interesting to see what you guys are working on and gives me a bit more perspective-- other than sweaters she knit a few baby hats and that's about it, it's good to see less time-consuming projects since those seem like a much less intimidating place to start.
    I had the neighbor "grandma" try to teach me to knit when I was 12 or 13...somehow, even though I could crochet up a storm, knitting seemed beyond me at the time.

I JUST learned from my girlfriend last year and have been having so much fun with it. I haven't done anything more complicated than a shawl, and I have knitted several for a women's cancer treatment center. I am longing to learn how to knit hats though, what great gifts they make. What I especially love is that it is so portable. I take a project whenever we drive anywhere...very soothing to the nerves in traffic.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Some of you may remember that I forced myself to learn how to knit just 10 months ago as hand therapy (bad arthritis). Not only did it work, but it's turned out rather better than expected. This is my very first fitted garment and I am just tickled pink that it's good enough that I can even wear it in public It wouldn't win a blue ribbon or anything, but I am NOT complaining. I've completed a good number of other projects, several quite large and complex, since teaching myself a short 10 months ago! This is pure merino wool and is SO soft and warm! I started this in September, after my return to work from medical leave for my knee surgery.

Attachment 17918

Wow, that is gorgeous! Beautiful color. And it's not easy to finish a project like that (hats and fingerless gloves are quick, but a beautiful piece like that takes much longer) - I'm really impressed. Congratulations! Yes, you can proudly wear it in public!

Quote Originally Posted by BikeDutchess View Post
    Wow, that is gorgeous! Beautiful color. And it's not easy to finish a project like that (hats and fingerless gloves are quick, but a beautiful piece like that takes much longer) - I'm really impressed. Congratulations! Yes, you can proudly wear it in public!
    It was fun, and LOT of firsts! First fitted garment, first short rows, first color work, first sleeves/knitting in the round, first...lots of things. I've yet to knit a hat or gloves, haven't seen a pattern yet that I want to do. To me that's the secret, pick something you WANT to do rather than something you're "supposed" to do just because it's for a beginner. The worst that can happen is you learn some skills along the way

Hey, Catrin, that's really cool!

Ooh, can I jump in?

Currently working on socks for DH (Dumbledore's Christmas Stockings) in shades of ginger and brown; Turn a Square hat in USMC colors, also for DH; and Norie in gorgeous shades of garnet for ME. I have some more sock patterns queued up on Ravelry -- socks are fun!

That's lovely! Great pattern and yarn combination!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I just made my first moebius scarf, ribbed, with Fiesta La Boheme yarn and some single ply silk in a similar colorway. And two rows of single-crochet edging. Am fulminating over how to block it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moebius scarf.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	17921

Nice patterns Zone5!

Salsabike, I've not (yet) made my first moebius scarf, however I do now that everyone I know this year who HAS made one has not blocked it. Looks beautiful to me as is!

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    I just made my first moebius scarf, ribbed, with Fiesta La Boheme yarn and some single ply silk in a similar colorway. And two rows of single-crochet edging. Am fulminating over how to block it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moebius scarf.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	17921

Thanks! I've just read a bunch of stuff about why blocking matters, so I am going to try. I got an intricate set of instructions passed along by SadieKate, but I think I need to feel SMARTER than I do at the moment to pursue those. I'll show you guys once I DO block it, just so you can see if it made a difference.

I am dead impressed by what you all are doing.

I'm sort of losey-goosey with blocking - I generally soak, towel roll, and then flatten out to the desired shape. With mobius scarves, I do the ends doubled over straight - and then sort of press the flipped part flat mid-piece. Much clearer in person....
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I am very careful with blocking, and certainly there are different approaches based on fiber and design. Blueberry, your approach for a moeibus scarf is clear, unless I'm misunderstanding it

Salsabike your scarf is pretty, enjoy it! I do know that wet blocking is primarily for wool, I don't know what difference your single ply silk might make. I am sure it will be fabulous!