Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What are you knitting/crocheting right now?

To disable ads, please log-in.

'Tis the season for projects with warm and soft woolies and I'm always curious what others are working on.

I don't have the attention span for anything bigger than a scarf, but I love love LOVE to knit hats. I was given a lot of dorky handknits as a kid, and I am always trying to make something stylin for friends. They take just long enough... I don't get bored by them.

Currently I'm working on these two:

This one is made in snow white bulky Ariosa. 90% merino and 10% cashmere. It is kitten soft. It's a pattern from Sweaterbabe.com

This one will be made in a pale periwinkle 1/2 and 1/2 angora wool blend called Lush by classic elite yarns. The pattern is called "Cabled Canuck" on Ravelry by Tanis Fiber Arts.
    http://www.classiceliteyarns.com/pro...d=1&item_id=17

I also got two hanks of Plymouth's Baby Alpaca Grande, but I still need to find a gorgeous hat pattern for it.

Anyway, one of my favorite yarns to work with is MinnowMerino by Jil Eaton. Heavenly colors and texture.
    http://www.classiceliteyarns.com/pro...id=3&item_id=1

What are you working on?
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

The new dog in my life is interfering with my knitting. Whenever I pull out the yarn and needles, she's in my face, with an expression that says "what are you doing? Can I help? Can I?" But I'm perservering anyway...

I picked up 2 balls of a sport weight silk/wool blend in hot pink from the clearance bin at the LYS. It's destined to be a lace scarf. It was intended to be a Christmas gift for my aunt; as it's only about 3 inches long right now, I'm aiming for Epiphany. Or MLK day. Maybe Easter?

I'm also working my way through these mittens: http://www.knitpicks.com/cfkits/kit_...y.cfm?ID=40981
    It's been a while since I'd done any colorwork, and it's a good challenge.

There's also a single sock waiting for a mate, but I'm using those needles on the mittens...

Those are really pretty, Reesha. Have you considered using your knitting/hat as a way to raise the money you need for your ride? Just a thought.....
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I finished a baby blanket and several hats and was feeling so productive that I hauled out the eternal socks-of-many-misfortunes. So many things have gone wrong with these poor little socks I can't even keep track anymore. The worst was TSA in Mexico taking my needles. I don't even really like the yarn, but I'm coming down the foot, so I might even finish them.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I'm getting the urge to learn to knit (again). My Grandma was a phenomenal (and prolific) knitter and all of her kids (6) plus the grandkids were beneficiaries of her talents. My nephew is still wearing some of the sweaters she knit for my sister and I (not the pink ones...she leaned towards blue/brown Fair Isle patterns and cable patterns) and I wish I would've been adult-sized when she knit my last one so I could still wear it.

She taught me when I was in maybe 3rd grade and I haven't done it since. I'm not sure I need another hobby but I've thought about it more and more lately; it's interesting to see what you guys are working on and gives me a bit more perspective-- other than sweaters she knit a few baby hats and that's about it, it's good to see less time-consuming projects since those seem like a much less intimidating place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Those are really pretty, Reesha. Have you considered using your knitting/hat as a way to raise the money you need for your ride? Just a thought.....
    It has occurred to me... I'm not sure I have the patience though and the best opportunity (the holiday season) has passed. It's worth considering though.

ARGH though. I just came back from strength training and discovered my dog chewed up one of my nice clover knitting needles that the second hat is currently on. I am soooo tired of her chewing on stuff! Underwear, now knitting needles too.
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org

No photos, but I'm working on the Every Way Wrap that was in Vogue Knits magazine a couple of years ago and cast on a small shawl/scarf thing this week, since the wrap was getting monotonous.

KB

I've decided that next year all of my Christmas gifts will be handmade (as I say every year!)

I briefly picked up knitting a couple years ago, learned by watching online videos, and was able to knit my nephew a pretty basketweave blanket and some cute mary jane slippers for myself (love the purlbee website!)

I stopped after that and it appears I've completely forgotten. I would love to get into hat and sock making - they seem like an impossible challenge to me. What was the best (easiest) way for you all to learn these?

P.S. Reesha those hats look beautiful!!
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

As for hats, my mom gave me a couple skeins of Blizzard... a super super chunky alpaca/acrylic yarn with some size 15 double pointed needles. She taught me to connect the cast on stitches in the round and to decrease (knit 2 together). Hats are much easier than you think once you know how to connect a work in the round and decrease.

I find circular needles easier than double pointeds, but you'll still DP's to finish the hat! Maybe go into a yarn shop and ask for a pattern suggestion for a beginner hat knitter?

I'm always worried about TSA taking the needles. It specifically says they're allowed, but it's at the discretion of the agent I guess.

I made a beautiful seed stitch hat for the BF last year. Beautiful more for the yarn than the knitting, but I didn't mess it up either The hardest part was converting the pattern I was using to keep the seed stitch as I reduced the stitching (pattern didn't keep the stitch pattern as it decreased!). I was flying when I was finishing it and had pages of p's and k's and little arrows I was trying to read and follow on the plane. I'm looking for pictures to upload!

And I have circular needles but have never used double-pointed. The hats I've done, you knit together (or purl) to decrease and then just run the yarn through and cinch, then stitch up the back. I'd like to learn to use them but might have to lock up new kitty first!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I've got a few projects going on right now:

1. a pair of fingerless gloves - nice small project for car trips and air travel
    2. shrug/bolero - my watching TV project
    3. chunky ribbed hat - knitalong project with DH, who is learning to knit
    4. pair of socks that I will probably frog because I'm not liking the pattern.
    5. sock yarn scarf that is taking forever!

I only made one thing for holiday gifts -- I learned the hard way last year that it's generally bad for me to knit on a deadline!

ETA: I've flown a lot this last year with my knitting, and security has never been interested in my needles. And I've had all kinds -- metal circs, bamboo, double points. However, they were not so happy about my bike tool in my carry on, they made me check that in.
    Last edited by NbyNW; 12-21-2011 at 05:09 PM.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

They won't take wooden needles. I take them on often. It also helps that they're usually circular needles (I make scarves on circular ones also).

Oh god, seed stitch makes me crazy. It's not exciting enough to really pull my interest, but not easy enough that I can kind of tune out and knit to a movie or something.

Also, yeah, I was working on a hat with my kitty in my lap and looked down and discovered she had gnawed through the strand of yarn I was working with. Doh!

I thought seed stitch was intricate enough to entertain me without being "too much" for a guy. But oh my gosh was it a pain when I had to take stitches out.

Here's a side shot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hat side.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	14028

And a view of the top that sort of shows the spiral as the pattern decreases
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hat top.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	14029

I know I have some of that yarn leftover, too, that would make a great headband or something for me (how matchy-matchy).

I did 7 scarves and am finishing up my 8th. The 8th one is a ruffle one the rest were made with yarn my friend sheered, spun and dyed with natural dye's from veggie's and such on her farm. These are my gifts to very special people this year including myself!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

So my sister just gave me a hank of beautiful violet pima cotton. Need to find something to do with that, too. Scarf? Hat? Something hippie-ish, to match the theme of my Christmas presents. Time to play