Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: winter arrives

To disable ads, please log-in.

Gotta tell you southwestern and California girls this story...

My little guy and I were watching the news tonight and they interviewed a few of you "cold" folk. Gotta tell you we were both snickering thru the whole thing, and then we checked our outdoor thermometer and it said 6 degrees farenh. We both started laughing and he said..."Mummy, those people out there are whimps!" This from my son who goes in the pool when the temp hits 65!

karen

Corsair...we ain't coming till you warm it up a bit for us!!
    Quitting is NOT an option!
    Know the signs of stroke!! www.stroke.org

I'm still not ready to hang my bike up for the season - but my bikes have informed me they are not riding in this cold! I had to stop at REI on my way home to pick up some more toe warmers, and when I came out there was snow swirling around. Hey - where did that come from? Luckily it stopped...

I'm still hoping for temps in the 30s for the weekend - then my wheels will hit the road!

Karen -
    Your story made me laugh - as I'm sitting here watching the temperature drop! Maybe we should all join our TE friends out west!

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Quote Originally Posted by massbikebabe
    Gotta tell you southwestern and California girls this story...

My little guy and I were watching the news tonight and they interviewed a few of you "cold" folk. Gotta tell you we were both snickering thru the whole thing, and then we checked our outdoor thermometer and it said 6 degrees farenh. We both started laughing and he said..."Mummy, those people out there are whimps!" This from my son who goes in the pool when the temp hits 65!

karen

Corsair...we ain't coming till you warm it up a bit for us!!
    Ok this little Aussie cant even imagine that sort of cold.
    The closest thing to real cold Ive experienced is camping in the South Island of NZ in Winter. Not sure how cold that was but it snowed a fair bit and until then I hadnt even seen snow.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

It was so hot today. It was overcast but i was stuck in a glass house from 7 to 11 and that was soooooo hot i drank one bottle of water in an hour!! Then i got shifted in to a plastic house. Not much cooler but it had heaps of shade its all good. And one day ill get pay back for all the bragging!
    If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

summer's here somewhere

Alright...who stole summer? ZubZub did your comment get a spell put on Western Australia? It's not hot at all yet...if you have summer under your desk or in your garage, tell it to come back to WA please...(I'm beginning to think that the 40c days will come eventually but with a vengeance...)

As for winter...I have to say i miss -30c, snowdrifts, winchills, toques.......but not the black ice...Ahhhh....winter on the praries...

c

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck
    Alright...who stole summer? ZubZub did your comment get a spell put on Western Australia? It's not hot at all yet...if you have summer under your desk or in your garage, tell it to come back to WA please...(I'm beginning to think that the 40c days will come eventually but with a vengeance...)

As for winter...I have to say i miss -30c, snowdrifts, winchills, toques.......but not the black ice...Ahhhh....winter on the praries...

c
    Have I got a deal for you crazycanuck. If you hurry we have a special deal running tomorrow. This offer includes temperatures in the teens, 5-11 inches of snow and wind starting early am. I'll even throw in the hot chocolate and three rowdy boys home from school. Don't wait, this offer expires at midnight.

Surly;

I'll throw another boy, and 2 bichon frise dogs who WILL NOT go outside when it is cold...(not even if they have to pee). And as a bonus, I'll throw in a crying seventeen year old female who is anxiously waiting to see if she is accepted at her first choice University. Gawd, I hate snow days!! I know I'll be a short order cook all day!

karen
    Quitting is NOT an option!
    Know the signs of stroke!! www.stroke.org

surly

YOur offer sounded wonderful until you added kids...Perhaps next year?

c

Just remember it's what you are acclimated to. How about riding at 90-100+F? So, some of us are cold wimps.

Off to find my fleece socks now.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Hey Sadiekate - how is the weather over your way? Is it foggy or are things clear at the moment. We keep getting these bright sunny days but of course not when I can ride. I think I would rather it was raining on the days I cant ride at least I wouldnt feel so bad about not being out on my bike.
    Amelia Earhart

Clear, sunny and a tad breezy. If it weren't for the wind, I'd try riding . . . but I'm balance-challenged enough. Ask Kim and V, they can provide a better weather indicator for you unless stuff is coming from Canada.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by massbikebabe
    Surly;

I'll throw another boy, and 2 bichon frise dogs who WILL NOT go outside when it is cold...(not even if they have to pee). And as a bonus, I'll throw in a crying seventeen year old female who is anxiously waiting to see if she is accepted at her first choice University. Gawd, I hate snow days!! I know I'll be a short order cook all day!

karen
    Okay, you beat me with the 17 year old crying female. Besides, those kiddos are suppose to be taking care of you!!!

Crazycanuck, I can't believe the kids were the deal breaker. Maybe they'll go out and play in the snow.

Snow!

Coastal Maine is getting slammed today. It's our first real snow storm of the year...we may get up to a foot by tomorrow morning!

Time to get out the cross country ski gear

-traveller
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

Quote Originally Posted by traveller_62
    Coastal Maine is getting slammed today. It's our first real snow storm of the year...we may get up to a foot by tomorrow morning!
    Time to get out the cross country ski gear
    -traveller
    I wish it would hurry up and snow here. I know you probably think Im crazy but us Aussie girls dont get to see much snow. Ive only got 18 more months to get my snow fix and then the only way I will see snow back home will be if I visit our few snow fields (which with global warming probably wont last much longer) or visit NZ again. So bring the snow on to my little part of the world please we goofy aussies are waiting.
    Amelia Earhart

[QUOTE=Trekhawk]I wish it would hurry up and snow here. [QUOTE]

Goodness Trekhawk, I just looked up the extended forcast for Nevada County, California and,ummm, it doesn't look like there is much snow in your future

Maybe I can FedEx you a snowball

Here is a link to a web cam at one of our neighborhood pubs (Geddy's)...you can at least enjoy a virtual snow storm!
    http://www.geddys.com/geddycams/harborcam/

-traveller

ps- none of the cars that you will see in front of the pub are mine
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond