Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Uninspired on goals

To disable ads, please log-in.

For the last couple of years I've had big fitness goals: Ride XXXX miles, do all five peaks of Death Ride, train for and complete a Triathlon. I usually have something mapped out by mid-December and can't wait to get started. Having a BIG GOAL really helps me stick to a training plan: I work out even when I don't want to, push myself, don't give up until I have that Finisher's Jersey/Medal/ice cream bar.

This year, nothing feels right. I'm kind of burned out on the long rides. I really sucked at CX this year. Setting a weightloss goal is a recipe for disaster (hi, self-sabotage!)

It doesn't help with scheduling that we might be trying for a baby soon (!), so I don't dare register for any big events that I can't transfer out of (Death Ride, why did you do this to me?)

I don't know if I'm looking for advice or just commiseration. I just feel a bit lost and wandering, moreso than usual.

-- gnat!
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Sometimes your priorities in life change and then the types of goals you are used to setting need to change, too. We all go through phases. I've learned to let myself enjoy whatever phase I am going through.
    Trying to get pregnant is a big goal. Sure, it's not cycling related, but it is something you just might be more focused on right now.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

What Crankin said.

I know when I was looking at getting pregnant, I got a little depressed b/c I knew I was going to gain weight, not be as active, etc. Blech. I ended up setting goals like working out 45 minutes a day. I even took up swimming during pregnancy and treated myself to a massage every month

Give yourself a break, I'm sure you'll find your motivation again.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    For one of my sisters she was motivated to exercise enough to stave off gestational diabetes (diabetes 2 tendencies can magnify for some pregnant women.).

She was alert to this already because she did have diabetes 2 reading several yrs. prior to pregnancy. (She did lose 50 lbs. with lifestyle change, but did struggle with weight loss after 2 subsequent pregnancies.)

Just ride around regularily to enjoy yourself....before a child changes your life forever.

This is in itself a good goal for now.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

First off, congrats on the potential baby making! I'm not a mom nor do I desire to be, but I'm always thrilled for my friends when they opt for that fork in the road.

Second, I'd second and third was Crankin and LW said. While I think it's great as a general rule to hold one's feet to the fire, sometimes you just need to let yourself on the hook. Otherwise, life becomes a chore, and that's really not what any of us want out of life, is it? Unless and until you're letting yourself off the hook chronically to the point of it becoming a bad habit, lighten up and enjoy where you are in you life today. Let tomorrow take care of itself another day.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Even without such a huge distraction as maybe trying to get pregnant, I find my enthusiasm for big cycling goals waxes and wanes year to year. After 3 -4 years or so of big goals, I find I need a year of just riding for fun to recharge and rekindle my enthusiasm. I think recognizing that each year doesn't have to be a show stopper, bigger/better than the year before, etc., is important to putting it all in perspective and keeping it fun year to year.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Maybe instead of an end-goal, your goal is to work out a certain number of times per week, or to achieve a certain mileage every week. Plan a big celebration for achieving your goal after __ months.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Yeah, I think one of my fears is that I can't get pregnant right away (age, hormones, sheer number of years on birth control, etc), and then I've lost a whole year doing nothing but, well, uh... That counts as cardio, right?

I do like the idea of having shorter goals or ones based on habit. Maybe I'll look at some 30 Days type of goal setting rather than Big Event or Big Numbers.

Thanks, everyone.

-- gnat!
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

You could add goals in another area too, like clean the closet or read books or organize the garage. If it does take a while to become pregnant, it might be nice to have a little energy directed in another direction.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Don't count on having been on birth control for years to slow you from getting pregnant... a number of women I know, including myself, became pregnant the very first month after stopping the pill, despite having been on it for more years than we could count.

I totally see where you are coming from and like MP I have seen my cycling-goal enthusiasm wax and wane over the years. That's ok. Cycling just for fun, or for the pleasure of discovering new destinations, is great too.

I was thinking like malkin - maybe set a non-fitness goal, just so you have some kind of structure. Or hey, I'll throw pilates out there - my teacher is still teaching and taking classes and she's 6 months pregnant. I'm seriously impressed, b/c she's kicking my butt. And if nothing else, supposedly it makes childbirth much easier because you really learn how to control the right muscles!

Or maybe...involve yourself in someone ELSE's bike goals. Find a protege Someone new who needs help with a training plan, or needs company to get through rides that you might find less than challenging. Nothing gives you a new perspective on a hobby like teaching someone else.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens