Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bike abandonment

To disable ads, please log-in.

I feel like a terrible cyclist! I haven't been on my road bike for months! I'm totally a summertime rider. I don't like riding in cold weather. I use my beach cruiser for errands on nicer days, but when it comes to distances, it's hibernation time.

Am I alone in this?
    Jen

You are not alone!!
    I went for a ride yesterday and it was about 45 - 50 F and I decided that is probably about my limit. I was dressed appropriately, but I don't really have the right gear for much colder weather, and don't want to spend the money, since we have short winters. I'm praying for spring to come quickly!

Right with ya. I have the trainer set up in my living room. Signed up for the Indoor Challenge. Rode outside the first day of December... do you think I have put in five minutes since? Noooooooooooooo.

In all fairness, I've also been busy.
    In all honesty, instead of posting here, I could be on my bike.
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog

Fair weather riders Unite!

I'm trying to do the indoor challenge, but I didn't set a high goal for myself either. Part of the theory is that I'd work out twice a week at my office's gym. Bike is in the living room, and really, there's no good reason that I don't put in some time every evening. Except I'd rather ride outside. Riding inside is exercise, riding outside is fun! And I hate exercising for sake of exercising.
    Beth

The only reason that I am riding my rollers is because of the December Challenge that Veronica started. Otherwise, I would be lazing around eating cookies all day. Wait a minute, I am doing that too but if it wasn't for the December Challenge, I would ONLY be sitting around eating. It's definitely a challenge and I have to force myself.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I'm with you!
    I commute all winter, but will rarely even touch my tri bike until spring.
    Yes, I could put it on the trainer. Yes, I probably should. Yes, I set a ridiculously high number for the challenge, and no, I won't reach it.

I'm with Beth: riding inside feels like exercise. I'd rather be having fun. And even tho my commute is only 3 miles each way- at least I have fun for those 30 minutes a day. Can't say I'd be having fun on the trainer for 30 minutes (heck, I wouldn't be having fun for 5 minutes on the trainer). I thought the indoor challenge would motivate me. I was wrong.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I am the same!

So I moved to Belize, where I can ride my beach cruiser year round.

You are not alone!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I cannot bring myself to ride when it's below 60degrees outside. I miss it...but I get too miserably cold.

I really love spin class too (which I rarely do in warm weather) so I just accept that each has it's season in my world.

I don't like riding in the winter either! Truth be told, I get burnt out if I do one thing for too long. I actually look forward to "running season" in the winter time. And cross country skiing, snow shoeing, and laying around reading a book

I tried doing a winter ride last year and I ended up crashing really hard on an icy patch. That squelched any desire to attempt to ride year 'round.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

[QUOTE=limewave;617454]Truth be told, I get burnt out if I do one thing for too long. I actually look forward to "running season" in the winter time. /QUOTE]

I sometimes get a few winter rides in, but I like doing something else--running, hiking, spinning, yoga--come winter so the break is good. Life's too short. If you're not having fun on some level, why do it?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I've been on the trainer since our first snow in October. We don't have any snow on the roads now, but we still have ice and the sand that they put down for traction. I'm not willing to take the chance of sliding out on either one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    I don't like riding in the winter either! Truth be told, I get burnt out if I do one thing for too long. I actually look forward to "running season" in the winter time. And cross country skiing, snow shoeing, and laying around reading a book

I tried doing a winter ride last year and I ended up crashing really hard on an icy patch. That squelched any desire to attempt to ride year 'round.
    I envy anyone that can cross country ski and snowshoe. Sometimes I pine for the day I will return to 6-7 month winters
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Another fair weather rider here. I haven't been on my bike since October, and I don't feel the least bit guilty about it! I do run, swim, and do weight workouts in the winter. I just can't keep my hands and feet warm on the bike when it's below 60 degrees...

KB

My poor road bike has been sitting all alone for a month now. I don't mind cold weather - usually I will ride my mtb bike in the woods - but I just seem to have fallen out of the habit of riding! To tell the truth, I'm pretty disgusted with myself for not going out for a ride. I have the time, I just don't have the will power.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

My sentiments are pretty much like Limewave's. I am not a total cold wimp and have not put the bike away yet because we haven't had snow, except for the weird 10/31 storm. But, I started back to spin and I so want to x-country ski and snowshoe. I need the mental break. I am not sure if I could ride all year round.
    I have 37 miles to reach my "reach" goal of 3k miles. I am going to have to do them all Saturday, looking at the weather.
    However, my ability to ride in the cold has increased tremendously. You just need the right clothes and attitude. For me that means accepting that the rides are shorter and much slower.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport