Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hitch Receiver Covers

To disable ads, please log-in.

How important is to to have a hitch receiver cover if there isn't anything attached? A friend is helping me remove my hitch rack for the season tomorrow evening. I've looked online for the covers and while I can find basic ones for $3.75, it seems like all of the sites want $6-$9 extra to ship it. I am not paying $12-$13 for something that costs under $4!

I imagine that having it does help prevent rusting...ideas on local stores where I can find such a thing in stock? So far I've not had much luck...but I am probably just not looking in the right place.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    How important is to to have a hitch receiver cover if there isn't anything attached? A friend is helping me remove my hitch rack for the season tomorrow evening. I've looked online for the covers and while I can find basic ones for $3.75, it seems like all of the sites want $6-$9 extra to ship it. I am not paying $12-$13 for something that costs under $4!

I imagine that having it does help prevent rusting...ideas on local stores where I can find such a thing in stock? So far I've not had much luck...but I am probably just not looking in the right place.
    It's not important at all.
    A cover is purely cosmetic and a chance to add a little personality. That's it.
    I got a cheapie Ford emblem one from Target years ago.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

It doesn't keep moisture out and prevent rusting? If that is so, then I see no reason to spend the money.

Apparently, they are important to some people. DH had a Sparky (ASU) hitch cover and someone stole it right off of his car, when we were shopping one day. Now he has a plain black one.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    It doesn't keep moisture out and prevent rusting? If that is so, then I see no reason to spend the money.
    No. If anything, it probably keep moisture in.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I would put a cover on the electrical plug, though. I don't have any experience with trailer electrics specifically, but I've spent way more than my share of time replacing connectors in a certain moto that will remain nameless. (Soldering is where I first realized I needed reading glasses...) Protecting exposed contacts is a good thing.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I would put a cover on the electrical plug, though. I don't have any experience with trailer electrics specifically, but I've spent way more than my share of time replacing connectors in a certain moto that will remain nameless. (Soldering is where I first realized I needed reading glasses...) Protecting exposed contacts is a good thing.
    I don't think I have an electric plug? I just have a 1.25 inch hitch for my Thule hitch rack. I guess I will need to look and see if I do happen to have one...

Unless you got your hitch specifically to tow a trailer, you probably don't have plugs/wires. A bike rack hitch doesn't require it. But if it does - YES, cover those.

Mine doesn't have wires. And no, I don't use a cover.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Got Farm & Fleet over there? About $3 for a plastic one; but they're just cosmetic (covers the rusty scratched up hole).

Electra Townie 7D