Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmmm... breakfast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I experimented with my scone recipe this morning and put chocolate chips in it instead of fresh blueberries. Yummy!

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

You need *both* for max anti-oxidant FX!
    and maybe some brussel sprouts too
    Ha ha ha

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

And the recipe is ....? (Yes, scones are one of the few things I will make.)

I'll make you a copy. It's pretty easy.

V.

TandemHearts.com

post the recipe? I love my cereal + almonds + raisins (blueberries in season) + soymilk, or bagel + peanut butter, but sometimes, enough is enough! L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Scone Recipe - from Cusine at Home

Combine
    2 3/4 cups flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 t. baking powder
    1/2 t. table salt

Blend in
    12 T unsalted butter cut into small chunks - use your fingers. Make sure the butter does not become too soft and oily

Add
    1 cup currants (I use berries - fresh or frozen or chocolate chips instead)
    1 T. orange or lemon zest - I often forget to add this, I left it out when I used chocolate chips on purpose
    1 cup cold heavy cream

Knead and pat the dough into a circle about 8" across and 1" thick. Cut the dough into wedges and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper (last tiime I had run out, it worked fine, but clean up was a little more difficult.)

Brush scones with an egg and water mixture (1 egg, 1 T. water.) Sprinkle with coarse or ganulated sugar (I don't bother with the sugar but the egg and water makes them brown better.)

Bake at 375 for 25 - 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

V.

TandemHearts.com

Is anyone else a fan of soup for breakfast? I can't have the delightful old comfort (starchy) foods like pancakes, cereal, scones, etc - and I get tired of eggs (don't tell my hens.) Soup is filling, warming, nutrutious, easy to digest - really great for workout mornings!

Hi LLB--I've never had soup for breakfast. But it sounds like a perfectly good one to me.

Veronica, thanks for the scone recipe. Have you ever made it with something lower fat than heavy cream? If that's a required element, then I'll be making them only to impress someone! If I could substitute buttermilk or soy milk, then I could do it. Also, is that really twelve tablespoons of butter? No wonder I love scones so much! Lise
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Yes LLB!

I have had soup for breakfast (though not on days like today - 28' and thats with the fan on, in the shade and all the windows open!!!)

Soup for breakfast is great with a slice of bread.
    The other thing I enjoy is left-over stir-fry vegies...

In fact, chops or steak do me well in the morning.

But yes, a warm, chunky soup is delicious, nutritious, low fat and sets me up well for a bike ride.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

I was going to say I love NY style cheesecake for breakfast, but I see you want lowfat. That's no fun!

The scones sound good. When will they be delivered?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Apple crumble also makes for a kick-arse (but not necessarily healthy) breaky!

Quote Originally Posted by Lise
    Veronica, thanks for the scone recipe. Have you ever made it with something lower fat than heavy cream? If that's a required element, then I'll be making them only to impress someone! If I could substitute buttermilk or soy milk, then I could do it. Also, is that really twelve tablespoons of butter? No wonder I love scones so much! Lise
    I've never made scones that don't use ordinary old (that's figurative, not literal ) milk. And I'm pretty sure I've never made scones with any butter/marge. In fact, I suspect I've never made scones that don't involve Alison Holst's Baking Mix. I'm all about simplicity when it comes to cooking.
    Last edited by DirtDiva; 12-12-2005 at 12:56 PM.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Sorry, I don't do lowfat. :-) It just doesn't taste as good. I prefer to eat a little of something that I like. I know that method doesn't work for everyone, but it does for me. The scones are really easy. I often make them on the weekend. I think they are a good pre-ride food.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Were these not the scones that, once upon a ride, I was to split one with SK and ended up inhaling the whole thing?

I agree with you, V. Eat what you want. Just eat less/smaller portion/whatever. But diet can be such a mental game...I know I battled with it for a long time whilst changing my habits (that is, transitioning from watch everything! to eat what I want, just less...).

Plus I have a couple of added advantages. Cheesecake would kill me outright (OK, I exaggerate; I'd really only be miserable for days). And while I will eat (dark) chocolate, I'm not very fond of it.

Yellow said: Were these not the scones that, once upon a ride, I was to split one with SK and ended up inhaling the whole thing?

yep - same recipe - but I used fresh blueberries in those I think.

V.

TandemHearts.com

I forgot about the case of the missing scone! Dagnabit! I want a scone!

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...ighlight=scone
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.