Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help from any Campy riders...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've never ridden a Campy bike...never even seen one up close. I'm trying to find out information on how exactly Campy (Chorus specifically) shifters work. I understand it is some sort of "thumb button" that is used to shift. My question is...is this thumb button used for both up & down shifting? And if so, can someone explain how? Or is the thumb button used for shifting in one direction, and then the shift lever moved (similar to how Shimano levers work) to shift in the other direction? Is the shifting with Campy Chorus smooth and effortless? I'm spec'ing out my new Seven Axiom SL and I'm trying to decide on components. Initially, I was deadset on Ultegra Di2...but after doing some research on the Seven Forum, I'm finding lots of owners are very happy with their Campy Chorus set-ups. The Campy would end up costing about $400 less than the Di2. Any thoughts from Campy riders out there? Thanks!

Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Or is the thumb button used for shifting in one direction, and then the shift lever moved .
    Correct. Right thumb is an Upshift. Left Thumb is downshift.
    Right Lever is Downshift, Left is Upshift.
    When new, I think the shifting is a tad stiff. But very positive at the same time.
    That said, you might try to ride someone's Campy before you invest to make sure the size of the levers, action and lever pressure work for you.
    I'm a big fan of Di2 because it solves so many of these issues for smaller hands.
    My 2c
    Last edited by Seajay; 12-18-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
    Or is the thumb button used for shifting in one direction, and then the shift lever moved .
    Correct. Right thumb is an Upshift. Left Thumb is downshift.
    Right Lever is Downshift, Left is Upshift.

When new, I think the shifting is a tad stiff. But very positive at the same time.
    That said, you might try to ride someone's Campy before you invest to make sure the size of the levers, action and lever pressure work for you.
    I'm a big fan of Di2 because it solves so many of these issues for smaller hands.
    My 2c
    Oh, I see...now that's interesting. So which (thumb or lever) controls what (front or rear)? Is it the right side shifts the rear and left the front? Or is it thumb shifting for the rear, and lever shifting for the front? Or what?
    Thanks for your help, seajay!

Linda

Righty Rear, Lefty front

on any manufacturers' shifters, the controls on the shifter control the same derailleur, either 'up' or 'down'. Right hand shifter controls the rear derailleur, left hand controls the front der.

Have you considered SRAM? Only one control on either shifter to control 'up' or 'down', plus the shift paddle and brake lever can be adjusted for closer reach.

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    Oh, I see...now that's interesting. So which (thumb or lever) controls what (front or rear)? Is it the right side shifts the rear and left the front? Or is it thumb shifting for the rear, and lever shifting for the front? Or what?
    Thanks for your help, seajay!

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Abarnes View Post
    on any manufacturers' shifters, Right hand shifter controls the rear derailleur, left hand controls the front der.
    Thanks Abarnes. I guess I sort of short cut my reply.
    Best to test ride any shifter style before making the commitment.

I used to have a wonderful bike with Campy Chorus and found the shifting a smooth as "butta" and very intuitive once I got through a very small learning curve after being used to Shimano Ultegra.

The front chainrings used friction shifting, which I loved, since I could trim really accurately rather than only have two choices (on a compact chainring). The rear cogs used the typical indexed shifting.

I have medium-sized woman's hands (based on my glove size) and had no problems shifting with the standard Campy levers.

YMMV as my experience all came from 2004-2005, when I owned that bicycle; it's very possible that things have changed since then.

I can't answer your technical question about how the shifting worked as it's been too long to remember those details, but the thumb shifter was great.

I'd buy Campy again in a heartbeat, given the opportunity.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Abarnes View Post
    on any manufacturers' shifters, the controls on the shifter control the same derailleur, either 'up' or 'down'. Right hand shifter controls the rear derailleur, left hand controls the front der.

Have you considered SRAM? Only one control on either shifter to control 'up' or 'down', plus the shift paddle and brake lever can be adjusted for closer reach.
    I have considered SRAM, and test rode both Red and Force over the summer. But my hand issues have continued despite numerous pro fittings. I am now working with another fitter on designing my new custom Seven Axiom SL, and after trying the Di2 and instantly loving it...both he and I think electronic is the best option for me. I just wanted to explore ALL of my options before making any final decisions. I have some time before I need to decide, so I may try and find a bike with Campy just to see if my hands would like it.

Campy shifting is fantastic and very easy to get used to.

I am not a fan of Di2. Mostly for asthetic reasons. Di2 does not look good on a nice sleek bike. The motors are clunky looking and don't get you away from cables completely because you still have brake cables. So now you've got a pretty bike frame that's cluttered with motors and cables.

Also, there's something about the idea of a motor (albeit a small one in the shifter) on a bike that doesn't appeal to me.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    Campy shifting is fantastic and very easy to get used to.

I am not a fan of Di2. Mostly for asthetic reasons. Di2 does not look good on a nice sleek bike. The motors are clunky looking and don't get you away from cables completely because you still have brake cables. So now you've got a pretty bike frame that's cluttered with motors and cables.

Also, there's something about the idea of a motor (albeit a small one in the shifter) on a bike that doesn't appeal to me.
    Well, my goal is to find a shop that has a bike w/Campy in the next week or so. As far as the Di2 goes, if I do go with that...my wiring will all be internal. I've seen several Di2 bikes wired internally, and I think it looks very clean...so I'm not at all concerned about it. My hand issues are my biggest concern right now, and if Di2 is an option that allows me to shift without pain and with little effort...I'm all over it.

The reach on Campy shifters seems to be shorter than others. I've ridden SRAM and Shimano and Campy was by far the most comfortable for me.

Nice that the cables will be hidden, that does make a difference, But I still think that the derailleur motors are clunky looking. But to each their own.

Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I'm sure if you looked at your LBS or perhaps someone in a local club, that you could find someone who rides Campy.

With that said, I own several bikes with Campy, and personally would not use anything else. AS others have mentioned, Campy is very smooth, as all of them are, and the added advantage is that when the shifter wears out you simply have a set of springs installed...rather than throwing the shifter away. It seems to me that all of the companies, have models in their line up now where the reach is shorter... so you simply may have to ask which model is the shortest.

AS someone who has been using Campy since the very early 90's, so I can also attest that the drivetrain wears a bit longer as well... I have way more miles on my cassettes than what I could get from Shimano... just another tidbit.

Building a new bike is very exciting, definitely post some pictures when your new bike is ready!!

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    The reach on Campy shifters seems to be shorter than others. I've ridden SRAM and Shimano and Campy was by far the most comfortable for me.

Nice that the cables will be hidden, that does make a difference, But I still think that the derailleur motors are clunky looking. But to each their own.

The shorter reach is certainly a plus, which definitely makes Campy worthy of considering. My biggest hand issues occur with having to move the shift levers inward (downshift for rear, and upshift for front) on my Ultegra shifters. The "throw" is really long and stiff and bothers my already problematic hands/fingers. How does the "throw" on the Campy levers compare?

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    I'm sure if you looked at your LBS or perhaps someone in a local club, that you could find someone who rides Campy.

With that said, I own several bikes with Campy, and personally would not use anything else. AS others have mentioned, Campy is very smooth, as all of them are, and the added advantage is that when the shifter wears out you simply have a set of springs installed...rather than throwing the shifter away. It seems to me that all of the companies, have models in their line up now where the reach is shorter... so you simply may have to ask which model is the shortest.

AS someone who has been using Campy since the very early 90's, so I can also attest that the drivetrain wears a bit longer as well... I have way more miles on my cassettes than what I could get from Shimano... just another tidbit.

Building a new bike is very exciting, definitely post some pictures when your new bike is ready!!

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com
    It's great to hear that Campy is smooth...as that is important to me. Also nice to hear about less wear on the drivetrain with Campy. Who wouldn't like that?!? Turns out that the dealer that I'm working with on my custom, happens to have a few Campy bikes for me to look at. I'm hoping to get over there in the next day or two. Not sure if I'll actually get to test ride one, but even if they can put one on a trainer so that I can get a feel for the shifting...that would be great. As I mentioned in my reply above to Wahine, my biggest hand problems occur when I have to move the shift levers inward to up/downshift. My hands are just a mess - poor strength, somewhat arthritic, stiff painful joints, and they numb very easily. All those issues tend to make shifting feel like an evil, painful chore. How do the Campy levers stack up in this regard? Are they stiff, with a long throw? Or do the levers move easily, with little effort?

Sounds like Di2 was made for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
    Sounds like Di2 was made for you.
    Doesn't it, though? I will most likely end up going with Di2...I just want to make an informed decision and not overlook an option that might be worth considering. But I'm still leaning heavily towards the Di2.