Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holidays alone

Holidays alone

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, due to some scheduling and communication problems, I'm spending the holidays in CO, alone. I have 7/10 days off between Christmas and New Years and I really have no idea what I'm going to do with that time (especially since money is pretty tight right now). I'm really dreading it. I have money set aside to possibly go skiing with some friends on the 26th but other than that I have no plans.

Plus I am harboring a grudge against the BF, who seemed like he was going to take me up on an offer to use vouchers and get him a ticket out here, but procrastinated on it so long before saying he couldn't that I couldn't get a ticket there at a reasonable price. Part of me is tempted to hop in the car and just drive, anywhere, over New Year's - so no one can find me and I won't be moping around at home. I'm so frustrated. I really loathe holidays by myself. Thanksgiving isn't so bad but Christmas is awful.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I'm so sorry, Jess.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

((((Jess))))

Aw, (((((jess)))))
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Let's get together for coffee while you're off!
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Jess, there have been different times in life (and probably more that lies ahead..depending who outlives the other), where I've been alone on statutory holidays. (ie. Thanksgiving, etc.)

It is harder in the winter compared to summer when I love being outdoors on the bike and don't care if I'm cycling alone (because I do cycle alone part of the time, even when we living with one another. Our personal schedules just doesn't always jive.)

Even wishing 1-2 close (unattached) female friends by phone/Skype would be appreciated by them (and you) and it doesn't have to be on Christmas Day. That's what I would do, probably before Christmas in case they are going off to visit family.

I would/have:
    *prepare a lovely meal for myself
    *earlier during the day, probably gone off to nice cafe or to an indoor market to have something
    *play some music, etc.

I have a large family ...thousands of kms. away who always hope to speak with me. ...every Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.

This is what happens/will continue to happen. It helps alot to have several single, unattached close female friends (and several in my age range who I've known for several decades).

Would I volunteer at a soup kitchen? I dunno. In the past, the volunteer work I've done has been several days/weeks before Christmas Day itself and the organization was doing a fundraiser, event for the public.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

I am sorry Jess...wish I was closer to you so we could at least meet for coffee! I've spent far too many Christmas holidays alone and know exactly what you mean. Hopefully something will work out and you will be able to spend some time with friends.

(((Jess))). I'm so sorry. I have experienced some pretty lonely holidays myself. I also have pleasant memories of cobbled together plans with friends that turned out better than I expected. Do what you can to be with nearby friends and to pamper yourself in some way. Perhaps try to fit in some volunteer work as well.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

(((Jess)))

I'm so sorry! This may be a good time to get some R&R and focus on you. Rent Movies, Borrow Books, Catch Up with friends, Splurge at a spa. If you really dread being alone, perhaps you can join a meetup group (meetup.com) and meet new people. Sending ((hugs)) your way.

Volunteer at a shelter to serve Xmas dinner? Apparently in NZ a lot of people that turn up for Xmas dinner are alone for the holidays but I feel if you can afford it you probably should contribute somehow.

Go to the library and check out a travel guide to your city or somewhere nearby and then visit some places you haven't done or haven't been in a loong while eg. the zoo.

Hang in there jess, this will soon pass.

I like Indy's and Kiwi's idea to volunteer somewhere. Helping others always helps me feel better, and it's a way to stay busy on a day when many businesses and attractions are otherwise closed.

More hugs!

what to do with 7 to 10 days - think outside of the box ;0
    1. drive south to the desert with bike and camping gear
    2. go explore places in the area you have always wanted to go to but never had the time
    3. do something no one ever thought you would do - learn a new skill, paint something crazy
    When I lived on the East coast and all my family was in the west I used to spend holidays by the ocean because it was totally different than family tradition.

Good luck and look forward to hearing what new things you discover!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    I like Indy's and Kiwi's idea to volunteer somewhere. Helping others always helps me feel better, and it's a way to stay busy on a day when many businesses and attractions are otherwise closed.

More hugs!
    THIS!

I have spent many holidays alone and volunteering somehow has always lifted my spirits. Sometimes I have been lucky enough to be adopted by other families on holidays... coworkers with large families locally etc.

I hope you find some cheer though and keep warm!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers