Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Duathletes?

Duathletes?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know this is a "tri" board but I was wondering if there are any others out there who are duathletes. I don't plan on being a tri but am planning on competing in plenty more duathlons and wanted to hear about some others training, eating etc.

ME!!! I have 0 interest in swimming...it's hard enough finding the time I need to train for 2 disciplines (and the nearest public pool is a Y 30 minutes away...can't justify $60/month membership for just me, either).

I've used a training plan from Gale Bernhardt's "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes" and really liked it. I also once used a plan from an old Hersports + Fitness magazine...I didn't like that one. I think it was WAY too aggressive (even though it was billed as a plan for someone who is experienced, but not "elite"). I felt burned-out by race day and my run legs were less strong than they were in the Bernhardt "faster duathlon" plan.

As far as diet...I still need to work on that, and losing 20#s. I don't think an ideal duathlon diet would be really any different than that of any other endurance athlete.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Same here. I have done a tri. I can swim (and my local pool has a "punch-12 card" that let's me buy 12 swims for $60 with no expiration date - ideal for the one or two tri's a year I intend to do). I just don't. Often. Plus, for me, it's too much time and hassle to fit in training for 3 sports when I have a full time job and want to live a life other than training.

I've done several du's this past year. I enjoy the challenge. I don't know how much I train for them other than doing a run-bike-run workout with my tri club and an occasional brick workout. I alter riding and running on different days. I just try to maintain a healthy eating habit (hard when you never met a cookie you didn't like). I don't think I really need any special foods for a sprint distance event. They're generally over and done within 1.5 hours. I suppose I'll have to learn more about in-race eating if I intend to do a longer distance du next June (10k Run1, 70k bike, 10K Run2).
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I don't swim either.

I've only done one du - mostly b/c I don't own a road bike, and I'm not quite confident enough to race on a mountain bike most of the time. But there is a winter (road) duathlon series here with a mtb class for bikes that I'm interested in trying. The races happen rain or shine, bare ground or two feet of snow, and I'd LOVE to try to race in snow

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I am going to hit up the duathlon championships this coming year (in April) and am trying to find a good training program. I need to start up right away and right now I am just winging it... I don't have a coach and am not planning on getting one but I think I can do fairly well (hoping not to sound to arrogant there) Hopefully I won't eat my words!!

Hi there,
    I'm new to this forum and I was excited to see you post! I've done 2 Du so far (classic distance) and i'm planing on 2 to 3 more in 2012. Winter is going to be mainly running 5k, 10k races and 10 miler. I've delivered my second child 8 months ago so i'm slowly getting back to a nice routine.
    I've never used any coach or specific training plans. I try to include a bit of everything during the week (easy runs, tempo, speed and hill repeats) but could surely use more specific advise on pace.
    @Jessmarimba: the Du I've done were on my hybrid and I know what you mean...it's tough! I just bought a CAAD 10 and GOOD GLORY it is a change! it's my first road bike and my avid biker husband is going to help me build up my mileage this winter.
    I'm very happy to have found this forum, and possibly have a place to find advice and share experience)
    thanks ladies

Quote Originally Posted by OJazzy1 View Post
    I know this is a "tri" board but I was wondering if there are any others out there who are duathletes. I don't plan on being a tri but am planning on competing in plenty more duathlons and wanted to hear about some others training, eating etc.
    I've done a few duathlons this year as well and I too probably have a few more in me for next year. I followed the [http://www.team-magic.com/8_Week_Long_Course_Duathlon.pdf plan for the first one since it was brand new to me, had no idea what "brick" training was but I sure learned quickly I also did my first one on my mountain bike and realized I needed a roadie if I wanted to be (more) competitive!

As far as eating, I didn't follow a specific plan just maintained healthy eating and learned when/what I could eat during the training rides for fuel.

@Ojazzy, I winged it too without a coach or anything and did just fine just put the time in on the bike and the miles running and you'll be fine..
    Get busy living or get busy dying..

2010 Cervelo P2-Cobb Flow Max Plus

I downloaded it. Thanks for the direction.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    ME!!! I have 0 interest in swimming...it's hard enough finding the time I need to train for 2 disciplines (and the nearest public pool is a Y 30 minutes away...can't justify $60/month membership for just me, either).

I've used a training plan from Gale Bernhardt's "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes" and really liked it. I also once used a plan from an old Hersports + Fitness magazine...I didn't like that one. I think it was WAY too aggressive (even though it was billed as a plan for someone who is experienced, but not "elite"). I felt burned-out by race day and my run legs were less strong than they were in the Bernhardt "faster duathlon" plan.

As far as diet...I still need to work on that, and losing 20#s. I don't think an ideal duathlon diet would be really any different than that of any other endurance athlete.
    Thanks Looking forward to this book. I have a great friend / ironwoman who has roped me into our spring festivals tri.. but I have no swimming interest/time. I want to do the DU first. and maybe do the TRI next year.
    Women are. Like tea bags; you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water~ Eleanor Roosevelt

This is something I might be interested in, if I actually keep running and can get up to speed, so to speak. I would never be doing it for competition, though, just to do it for myself.
    Probably wouldn't be until 2013, maybe in the fall. For now, once I can do 5K without walking (or injury, more importantly), I might start incorporating some run-bike-runs on my own.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'm about 10 days away from my first duo (2/16/2) of the year. I've logged enough bike miles to be really comfortable with the bike leg, not sure I've logged enough running miles but overall I think I'll be "fine". It's a relatively flat course (it is La afterall haha) and the runs are out and backs. I did a brick workout yesterday and to my surprise my run was a lot faster than I expected. I think the rest from not running a whole lot has actually given me fresh legs, not sure how since I still crossfit 4x a week.

At any rate, best wishes to all the duathletes out there with races coming up!
    Get busy living or get busy dying..

2010 Cervelo P2-Cobb Flow Max Plus

Duathlon training question

Hi –

I’m new to this board but I’m also interested in hearing about training experiences. There is a dualthalon in Central Park this fall and I’m wondering how much training I have to do. Its 2-mile run, 10-mile bike, 2-mile run.

I currently cycle a fair amount (120 miles a week) and have done a few centuries. I can comfortably run 5 miles. Am I being naïve thinking that I won’t have any problems completing this duathlon?

Quote Originally Posted by pedalNY View Post
    Hi –

I’m new to this board but I’m also interested in hearing about training experiences. There is a dualthalon in Central Park this fall and I’m wondering how much training I have to do. Its 2-mile run, 10-mile bike, 2-mile run.

I currently cycle a fair amount (120 miles a week) and have done a few centuries. I can comfortably run 5 miles. Am I being naïve thinking that I won’t have any problems completing this duathlon?
    You could do it today, no problem...heck, you could probably do 2x the distance in a single race. DU it!!!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

You could do it and you will have a blast! It is so much fun.

Thanks – from what I’ve read they don’t close the course in Central Park for this dualthalon which means we have to navigate around all the other people in the park. I’d love to find one in a less crowded area
    Giant Avail 2010
    Specialized Dolce 2005