Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Choice of shoes for first tri

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm doing my first triathlon in two weeks. It's very short, only 500m swim, 15k bike, 5k run.
    I'll definitely be using my new road bike, but not so sure about the pedals. Although I love the Look pedals, the shoes I use with them have that ski boot type of buckle on the top strap, and it's hard enough to get the strap into it even standing still, let alone while trying to pedal. Plus, I'm don't know how people manage to start with the shoes in the pedals as that makes the shoe side flip upside-down from the weight.

So, I guess I'll be using the SPD pedals froms my touring bike and my old Lake lace-up shoes with those spring thingys to tighten the laces without tying them.

Or is there a way to use the Look shoes with the awkward buckle? Anyone done that? I know triathlon cycling shoes have all velcro straps, but I don't want to run out and buy a whole new pair of shoes for this one event. If I decide I really like triathlons I might do that, but I want to decide that after, not before.

Oh, and should I carry an inner tube and pump on the course, or would that be overkill for a 3k loop done 5 times?
    Queen of the sea beasts

You don't have to start with your shoes on your pedals. I never do.

For such a short event, I sometimes carry my tools and tube, sometimes not. Since it's 5 times on the same circuit, I probably wouldn't. If I got a flat, my race would essentially be over and I'd lilkely DNF. Me, I'd still do the run, just 'cause it's my nemesis.

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica; 05-21-2012 at 09:23 AM.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

If you are not used to getting into the shoes while on the pedals I don't know if I would recommend it.

In most of the races I have done with the exception of the Pro/Elites most people put the shoes on first then clip in.

In all my races I put my shoes on first, I have what sounds like a similiar set-up - Specialized road-shoes with 2 straps and a buckle. It only takes me about 30 seconds to put the shoes on, probably as fast as if I tried to get in them while on the bike.

This is your first Tri, right?

Use whichever shoes you think you'd be happiest in, put them on before you get on the bike and take them off after you get back to your transition spot. Don't worry about how long it takes you to put them on and off. Your first Tri should be about having fun and finishing.

On that same note, if you take a tube/flat fixin's with you, the worst thing that will happen is that you will be annoyed by it in your jersey. If you don't, the worst thing that will happen is that you will flat and may not finish your race. I would say that while the consequences are greater for not having that stuff with you, it's much less likely to happen on such a short race so I would tend leave it behind. But if it's really important to you to finish, then you should take it with you.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

So, for those of you that put the shoes on first, do you put them on in the transition area and then head for the mounting line, or do you carry the shoes with you and put then on in the mounting area? (I have covers for my KEO cleats, but they're still not easy to walk in.)
    Queen of the sea beasts

I put my shoes on in transition and run in them to the mount line. I wear SIDI Dominators and use Eggbeater pedals. It's a very walkable combination, although not a typical tri set up.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    My hubs keeps his shoes on his pedals, runs barefoot to the mount line, does a flying mount and puts his shoes on as he rides.

Ummm yeah... I'm FAR too clumsy to try all that.
    7 years of doing tris and I *still* put my shoes on in transition, run to the mount line, stop to get on my bike and then pedal way. I figure the 20 seconds it costs me to do it this way is surely less than the 4 hour trip to the emergency room that would result if I tried to mount my bike running and put my shoes on while riding.
    My shoes aren't too easy to run in, but it doesn't matter. You just clip clop your way to the mount line, saddle up, and get on your way.

Good luck at your first tri. There's truly nothing like it!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Shoes on first then run out to the mounting line.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS