Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I gave up white rice long ago and I hardly ever eat pasta any more. When I do, it's usually in a very good Italian restaurant, and I will plan for that. It's really not that hard. I don't really like the taste of ww pasta, but I will eat it, if served.
    I can't say I never eat white bread/flour, but again, it's rare, and usually in the context of eating out. I buy real whole wheat (not whole grain) small slice Pepperidge Farm bread, as well as raisin bread, and deli flats. I occasionally buy the whole wheat ciabattas or loaves at a good bakery near me, but not often, as I would eat it all in a short time. The only bagels I eat are whole wheat. I just cannot eat simple carbs much and maintain my weight. Same thing with Asian food cooked in soy sauce.
    I probably eat too much fruit and not enough veggies. I eat different salad foods a lot, but don't have cooked veggies that often as a side dish, as my stomach just can't digest most of them. It's not that I can't stand eating them, but it's not worth the pain.
    I was a vegetarian for awhile in my 20s when I had to lose 25 lbs. It worked, but I enjoy eating a variety of chicken, thin pork chops, fish, and beef or veal now. However, that got me off of junk food and eating right. I would say I have beef once every 7-10 days and I eat fish at least once a week, sometimes twice. I eat meatless meals at least once a week, too, as I love beans. Also, I have nuts every day as a snack.
    I do eat 1-2 pieces of dark chocolate almost every day, but other than that, desserts are few and far between.
    I really would like to tweak my diet a bit more, but it already feels kind of restrictive at times, given how much I eat out and cook. I am going to try adding more vegetables in slowly and see how my stomach does. I weigh pretty much what I did in HS, and since I am close to 60, I guess I should be happy.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'm vegan, so I stick to a dairy- and meat-free diet. I've finally discovered as an adult, though, that while I love carbs, my body hates them. I retain weight and get very bloaty with starchy carbs (bread, pasta, grains), so I've recently been eating a small serving protein (tempeh, tofu, or beans), with a half-plate full of veggies and some type of fruit for dessert.

Pastries (cookies, cakes, anything sugar-laden) is definitely another downfall, so I've had to jump off that bandwagon as well and try to stick to a piece of chocolate as my after dinner "treat".
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

That reminds me... I'm so glad holiday baking is over-- I made cookies- one for each of my students last week and it was definitely something I didn't need while I was sick AND trying to stick to a new nutrition plan.

So far the lack of starches after noontime is working great-- I just made a chicken salad sandwich for DBF and just had chicken salad for me, but had it with apple slices, red pepper slices and some avocado. Hit the spot! This 5 300-400 calorie meal thing is really making my body happy
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I weigh pretty much what I did in HS, and since I am close to 60, I guess I should be happy.
    That is quite an accomplishment! I don't think I could ever weigh that little again-- I feel like my hips grew a lot in the first year or so of college. I think I was 130 at my thinnest back then. I'm heavy boned though. When I'm not being careful about what I eat (that is, not trying to lose) my weight naturally hovers around 155. I'm shooting for the 140-145 range with mega bike muscles
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org

It's interesting to read what approach to eating works for different people...

I am thinner than I was in high school- I was around 130 in high school and 117 now, but I'm only 5'1" and I would like to be around 110-112. (I'm 55). I have been in the 140-145 range most of my adult life, but was 149 when I went back to Weightwatchers in Jan 2009. It took over a year with WW and cycling to 112, and I maintained for about 6 months but it crept back up to where I am now. For me, it seems to be reducing sweets, portion control and tracking- I don't notice that specific foods make me gain weight, but salty foods make me gain water very quickly.

When my husband switched to a paleo diet, I couldn't imagine it for myself- I just don't crave that much meat and the restrictions would have caused such a drastic shift in eating that I had no desire to try it myself.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Everyone is different. I am the same height as AZfiddle and I weigh 107. I weighed about 105 in HS, at times 100. I was thin, but not skinny, and definitely not muscular. The most I've ever weighed was about 125 and it was not pretty. I gain everything in my azz and hips and I just got wider and wider until one day my dad told me I looked like a "pig." He was right, though mean. I weighed 130 or so when I was 9 months pg with DS #1 and I didn't look as big then, because I was exercising.
    When I weighed 125 I went on a vegetarian diet and started walking and doing calisthenics. Once I got down to about 105, I kept eating right and exercising. Besides being pregnant, the only other time I gained weight was in my mid forties, when I had gotten burned out on aerobics and sort of let my pre menopausal self think it was OK to just let my body get fat. But, I hated myself and it was during this time DH started riding. One day I went out and walked 5 miles up a huge 3 part hill, when it was about 90 degrees out, and I had no water. I was furious with myself for letting myself gain 15-20 lbs or so, and I cried the whole way. When I got back, DH told me if I could do that walk, I could ride. About 2 months later, he bought me shorts and a jersey and set up an old mt bike for me. I was 47. It took me 2 years to get down to where I am now, but I've never gone back. If my weight gets to 109, that's my danger zone and I make radical changes. In the summer, I don't have to worry. I always get down to 105 without trying.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

My danger zone is 160. I'm at 157 now. I really should have a lower danger zone

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I should clarify the reason for my diet changes in the past few years:

After blood tests, I was advised by ...2 doctors that I should cut back on my white rice, white bread intake, etc. And continue to exercise regularily to keep my natural insulin production normal.

'Course means minimize wine intake, desserts (which I'm not doing well...), etc.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    I have never thought of the word "fasting" as a means to cope with feeling ill.
    I don't think of "fasting" in that way at all.

I just think of it as just eating less later, if I've eaten a large, nice lunch.
    I'm not sure if there is any research behind it, but Mark Sisson, the guy behind the Primal Blueprint (one of the major Paleo books) recommends fasting if you feel you are getting ill. It's supposed to increase your body's fat burn and is supposed to help ramp up defenses. I have found it to be very useful in this regard, actually. I guess the saying, "feed a cold, starve a fever" has some merit.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    I have never thought of the word "fasting" as a means to cope with feeling ill.
    I don't think of "fasting" in that way at all.

I just think of it as just eating less later, if I've eaten a large, nice lunch.
    A number of my students fast for religious reasons for full days or for 12 hours at a time. That's usually the first thing I think of when I think of fasting. I would drink water and tea and rest on the days I would fast. There's no real science behind what I did, other than that it worked for me. I would lay down, give my GI tract a rest, take nice slow walks, and feel better the next day. Working with children, there were a lot of weekends where I could feel something coming on that I was able to nip in the bud this way.

This has been an interesting read.

I'm an omnivore, with a weakness for bakery items, and dark chocolate. Much to my waistline's dismay.
    But in general I try to eat whole grains, a reasonable amount of fruits and vegetables, leaner cuts of meat. I'll eat fried food out, but don't do it at home - too messy. I happen to dislike mushrooms (the texture) and eggs, so will avoid eating them if I'm out to the best that I can without looking like a spoiled picky eater. The only foods I must avoid eating is squid and octopus, don't need another ride to a hosipital by ambulance - anaphalytic shock.

Am borderline hypoglycemic, so I don't fast. I've learned that I have to have protein if I indulge myself in pancakes or waffles for breakfast, and go light on the syrup. Now I'm thinking about pecan waffles with a side of applesauce, and a piece of breakfast ham from Waffle House...
    Beth

I think, no matter what kind of diet you're doing, also keep in mind what's going on in the world. I love rice and wholegrain stuff, but have just recently read about the exploitation of the people working on the rice fields - I mean in a way we always know about it but it slips out of focus in everyday life, I think it's really a good thing if you buy fair trade products event though it might be more expensive. I found many information about food production here.
    Last edited by Lizzz; 12-19-2011 at 11:11 PM.

What's weird though is that we are such an abnormally healthy group. I don't think we're representative of Western food culture at all, which is too bad.

I can't believe some of the things people I know eat, but I hold my tongue. To each their own.

I'm so glad I don't weigh what I did in high school (or jr high). I was around 175 at graduation; now it's 125. Same as 6th grade, but I was a lot shorter back then.

These days, I try to eat seasonally and locally. And I cook from scratch. In the past 4+ years, I've purchased bread twice; I eat plenty of bread, but it's my homemade sourdough. I don't eat much meat, but plenty of dairy and eggs.

It's interesting seeing folk's different strategies-- thanks! But no doubt, we're a not very typical group.

yes, I agree we don't represent western food culture and we shouldn't take all the blame but still everyone's responsible somehow, and one shouldn't close the eyes in general.