Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

The new Ruby, the Jett, the Ariel

To disable ads, please log-in.

Here we go again :/ I'm looking for a new saddle.
    I used the Specialized Ruby 155 (the old model) on my MTB. I really like the fit, I like it's firmness. I think it's a bit on the wide side for me (causes chafing on my thighs).

What I don't like about it are the sharp edges that can cause injuries when mountainbiking.

Because of that, my LBD suggested that I try the Specialized Ariel 143. This one has round edges, but over all I like it less than the Ruby. It causes some numbness (could it be that 143 is too narrow, while 155 is too wide? or maybe just the different form) but the really bad thing about it is that the rails are much shorter (in the front) than the rails of the Ruby which makes my knees hurt after some time (it took a while to figure that one out!).

Once I testrode the Specialized Jett 143 and I remember that I liked it, not as much as the Ruby maybe, but still. I'm not sure if the Jett's rails are longer than the Ariel's or if I didn't use it long enough to make my knees hurt.

The new Ruby has smaller edges than the old model. But from the pictures I'd think it still has sharp edges.

I'm just not sure what to do. I can't testride all the models sadly. Has any one of you both the Jett and the Ruby and can compare the length of the rails? Has any one of you the new Ruby and can say something about the edges being suitable for mtbing? Is the fit of the new Ruby comparable to the older model?

do you have a setback on your seatpost?

I have an adjustable seatpost with very little setback. I think that's the problem. It's ok with the Ruby, but I have to adjust it as far back as it will go.

Someone here mentioned that if you experience problems (like knee pain) you should look at the last thing you changed on your bike - in my case, the saddle. I never even thought about it before that, but if you look closer, the Ariel has about the same length as the Ruby, but it's rails are shorter.

Muirenn, judging only by looks, I like the old version too, but the new one looks very different. Are the edges on the old model rounded? It looks very much like the Ruby to me.

Thank you for the fotos and the links, Muirenn. The edges look comfortable, and a nose for carrying would be nice too.

The new model looks very pear-shaped on the pictures, which could be a problem, but maybe I will give it a try if I can get my hands on one. I had no luck finding the old model online. Maybe one of the LBS still has one.