Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Helmet recommendation

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey there.
    So...I gave myself an early Christmas gift yesterday - the Light and Motion Viz 360. It's a headlight and taillight combo that attaches to your helmet. It is DA BOMB! Brighter, actually, than my Knog Gator 605 headlight.
    However, my helmet - a wonderful Bell Sweep R road helmet - is really not designed to hold lights. Every time I strap lights to it - especially to the back - I really have to contort the straps, twist and bend things, and basically jury-rig the set up to get it to work. I fear I'm putting pressures on the helmet that it wasn't really designed to take. Plus, the lights are all crooked and aimed poorly.
    So...
    I fear my wonderful new light set up would actually be best on a helmet that was designed for commuter use in mind, and not road racing, and could actually take lights being strapped to the front and back.
    Any recommendations? I want something safe, of course, and not bank blowing.
    Thanks!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

"Mountain bike" helmets, like the Giro Hex or Xar probably would work well with your lights. For example:

TE has the Xar and a number of other helmets of a similar style, like the Bell Arella, that should work. I've been shopping for a new road helmet and am thinking of the "mountain bike" helmets like the Xar and have thought about getting a similar light set.

I think the commuter helmets vary a lot. I have a Bern Berkeley and I am not sure how I would hook lights up to that helmet.

This one, the Bell City, looks like it would work:

Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

you might want to consider the light and motion multi sport head strap - if it would fit on your helmet L&M site shows this light on a giro
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I think that's the same light I have. I like it a whole lot.

My helmet is a Bell, but it's discontinued. I looked for a helmet that had a center rib with paired holes alongside.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

That Giro helmet on the L&M site looks more robust than the typical lightweight road type helmets.

When I commuted with my MTB helmet, (Specialized VICE) my helmet light, a Stella 150, worked great. The battery, mounted at the top back, and the light up front, did not faze the fit or balance of the helmet on my head one bit. This is probably because that helmet, and I would guess, most MTB style helmets, fit lower in the front and back, and the Vice extends lower on the sides around the ears too. So it is very stable on my head with the extra weight up top. I now use a Giro Saros for commuting, and while the Stella fits fine on it, the whole helmet has to be strapped real tight and still moves a bit with the extra top-heavy light. I can guess that a even lighter helmet could be even less stable feeling.

If I had a second chance to buy my commuter helmet again, I would buy another Vice as it works so much better with my Stella (even though it makes me look like a mushroom).
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

My helmet is the Bell Variant MTB Helmet. I do think it's discontinued, but it appears to still be available.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by HillSlugger View Post
    I looked for a helmet that had a center rib with paired holes alongside.
    I think that's the key right there -- at least for the front light.
    Of course, what I feared would happen, has happened. A "fin" on the rear of my helmet has cracked - likely from my manhandling the straps on various lights. Now, I'm likely in for a new road helmet and a new commuter helmet (oh, and that TT helmet). Mike is gonna love me! (Mike is the owner of our LBS).
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle