Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yoga tops

Yoga tops

To disable ads, please log-in.

For the love of God, why is it so hard to find a yoga top to my liking? I want something with a high neck made of a stretchy and breathable fabric that is long enough but not too long and that offers sufficient support without hindering my lungs. I know this is a tall order, but I can't find a single top that meets these needs.

I bought a bunch of halter tops a few years back from both Athleta and Prana but styles have since changed. Now, a lot of tops are so long that they basically cover my butt. I don't want to cover my butt; it's not an area that I care to emphasize, and all that extra length just ends up bunching up in unflattering ways. I also don't want to show the entire class my less-than-ample chest. I really get turned off during class when I have to look at people's boobs. My few tops have held up pretty well to a weekly wearings and washings, but they're starting to finally show their age. They need to be replaced.

Argh.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Have you tried Title 9?

I have a few tops from them that I really like. I don't have an ample chest - either it's a 32 C or a 36A. I can't decide which, but neither is ample!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Check lululemon athletica as well.
    http://shop.lululemon.com/products/c...men;tops;tanks

I know this isn't a yoga top exactly, but I love my Sugoi Fizz Tank. It hits right at the hip but doesn't cover my butt and has a high neck and a shelf bra. Very comfy. Also it doesn't bunch up around my waist when I run or walk. Excellent tank.
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

My favorite: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodIB_341_0.html

I would buy a size up from your usual Ibex size and/or get it in black if you don't want it to be too form-fitting.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I keep an eye on their offerings (as I do with Prana and Athleta and a few others), but have never seen one that I've particularly liked. My preference is for a high neck halter style similar to Terry's Euro top. The Euro would actually work just fine--notwithstanding the zippered pocket--but it's a little on the short side for yoga.

I realize I sound like Goldilocks. I am not ordinarily quite this picky when it coms to clothes, but for yoga, I want to feel totally comfortable with what I'm wearing. I don't want to have to pull or tug on my clothes during class or otherwise feel self conscious.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Reesha View Post
    Check lululemon athletica as well.
    http://shop.lululemon.com/products/c...men;tops;tanks

I know this isn't a yoga top exactly, but I love my Sugoi Fizz Tank. It hits right at the hip but doesn't cover my butt and has a high neck and a shelf bra. Very comfy. Also it doesn't bunch up around my waist when I run or walk. Excellent tank.
    I hate Lululemon with the strength of a thousand suns. Well, maybe not that much, but I do not like them. I made the mistake of buying a couple of tops in Chicago last March. They looked okay in the dimly lit fitting room, but then I got them home. They're really long for one. Plus, the internal shelf bra is really narrow so that it barely covers my size 34A chest. The fabric makes me look like I'm 30 pounds overweight (which I'm not). The fabric clings to every bump and crevice of my body. I tried them on again last night with the hope that maybe they had magically transformed themselves. But no; they're awful.

I do like Sugoi as a general rule, so I'll take a look at the Fizz.
    Last edited by indysteel; 12-09-2011 at 07:00 AM.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    My favorite: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodIB_341_0.html

I would buy a size up from your usual Ibex size and/or get it in black if you don't want it to be too form-fitting.
    I love my Ibex bras, but the tank looks like it runs long. Do you know what it measures?

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I hate Lululemon with the strength of a thousand suns. Well, maybe not that much, but I do not like them. I made the mistake of buying a couple of tops in Chicago last March. They looked okay in the dimly lit fitting room, but then I got them home. They're really long for one. Plus, the internal shelf bra is really narrow so that it barely covers my size 34A chest. The fabric makes me look like I'm 30 pounds overweight (which I'm not). The fabric clings to every bump and crevice of my body. I tried them on again last night with the hope that maybe they had magically transformed themselves. But no; they're awful.

I do like Sugoi as a general rule, so I'll take a look at the Fizz.
    I'll be honest, I've never owned anything lululemon. My co-teacher likes it for yoga though, so I thought I'd pass it along. But seriously the fizzzzz tank. So great. I've really put mine through the mill too and it's still in great shape!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I have a Moving Comfort top that has a built-in bra that more or less fits this description. Mine is just like the black and white one, though it's an aqua/white combo. I have used it for yoga.

This one:

Or this one.

This one with thinner straps looks promising too.

No bra necessary. Not even for size D. TE has several others too. Just search Moving Comfort. The styles I linked to are available in either A/B, or C/D, but the two sizes are separate listings on TE.

No idea if they will be too long, they are longer than some tops I have. Sometime, I do have my shirts hemmed, as this bothers me too.
    I was looking at the these earlier today. The one with the skinnier straps looked promising, but the reviews (on Altrec.com I think) really spooked me. They talked about how tight the internal bra is. Plus, I generally don't like molded cups in my workout tops. I'll take a look at some additional reviews though.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Reesha View Post
    I'll be honest, I've never owned anything lululemon. My co-teacher likes it for yoga though, so I thought I'd pass it along. But seriously the fizzzzz tank. So great. I've really put mine through the mill too and it's still in great shape!
    I tried another of their tops on when my yoga studio used to carry them. At the time, I was easily a size 2. I tried on a small if memory serves. It was so tight that I got sort of stuck in it. It took every once of upper body strength I had to get it off.

I'm sure they must work for others because there's a brick and mortar shop in Chicago on every third block. Me, not so much. I do appreciate the suggestion though!

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I tried another of their tops on when my yoga studio used to carry them. At the time, I was easily a size 2. I tried on a small if memory serves. It was so tight that I got sort of stuck in it. It took every once of upper body strength I had to get it off.

I'm sure they must work for others because there's a brick and mortar shop in Chicago on every third block. Me, not so much. I do appreciate the suggestion though!
    Lol I have an easy explanation for that! From teaching 8th grade girls I can safely say that they are a fairly significant part of their demographic. Teensy sizing for twiggy (and affluent) junior high girls.

I love my Ibex bras, but the tank looks like it runs long. Do you know what it measures?
    Unstretched, my small one is 14" from the lowest point in the neckline to the bottom. There's a considerable amount of stretch to it, though. I'm 5'3" with no waist and it isn't too long for me. Even if it were, the great thing about merino is that I can let it bunch up a little bit around the waist and hips and it looks and feels fine, it just kind of drapes.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Unstretched, my small one is 14" from the lowest point in the neckline to the bottom. There's a considerable amount of stretch to it, though. I'm 5'3" with no waist and it isn't too long for me. Even if it were, the great thing about merino is that I can let it bunch up a little bit around the waist and hips and it looks and feels fine, it just kind of drapes.
    Thanks for the info. That might work. Merino would sure feel luxurious in class!

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Indy, I have had the same experience with yoga tops. They are getting too long. I have one Athleta one that is perfect and I guess I'd better get more before they stop making it. I can't stand the bunching up. I do wear my Eurohalters, as they are the most comfortable, long enough (don't care if some skin shows on my back), and the print distracts from any headlight issues. The zippered pocket is annoying, but, I don't care. I bought a YMMV tank, and it's really thin and breathable, but way too long. I should have bought an XX small, instead of my usual X small . Of course, it would probably still be too long and then too tight.
    Most Sugoi things fit me perfectly, so I will look into that, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Cranklin, which Athleta top do you have that you like?

--Mary Anne Radmacher