Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Nook Tablet/Kindle Fire

To disable ads, please log-in.

Still trying to decide on a Kindle Fire or Nook Color(or Nook Tablet). Is anyone using either of these? Courious how either of these are performing as a tablet? I have an original Nook, so I'm sort of leaning toward another Nook. I know the Kindle Fire has more memory than the Nook - the Nook Color is $199 and the Nook Tablet is $249. They're both pretty comparable. So just looking for some feedback from someone actually using one. Thanks
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

My mom got me a Nook color for my birthday a couple weeks ago and so far I love it! I haven't read up on it too much yet. I like that I can read in bed without a light on and it has nighttime selection so it isn't as bright. I have read 3 books already and am halfway through my 4th. I think the only difference between this and the tablet is memory capacity and the tablet is a little bigger.
    2005? Storck Senario cd 1.0 with SRAM Force, Specialized Romin Comp Gel 155 saddle
    1998 Lemond Tourmalet
    2007 Gary Fisher HKEK

This review says the Fire
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011112...hich-one-wins-

This one says the Nook
    http://www.businessinsider.com/kindl...ablet-2011-12#

I hope I've helped

I am going to get my Mom the fire, but only because she's got a very early version of the Kindle, so I am hoping for an easier learning curve and continued use of her library. If I were going to get it for me, I'd get the Nook. Oh - and for my mom, her biggest complaint about my Nook when she tried it and a friends iPad were that they were heavy (the old Nook is no heavier than a book), and all of these new tablet readers are heavier than her old Kindle, but the new Kindle is the lightest, I think.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

I just bought my husband the kindle fire for Christmas. He's a computer geek, and that's the one he chose. We are also already Amazon Prime members, so that might have had something to do with his choice.

He hasn't actually received it yet, so I don't have an feedback to share! I would say that it probably weighs about the same as the regular kindle just based on my experience when wrapping it. (We both own kindles, too).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I got the Kindle Fire for my college aged daughter. She is a reading maniac.

Not all who wander are lost

I have both. Really it depends on which company you plan to support. You can sidleload the Kindle on your Nook Tablet w/o having to ruin your warranty or undo software. It was kind of pain, but it works fine. If you are really good with Android software, my understanding is you can put the Android store in. I figure I'm good with my Kindle and Amazon app store.

The Nook has more book settings to play with. You can have bookshelves, edit your library more, put a nice screen saver on(I have an animated fish tank) more fonts to choose from and nicer reading background colors to choose from. I can install movies via the SD card but you can't store them on the Nook. I have no desire to have Hulu+ or Netflix on my Nook as I don't care for either and don't want to pay every month to use it. If you have software that converts DVDs to a movie file even better. It was nice to download a movie of mine and watch it.

However; with the Kindle Fire, you can use Amazon's site to download/stream movies. Be warned, both tablets have terrible sound volume which sucks since they support movies and audio books. Bad decision on their part.

The Fire is pretty basic. You have no bookshelves so you endlessly turn the carousel to find the book or use your search. You can either have the book on or archive it. You are stuck with an ugly bookcase for the background with oversized icons of your books/apps. It's pretty basic.

Both load the internet fast and browsing is easy. I think the Fire's touchscreen is more responsive so I tend to use the internet more on it. The colors are nice on both, but I think the Nook has more vivid looking ones.

Battery life on both is just fine.

You can't go wrong with either one. If you are more of a detailed book reader and want more editing options, the Nook is probably the better choice. If you want simple and quick, the Fire is the way to go.

I am definitely enjoying the kindle fire that my husband bought for my birthday.
    Shortcomings: if you're not used to this interface, it can drive you crazy. I have read 2 library books and another book on it already. WONDERFUL for this.
    its browser is so so, there are things i can't do, little things, like i couldn't figure out how to do a search on youtube, usually an easy operation.
    One of the features on kindles that SOLD me was that you could have a different dictionary (instead of the english one) so you could easily read books in another language. To my utter disappointment, it doesn't work on Kindle fire. I called and complained and was told that they "are listening" and hopefully there will be an update in the near future that will solve this.
    Another issue, not big yet, is that it will run out of juice on an international flight. the battery is supposed to last 8 hours. I turned the brightness all the way down, but i don't know how much time that buys me.
    it's a great toy/tool.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

My partner saw me reading a book on my droid tablet computer. She wants one.

Kindle fire is going to be her present. She saw the kindle and the nook and she prefers kindle. It's a personal choice really.

i've had my tablet for a month or so and still struggling through the first book. I'm a s--l--o--w reader. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries Of Financial Folly". TMI in the book.

And yes my droid has kindle app on it along with pdf reader.

I've looked at both of the current offerings. I have the 2010 Sony Reader (Daily version) that I really like so am not in the market. I like, very much, that it isn't backlit. If I were in the market, I would probably choose the Nook, the color version. From what I can tell it has more actual book-related settings and, for me, that is the purpose of an electronic reader... reading

LeeBob is really enjoying his Fire.

I haven't been following the pros & cons of Kindle vs Nook; we already had a Kindle and we have Amazon Prime so it made sense for our situation.

Since we have Amazon Prime I often find him holed away with earphones on watching some old TV show ... or I hear him burst out in chuckles.

He's a sort of geek and follows Kindle user groups so he's found a bunch of tricks. He's bringing it on our trip up north so we'll know more about how well it works when its away from the mother ship.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

I have the Kindle Fire and am really enjoying it. The Fire still needs a few tweaks to get it right -- but does most things well enough. I love the size, the touch screen, and the convenience. The Silk browser seems fast and responsive. It's great for reading and web based research. I've been an Amazon Prime member since they started the program. This influenced my decision to go with the Fire.
    --Nick
    2012 Santa Cruz Juliana R xc (blue)
    Vintage Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo 24 speed (red)