Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help needed! - Picking a bike and general advice

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am looking to get into riding for exercise and for fun in NYC. I am 5'10, 300lbs and a woman. I have no idea what kind of bike would be good for a not very strong beginner. I am pretty proportional weight wise, so there shouldn't be problems unless a bike is really tiny (ie no belly in the way, just fat all over lol). My legs are quite long though. My commute to school is about 2.5 miles of city traffic in a busy part of town.

Any bike suggestions, or any other suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

I encourage you to read Lovely Bicycle, especially her earlier post. She lives in Boston and offers some great ideas for commuting and branching out from there. My opinion is to go try a few different styles and see what you feel the most confident on. ENJOY
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by StayDreaming View Post
    I am looking to get into riding for exercise and for fun in NYC. I am 5'10, 300lbs and a woman. I have no idea what kind of bike would be good for a not very strong beginner. I am pretty proportional weight wise, so there shouldn't be problems unless a bike is really tiny (ie no belly in the way, just fat all over lol). My legs are quite long though. My commute to school is about 2.5 miles of city traffic in a busy part of town.

Any bike suggestions, or any other suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
    What is your budget?
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Welcome! I don't really have any specific advice, except don't settle for a bike that's too heavy because you're a beginner. No-one deserves a terrible bike. And try them out. And don't let a shop push you into buying something you're not sure about. Smile and try another shop. A good one will be patient.

I love seeing people finding cycling though May you find much of the joy many of us find in it.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I would definitely look at some of the Crank Forward bikes that Rans makes if you have ~$1000 to spend.

Otherwise I'm with Muirenn, a Kona Dew is great and also Salsa Fargo's! I think a flatbar Surly Long Haul trucker might also be a nice choice
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Make sure it fits properly. No other real advise.

Go to a LBS (Local Bike Shop) not a box store.
    2011 Trek WSD Madone 3.1
    Asama Luddite (cheap hybrid) 2008 or 2009
    Kuwahara Savage MTB - early 90s

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Welcome! I don't really have any specific advice, except don't settle for a bike that's too heavy because you're a beginner. No-one deserves a terrible bike.
    Hey now, I love my terrible beginner bike! Sometimes when it's love at first sight, you just have to go with it. And I still love my 30 year old, high-ten department-store mixte despite the fact I have soma and know better

My advice is don't feel like you're settling if you happen to find a perfect bike that's also a pig. Lighter bikes are over-rated, and a heavier bike will make you stronger, haha.

It is hard to give advice on 'the best bike' because that's going to be different to everyone. Ask yourself questions, what's your budget? Is style important? Do you feel like you need disc breaks? Is theft a big concern? Will rust be an issue, or do you want a frame that can take rough treatment? Do you need your bike to take fenders & rack? Might you go off-road on this bike? Is it unreasonable to cheap out on this one, and then get a second bike when you get a better idea of what you need? (I did that and it worked out well for me)

Once you have your list of do's and don'ts finding a good bike will be easier, by process of elimination.

Antaresia, your heavy old mixte is beautiful!

StayDreaming, are you still out there? Looking at bikes?
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Hey everyone!

I'm here! I assumed that I would get emails if I got any replies, and I assumed wrong haha, so I just checked back in today.

I really appreciate all the advice from everyone, and you have given me much to think about. Since I am a struggling grad student, I think my first priority would be my budget! I was hoping to spend $200-$400 maximum, because I am not a serious rider, I just need a vehicle first!

You all mentioned terms that I have never heard of let alone considered so I may be better off just going to a bike shop than trying to tease out the knowledge from google. However, if there are people buying $2200 bikes, will I be welcome?? lol

I will be looking at all of the suggestions made, and I will also see if I can get a bike secondhand, so if you know of anyone looking to unload an old bike in the NYC area, please let me know.

Are there any questions that I should know to ask?

Actually the Jamis that Muirenn linked to is pretty good.

I got my beater bike used from a bike rental company on the Upper West Side. I paid $100 for a 2010 Giant Cypress in good condition. The frame is steel, the seat is nice and comfy and the ride is smooth. A new one is about $350 but since this was a beater to put on a trainer, I wanted to spend the least amount possible. The Giant Cyress is actually considered a "Comfort" bike - great for beginner riders - it feels like I'm riding a couch!

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....w/3919/36573/

Quote Originally Posted by StayDreaming View Post
    I'm here! I assumed that I would get emails if I got any replies, and I assumed wrong haha, so I just checked back in today.

I really appreciate all the advice from everyone, and you have given me much to think about. Since I am a struggling grad student, I think my first priority would be my budget! I was hoping to spend $200-$400 maximum, because I am not a serious rider, I just need a vehicle first!

You all mentioned terms that I have never heard of let alone considered so I may be better off just going to a bike shop than trying to tease out the knowledge from google. However, if there are people buying $2200 bikes, will I be welcome?? lol

I will be looking at all of the suggestions made, and I will also see if I can get a bike secondhand, so if you know of anyone looking to unload an old bike in the NYC area, please let me know.

Are there any questions that I should know to ask?
    We don't care what you ride, just that you ride it and enjoy it.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

My only suggestion, born from experience, is make sure that you buy a bike that you love. It's just as easy to love a less expensive bike, and it's loving a bike that will get you riding and keep you riding.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

very green

I am very new to cycling. I have been out 4 times in the last 10 days and i have to say I have found my new passion. Now I need to buy myself a bike since I am using a man's hand me down! A few questions 1. What is the best brand of road bike? What componantary should I be asking about? Is there anything else I need to know? I am so excited, going for a 25km ride in the morning with my son!!

The best brand of road bike is the one that fits you well and you enjoy riding. Your best bet is to go to a Local Bike Shop (LBS) talk with them, look at options, ride several models, then go to another LBS. The point being you need to find out what is out there and how the LBS treat you as a new rider. You probably need to have a budget in mind since some of these bikes are very very expensive! When you buy a bike, the LBS you buy from will do repairs and have accessories for you to buy, so think of it as a long term relationship. With respect to brand, if it is being sold in a LBS, it is a decent brand. Some bikes won't fit you well, others won't be aesthetically pleasing to you. Keep looking until you find the one that makes you smile. Also, you might fit better on a unisex bike (formerly called mens) than a Women's Specific Designed one...try both. Enjoy the hunt for the perfect bike for you.

P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143