Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Cross country skiing

A mountain bike friend of mine who is also off the trail for now has offered to let me try out her cross-country skis this winter in northern Indiana to see what I think of it. I am interested...but unsure how good an idea it is. This isn't down-hill of course, "just" cross-country.

How hard is this on the knees? I've a cranky knee that doesn't allow me to run due to an unstable patella ("runners knee"). Is this a real concern? I've been trying to research this but haven't been able to find what I am looking for. I know we have a lot of members who do this so figured I should ask here

I think that it probably has the same stresses as cycling or hiking, depending on how much climbing and descending you do. My knees never hurt when I ski.
    Just to warn you, Catrin, there is "downhill" in x country skiing. Of course, it's minimal on beginner trails. But when I started, over 20 years ago, I never got off of the beginner trails, and it was boring. After I started cycling, I became more adventurous and it wasn't really a big deal. The climbing is like climbing in cycling; you can do it slowly, it can be challenging, but it's a real accomplishment when you are done. I am much more adventurous with descending on skinny skis as opposed to on my bike. Again, I am not a speed demon, but I've done some tough stuff.
    Can you tell that I love this sport?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks Crankin, and that makes sense about the downhill...it isn't as if cross-country mountain biking doesn't have descents I had to laugh when my friend kept telling me how flat cross-country skiing is! It is good to know that you haven't had knee pain doing this.

My neck may be a limiting factor this weekend with new activities that require balancing. If these injections work and the pain/neurological decreases then I will likely try it since mountain biking season is pretty much shot now. Snow shoes might also be interesting...but for either sport I would likely have to drive to northern Indiana to do them with any regularity.

Catrin - when you say x-country skiing, are you referring to classic style? If yes, I agree with Crankin that you likely won't have knee issues above and beyond those found with cycling/hiking (though the descents can be tougher on the knees).

If, however, you are referring to skate skiing, I would comment that the torsional strain on the knee is greater than classical skiing, and I do get achy knees after a full day of skating.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    Catrin - when you say x-country skiing, are you referring to classic style? If yes, I agree with Crankin that you likely won't have knee issues above and beyond those found with cycling/hiking (though the descents can be tougher on the knees).

If, however, you are referring to skate skiing, I would comment that the torsional strain on the knee is greater than classical skiing, and I do get achy knees after a full day of skating.

SheFly
    I honestly do not know the difference between the two, and it may not happen. One of my mtb friends really would like me to try it and so far all I have committed to is that I will consider it. I will ask her which she means, thanks!

OK I tried looking up a definition for you, but everything was too complicated .

Classical skiing is typically two parallel tracks and the motion is kind of like shuffling forward (it's really striding if you're doing it right, shuffling if you're me ), but the skis are pointed straight in front of you.

Skate skiing is a side motion with each leg - it mimics skating on ice skates. It's the side torsion that can mess with the knee - especially if your technique is off.

Does that help differentiate? Sorry to confuse the issue.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Well, I have to admit that the snow cover is getting very thin. We've been able to ski all week, but now you definitely need to use your "rock" ski's. I'm assuming that by the time that I fully get ready to change over to riding outside each day that the weather will change once again.

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

We are staying in Franconia for the weekend. No snow here, but we went to Bretton Woods today and the conditions were great. We skied to the AMC Highland Center and had lunch. They were a stop on the chocolate ski tour and we partook a little. We skied a little over 9 miles. I am exhausted.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Finished up the weekend with a 4 mile ski at Bear Notch Ski center. This is a family owned small x country center (about 65k of trails, but very bare facilities) that always has snow. It was between 8-11 degrees and brutally windy, but my friend had just bought new skis in the AM and wanted to try them out. After a brutal climb up a black trail, we had a nice gentle descent. Conditions were slicker than yesterday and a good deal of the trail was groomed, but not tracked, not the best for me. But, it was great.
    Going to Craftsbury in 2 weeks.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

WOW! it's hard to believe that Franconia and Bear Notch don't have a lot of snow. Although when I look out the window, I shouldn't be surprised at all! Glad to hear that you had a good time Crankin!!

All I know is that unless we get more sb now here soon, it won't be here for much longer.

Waaah, it's gonna rain tomorrow That could mean the end of good skiing conditions in my backyard woods, though it should last for some more weeks in the slightly higher parts.

Most of all I'm feeling sorry for a friend of mine. She's doing this massive xc ski event tomorrow that circumnavigates most of Oslo. It's 90 km long and she's expecting to take nine hours - in wet snow and sleet I've never skied more than about half that in one day, so I'm madly impressed.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

While I know most of you are not 'thinking' about skiing; I have to tell you that with the new snow we received last weekend....well it's fabulous! My outing today was more like spring type of day by the time I was finishing, sun was out, snow was melting and it was one of those 'blue bird'days. A day certainly that I did not want to go back to the shop But with a trainer class tonight, it's time to also think of my bike and the fact that with more snow coming tonight.. it won't be anytime soon that I'll be riding outside.

I am in Craftsbury and it's like I died and went to heaven. It was 28 degrees and lightly snowing all day. We skied 12K on fresh powder. The trails at the Outdoor Center are so wide and the black trails are not that hard. Tomorrow we are getting dropped off at the center and skiing back down to the inn, about 7.5K and then we will go to Greensboro and ski at Highland Lodge, which is now run by the outdoor center. Well, the trails are being groomed by them, as the lodge went out of business. Trails there are tough, but there is one very long and steep black descent that I will only do on perfect powder and tomorrow might be the day. I did it once, 4 years ago.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Sounds like a wonderful place to be Crankin... and of course your timing is perfect. Have a great weekend, hopefully the projection for Saturday is something that will change.

Got out today myself, and had a great time. As you mentioned fresh powder with snow coming down; I certainly couldn't ask for anything better. I'm hoping to get up to Kingfield next week and ski into one of the MAine Huts. I'll know more about it over the weekend. Ever been there?

Yes, I have been to Little Lyford Pond, run by AMC. But, it was in the summer. They have a supported hut to hit ski tour I would love to do. The only issue is using the outdoor bathrooms in the middle of the night at 5 below zero!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura