Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Got out for the first skate of the season this week, albeit on man-made snow. There was only 2 km open, and about 500 people on it, but it was nice to be out doing something different!

ridebikeme - how's the snow up there? We're heeading to Bethel next weekend and looking to do some skating...

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Shefly, as of now the snow is pretty decent... we received about 6" last night. Obviously it's not your typical winter with snow fall, but this last storm has really helped. The weather forecast for Monday looks as though it might rain, but I'm hoping that they are wrong. If you're looking to nordic ski while you're here, the best area is probably Black Mtn . Obviously they made snow for Nationals and the new snowfall has only helped them out. I'm sure that the Bethel Inn, Carters are probably ok as well, just not as much snow. Not sure whether Sunday River has opened the Outdoor Ctr or not; I would tend to think that they have. Definitely keep an eye out on the weather though!! Have a good weekend!

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

LPH, I'm not sure whether I'm following you about the "kuzmin". Could you explain it in more detail? It seems that the people who race here may put different textures in their base(s) or have multiple ski's. And although you obviously scrape wax off your ski's after you wax, I'm not sure that I am following you. Are you saying that you scrape down enough to be on the base material alone?

I worked today, and while I'm mounting ski's etc... I kept thinking about your email about this... didn't have time to email you before I left.

I tried to find a link but it was a bit wonky. Anyway, the "scrape" (dammit, can't remember the word, works more like the thing you peel thin shavings off a piece of wood with, bevel?) is just a square piece of metal with four sharpened edges. Invented by Russian skier Leonid Kuzmin. He made 3, for cold, "medium" and warm temps, and they give slightly different textures in the base. The theory is that you scrape off the worn outer layer down to fresh base every now and then, but do not apply glider wax. You have to fix your skis in a clamp, then scrape the entire length with firm pressure, to avoid nicks or cuts. You apply kick wax as normal under the kick zone.

I doubt that really elite skiers use it, but the "Kuzmin scrape" has become very popular among both competitive and recreational skiers here, anyone interested enough to mess around with melting in different glider waxes in the first place. We just have the "medium" one, and so far the glide seems good.

And hey, it's a gizmo
    Last edited by lph; 01-20-2012 at 11:31 PM.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

This is why I have waxless skis. I put the Swix glide stuff on every couple of times, especially if it's warmer out, but I would not be able to stand doing this kind of maintenance every time I ski.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Maybe I was unclear - this is a lot less work than applying glider every few times, as you only scrape your skis once or twice a season, and it's a lot less messy. I haven't scraped my skis since sometime last winter, and we had way better glide today than our two ski enthusiast friends who use traditional glider wax.

Kick wax does have to be applied almost every time, unless the temperature range is the same as last time you were out. But that takes me less than a minute. The time it takes to pack my hipbelt and fit in all the little extras so I don't freeze to death waiting for the bus home is what frustrates me!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

LPH, thanks for taking the time to explain. NO, I haven't heard of anyone doing this, but perhaps I have missed it??

At present, I too, have no wax ski's. Although I will say that my next investment will be either backcountry ski's OR a wax ski. I've certainly waxed many snowboards over the years, although I know that is a bit different. I'd be interested in finding out where I can buy one of these? Any suggestions??

Got out for a quick ski today, Shanna(my chocolate lab) and I did about 4 miles. With the new snow, it was definitely slower and we needed to break trail for about a mile. Cold out today but was AWESOME to be out!!!

Crankin, how was the demo?

Demo is tomorrow. I did a quick late afternoon snowshoe on my local conservation land trails I can access from my neighborhood.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I went skiing!
    The conditions at Windblown were outstanding. But, because of the EMS demo day, the parking lot was the most crowed I have ever seen. We had to park waaay at the top, where the different vendors had their booths set up, and pay for our passes there, instead of the lodge. I glanced at the Fischer booth and it was mobbed, so I made the decision to just talk to the guy later.
    We skied down to the lodge, as I had to pee really badly! That went well, until I went down a little cut through trail that wasn't groomed and I started getting shaky knees, and I slowed down. DH skied right into me.
    After that, we headed out on all of our favorite trails. For some reason, I felt slow and my stomach was not feeling well. But, I only had one "knee touch" on a climb, and did well on the descents. It was gloriously sunny and I could have worn a lighter mid layer. Didn't even keep track of the miles, probably not a ton, but I skied for 2+ hrs. We went to the lodge and had the outstanding home made apple-squash soup and the half a soynut butter sandwich I brought.

We decided to end it there, as I really didn't want to overdo my first ski. We skied back to the car and I talked to the Fischer rep. He showed me the new Silent Spider ski, and we compared the bottoms and edges to my Spiders, which are only 2 years old. He said the only way to compare is to ski with one of each on different feet. The small sized demos were out, and I was tired, so I made the decision that I really don't need new skis. My skis worked perfectly today and being slow was not their fault!
    I need to not drink coffee before skiing; one cup of tea is better.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I had a nice and very local ski yesterday. Started 1 mile from my house on the Reformatory Branch rail trail in Bedford, MA. Skied about a mile out the trail with a friend, then we headed off the trail onto some other paths through the woods. Followed a creek for awhile and ended up at the local farm, where we visited the sheep and goats in the petting area, browsed the farm store, and looked over Santa's Village. Then did some bushwacking on the way back, following blue blazes through the woods that weren't really a trail. It was beautiful to be out. I'd done some hard backcountry skiing in NH the weekend before, and a day of telemarking at Wachusett last Thursday, so yesterday was just a relaxing jaunt to enjoy the fresh snow.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

We started our season with an hour of getting our ski legs back. We're beginners at this sport, but we love it. Fortunately, my neighbor lets us use her open back yard, then we can cut some trails through the woods to make it more interesting.

Would have loved to stay out longer, but reminded myself that I need to be able to move tomorrow. I'll be sitting at my desk most of the day, which would stiffen up the joints even more.

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

I got out yesterday as well. I took my 11 yo nephew and a couple of four legged friends and we had a great time! Hoping to get out today as well...

Crankin, I think in terms of demoing ski's that the best scenerio is to test them on the same types of trails and same conditions. Differences in strength from one leg to the other, different leg lengths, past injuires can have a huge impact on demoing ski's when using one old ski and one new. But it sounds as though you made a wise decision with the ski's that you have.Sounds like you had a great day... it's amazing how a little bit of snow makes everyone happy!

DebW - you're living in Bedford now? I know all of those trails off the Reformatory Branch - great for MTB!

We rode bikes on Saturday (yes, in the snow), but did get out to Weston to ski yesterday. That was my second time there this season. Cover was a bit thin, but everything was open. We went later in the day to avoid the crowds, but we also missed the sunny part of the day that way.

Heading up to Maine for some skiing this weekend. Fingers crossed that the rain holds off up there.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Ahhh it's great to hear that all of you were out on your ski's over the weekend. I just came back from taking my favorite companion(shanna, chocolate lab) out for a short ski. It was beautiful out yesterday, but I have to say with the warm temps and possobily rain this week... well hopefully the snow holds out. It certainly is very thin I still have not even had the new ski's out yet...

I was able to take DD XC skiing again. It took us about 2 hours to go 2k . . . but we did sections over and over again--the hills. And we stopped at the Luge for awhile to watch the brave souls make their run. You can ski right up to the course and lean over so that your face is just 2 feet above theirs as they slide by! You could reach out and give them a high-five! Although, I would never recommend that. Taking your hand off the sled is a good way to break an arm. It was entertaining to see the different expressions of the Lugers.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog