Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by uk elephant View Post
    and felt like I could have kept going.
    That is exactly how you should feel after every training run if consistency is part of your plan! Good job!

Lots of good running here. Me, not so much. I've been slacking lately on the running but I'll be paying for it on Sunday. My half marathon is going to HURT. Eh - this is taper week, right?
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

VBC, a friend recommended this programme to me....I've lucked out and have a personalized programme put together by a friend who is a very accomplished runner. Roughly plan is one speed-work day, one easy run and one long run each week, interspersed with two swims and a yoga day. Plan officially starts on Monday, so this week is just a warm up.

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

Quote Originally Posted by VeganBikeChick View Post
    That's great, UK! I signed up for my first half marathon in March, too, so we'll be training at the same time!

I haven't searched for a training plan yet, but it's on my to-do list. Good for you for getting out there
    Specialized Tricross Sport / Specialized Lithia 143

So tomorrow is my birthday but I have to work do I did my birthday run today. According to the training plan I was set to run 10 miles with the mid 2 miles at race pace. So since I want do do close to a 2 hour half marathon I had to run about 9:10 for those 2 miles. I was pretty close to it the first mile, but had to take a walk break before the 2nd race pace mile that was more like 9:30. Overall it was a good run considering I started out VERY slow with heavy legs. I did allow myself to take it easy the 2nd half of my run and take walk breaks at each mile, my last mile I did pick up the pace again. Not bad for turning 48. I know many of you run faster and long and may have a few years on me....and I think you are all awesome and you keep me going! 3 years ago I was training to PR by running a 1/2 in 2:10, which I did. Then I had to run 10 min miles --that felt hard (and still not really easy for me), now I am having to hit 9 min miles (can't imagine running that for 13 miles!)...so I guess I am still pushing and improving (or at least trying to)!

Oh, and I stood in my nice cool pool after the run...boy did that feel good!
    K
    katluvr

katluvr -- Happy Birthday! And awesome run. I think you're doing amazing!

I did just a pinch over 4 miles today on the beach. Nice overcast, breezy morning, 70-72 degrees. I felt really quite good, and as I got to my turnaround point from just a couple of months ago still feeling great (and going farther), I reflected on how much easier it really has become. Yes, running is still hard, harder than cycling for sure, but I've improved so much since September. Looking forward to even more improvement in the new year!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Happy birthday, katluvr!!!!!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Sigh... everyone seems to progress with their running, except me.
    I ran on Monday for the first time in 5-6 weeks, because of diffuse pain in my foot. I was fine on the run and for the whole day, next morning, until I went to the gym. Some of the stuff in my strength and core class is hurting the foot more than running. I modify everything, don't do full jump ups or jumping jacks, and it set the foot right back where it was. Since I really need the stuff in this class more than I need to run (I do plenty of aerobic stuff), guess which has to go.
    I guess it might be time to visit the podiatrist, but even if this is a real stress fracture, there's nothing I can do about it. I can't stop walking, and I've already modified the shoes I wear. Yesterday I went for a 4 mile hike and the climbing part was a bit painful on the foot.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Happy Birthday, katluvr!!

Happy birthday katluvr!

I got out for another run this morning. Same time and distance as on Wednesday, but considering the rolling terraing, sheep poo to dodge and having to stop to go through 5 gates along the way I must have run quicker. All in all a good warm up for the real half marathon training which starts on Monday night.
    Specialized Tricross Sport / Specialized Lithia 143

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Sigh... everyone seems to progress with their running, except me.
    I ran on Monday for the first time in 5-6 weeks, because of diffuse pain in my foot. I was fine on the run and for the whole day, next morning, until I went to the gym. Some of the stuff in my strength and core class is hurting the foot more than running. I modify everything, don't do full jump ups or jumping jacks, and it set the foot right back where it was. Since I really need the stuff in this class more than I need to run (I do plenty of aerobic stuff), guess which has to go.
    I guess it might be time to visit the podiatrist, but even if this is a real stress fracture, there's nothing I can do about it. I can't stop walking, and I've already modified the shoes I wear. Yesterday I went for a 4 mile hike and the climbing part was a bit painful on the foot.
    Bummer, sorry Crankin! Sorry about the foot pain. Since you get plenty of cardio otherwise, there's no reason to push yourself to run if it hurts. I wouldn't. I also know that if I lived in a hilly, cold area like you do, I wouldn't have progressed in my running the way I have managed to here in Belize these past few months. Running on packed sand trails with only the slightest rolling undulations, in temperate weather, is a far cry from running hills with multiple layers on, both physically and mentally. If I lived where you do, I'd probably stick to hiking, which I also love. Hiking is non-existent here (on the island, there is some on the mainland), so I've had to adjust to my environment.

Hope you heal up quickly!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I'm definitely done, or at least giving it a rest until spring. It's been so warm on the weekends, I haven't done much hiking, as I am still cycling outside. And, I do not want this to interfere with my x country skiing or snow shoeing. The way it feels today, my heavy hiking boots and snow shoes would definitely not feel so good. But riding was fine. I am wondering if using SPD cleats in spin class is making it worse. It seems to flare up a bit after spin. I have Speedplay Xs and Frogs on my bikes, and those don't bother it at all.
    I don't mind running in cold weather at all. But once the roads get icy, I don't do much of it outside, as there are very few sidewalks here. Hence, most of the running I do is in the late fall and early spring.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Aw, bummer Crankin. Enjoy your hiking and heal quick.

Happy birthday kat!

I took one look at the thermometer this morning and blew it off, even though I probably won't get another chance to run until Monday. Seventeen degrees is just too cold for me, especially since my warm gloves are already in transit. I've had frostbite four times and that's plenty for me. Wish I could've got some kind of a workout in, though.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Happy late birthday, Katluvr!

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling so, Crankin. That sucks so bad.

Oak, I can't blame you. It was 28 here yesterday when I got out and ran my 7 miles. It was brisk but the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. I have to think twice about anything below 20 degrees.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

It was 21 degrees for my run yesterday. Minus the first few minutes, I felt okay. The winds were light though and the sun was out. My left glute and hamstring have been bugging me for several weeks now. At first I thought it was the return of the sciatic nerve issues I have had off and on for some time, but now I'm not so sure. I suppose a trip to the doc is in order as it's becoming chronic.

Crankin, I'm sorry you're hurting. I had a stress fracture in my foot during my sophomore year of cross country. I ran most of the season with it and ended up on crutches for six weeks.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I need to stop reading this thread! This is what makes me want to "try" running again.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Happy Belated B'day, Kat.

Sorry about your foot, Crankin. Hope it heals quickly and doesn't impact your winter sports.

ChiRunning workshop was yesterday---it was great. I got to meet 7, which was a treat (I'm would love to have her swimmer's feet!!!). By the way, she's got great running form and was moving pretty swiftly when we were outside.

Today was our Jingle All The Way 8k race in DC. Unfortunately, my cold pretty much has me operating on 75% of my "jets," so I didn't feel that great. It was the first morning of the season that went below freezing at Reagan Nat'l, so it was cold. Insult to injury, the race started 20+ minutes late---everyone was freezing. Once we got moving, it was fine. I had five jingle bells on, several pinned to my fleece and one on my shoe. Lots of folks in the spirit, wearing reindeer headgear, santa hats, green sequin skirts, striped socks, etc. As usual, I overdressed and once we got in the sun, I was too warm.

Luckily, things opened up a little after the first mile in terms of being crowded, so I had room to work on the chirunning techniques I learned yesterday. Was in the groove of it for a bit, but my cold symptoms definitely impacted how I felt overall. I wrapped a buff around my forearm to help clean up my nose drainage, which was good planning. The last quarter mile or so, the accumulated junk in my throat/bronchial tubes made me gasping for a breath and sounding like as asthmatic. I was relieved to cross that finish line (they called out everyone's name over the loudspeaker as you finished).

My husband was about 3 or 4 minutes behind me, so I had time to stretch my calves and get cold before we schlepped it off to the car. Got to see the Nat'l Christmas tree on the way, plus the White House all decked out.

I'll check my time/finish results later. This is my longest run to date and because of my cold, I was just happy to run the entire thing and cross the finish line.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly