Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...

Running with the reindeer...December runs!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Nobody had started it yet for this month, so I will. Not a very interesting run for me to report today...about a 40-minute easy run on the roads and trails in town, and then today is a strength training day (I definitely need it).
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Did my social 3 mile run tonight - all thanks to TE'ers for encouraging me to go!

The group was nice enough. I am a bit miffed that they advertised that it was a social running group for runners of every pace, but out of the 20 or so people there, I was definitely the only "slow" one, and save for one really nice girl that ran with me, everyone else was miles ahead.

I am thankful that I went, and super thankful that the girl ran with me. I felt bad for holding her up and bought her a beer as a thanks afterwards (it was a social run with drinks to follow) and she said she'd run with me whenever I'd like.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Spider...you are going DOWN!

That's great, VBC! Glad you did the run. I'm always the slow one in a group. I'd run with you if I were in your neck o' the woods.

This morning was 45 minutes on the treadmill. The treadmill is in a room with a drop ceiling and next to a block wall. Running, I could see a spider making his way up and down the wall, right next to my right shoulder. Blech. I hate spiders. But, as long as he was on the wall - live and let live. At mile 2.75, I see him suspended in mid-air, inches from my right cheek. YIKES! No way, critter. You invaded my space. I hit pause and jumped off the 'mill to grab a paper towel to squish him. I swear that guy knew my plan, because by the time I got back on the treadmill, he was back up, disappearing into a crack in the drop ceiling. And he never showed his face again for the remainder of my run. Good thing. I kept that paper towel handy...just in case.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Ack! Attack treadmill spider!

I haven't run yet since my race sunday. Guessing I will lace my shoes back up (after i wash them from running through the sewage river!).

Looking forward to moving again!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Over the past couple months I've really slacked off my running, so my December resolution is to pick it up again.

Last night I added a lot of new music onto my mp3 player, and so this morning's run was on neighborhood streets with very little traffic with the earbuds in. (I only use the mp3 player if I'm not going to be interacting with traffic-- considering how bad my eyesight is in the pre-dawn dark, I need to be listening for cars in higher traffic areas). The last 30 min. of the Messiah, plus some Praetorious dance music carried me through 4 miles. Running to classical music worked better than I thought it might!

I ran 3 miles last night after. My evening runs rarely go as well as my morning runs. I'm likely just more tired, but I also usually run in the morning on an empty stomach, minus some coffee. Running in the evening with lunch still sloshing away in my stomach sometimes makes me feel a little sick, as it did last night. Plus, I just don't think I'm as relaxed running in the dark. I have a headlamp on and lots of reflective stuff, but I still feel more apprehensive. I ordered a new headlamp that I should be getting any day now that will work better than my current Black Diamond. That should help immensely.
    Last edited by indysteel; 12-02-2011 at 06:40 AM.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I run best at 8:30 in the morning after a breakfast between 6 and 6:30 of cinnamon toast. Alas, Mon. - Fri. at 8:30 I'm checking in homework.

Early morning runs my nose is stuffy and afternoon runs I often suffer from sloshy lunch like you. Makes me appreciate those weekends so much more.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Wowza. Got my new headlamp today. It's a Black Diamond Sprinter. I may have unintentionally burned my retinas with it. It's pretty darn bright. Plus, it has a rear taillight. I'll have to test it out as soon as it gets dark. My other headlamp is a BD Spot. We bought it mostly for camping, but it just wasn't up to the task. I recently bought a reflective harness and some reflective leg bands. Anything else I might need for safe night running?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Anything else I might need for safe night running?
    A treadmill???

Sounds like you should be good to go. We can't find our headlamp anywhere, and I have no motivation to buy a new one now that we do have that treadmill. I do feel I need to get out for early runs in the cold to prep for the 5-miler, but I'm pretty sure I'll be fine temp wise (unless it's like 15 degrees for it).
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Did somewhere around 3.75 miles this morning on the beach. It was windy, overcast, and cool (that means 70F, as this is the tropics). I felt great! Probably one of the best runs I've had. DH told me what I needed to add on to take it to 4 miles, so I may try that on Monday if the cool air stays put. It had been so hot I was really suffering and was not able to increase my mileage much at all, but now that it's been cooler, I would like to get to 4 miles and hang there for awhile.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    A treadmill???

Sounds like you should be good to go. We can't find our headlamp anywhere, and I have no motivation to buy a new one now that we do have that treadmill. I do feel I need to get out for early runs in the cold to prep for the 5-miler, but I'm pretty sure I'll be fine temp wise (unless it's like 15 degrees for it).
    I just joined the rec center up the road from us and can use a treadmill there, but it's a last resort. I don't really enjoy it nearly as much as running outside. I am really sensitive to overheating, and I have yet to find a gym that is cool enough for my taste.

I have run in 15 degrees. I must be nuts because I don't really mind it (assuming the winds aren't too brutal).

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    indy, I find I can go colder and colder as winter sets in and I get used to it. Last year I ran several times when it was in the 8 or 9 F range and I have definitely Nordic skied in colder. I find that if I wear a wool Buff over my mouth and nose that I don't get cold lung burn. I know there are masks out there that probably do a better job, but they seem claustrophobic to me when I've tried them on. Winter is my favorite time to run because it is cold (and because the trails are so heavenly to run on when they are snow covered).

[Edit: it's really dry where I live, so I realize that makes it easier than in some other places. Still, I think acclimation is the key.]

That BD headlamp is pretty popular around these parts with the night runners. If I didn't already have 2 Zipkas, I'd probably get one. Maybe when one of my Zipkas dies.

I'm in ramp-back mode still, but I've seemed to clock bigger weeks than I've planned. I need to make a concerted effort to back off yet still run with regularity. It's hard when the conditions are so very nice for running.

I did not get my mid week runs in, but heading out for my scheduled long run of 8 miles. Per the training program I am doing my LR pace should be 10:10 - 11 min miles (my HM goal is is 2 hours). I felt good, did not walk any and kept strong til the end. Overall pace was 10:32, that includes the first couple miles at closer to the 11 min mile pace. I felt good. Still can't imagine running 9 min miles for that long, but hopefully in 10 weeks I can!

We have our annual X-mas party tonight at our house. So I just had a good post-run breakfast and I'm off to the shower. I have house cleaning, decorating & food prep to do. I must work best under pressure!

Oh forgot to mention the weather was perfect for me. Just barely 60 and breezy, I even wore long sleeves. Didn't get too hot. Also in December the white pelicans migrate and drop in for a month or 2. We have lots of pelicans, but seeing white ones are rare. There was a flock of 8 swimming around in the bay at on section along my run, made my day!

K
    katluvr

Today's 9 miles was my longest run since September! The last 2 miles were tough, but that was to be expected. Couldn't ask for better weather for early December-- clear and dry and not to much wind, and in the upper 30s for my whole run.

Indy, how does that headlamp do letting you see where you're putting your feet? I keep having to slow down because I can't see where I'm going, and maybe a headlamp would help?

Awesome long runs, gang! I did an hour long run today. I don't own a Gramin or any other device to track distance or speed. On the treadmill the other day, I ran at a 9:50 pace; that's the only metric I have at this point.

@skill, I haven't officially used the headlamp yet, but I did take it outside and it is plenty bright and has a long enough beam to light up the road in front of you. I think I'll be quite happy with it. It can be tilted up or down and can also be dimmed. I got a decent price for it and free shipping from Backcountry.com via Amazon.

--Mary Anne Radmacher