Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hotel fees in Vegas

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm going to Las Vegas this weekend to run the half marathon (sorry - no biking) and I got what I thought was a good hotel rate. However, after booking, they say there is a room tax (which is fine, can't complain about taxes, they're a fact of life) and a "daily resort fee" of $22.40 each day. This is going to add another $46 to what I thought was a great rate! According to them, it covers "complimentary" internet in the room, local and toll free calls (who uses a hotel phone anymore?) Business Center services, copy printing, boarding pass printing (driving, so don't need this) and a daily USA Today. One of the days I'll be there is Sunday, which I think doesn't even print USA Today.

My question is, has anyone had any luck with asking this fee be waived when they check in? Aside from the internet, which I can certainly live without since it's just for two days, I don't need or want any of these "services." Should I make a fuss about it? Or do I just need to accept the creative pricing aspect of this and consider it the cost of the room?
    Jen

From what I've read, it's hard to get it waived. But, hey, it doesn't hurt to ask.

But you might check here for a list of hotels that charge no or cheaper resort fees. Assuming you haven't prepaid for your room, cancel your reservation--and make it very clear as to why you're doing that--and rebook. The whole notion of resort fees (like airline fees) is offensive. Just charge more for the room if you must.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I hate those fees. And, get this... So a year ago I met a bunch of girlfriends in Vegas to run the marathon/HM. One of the girls in the group was unable to go, but we'd done a secret santa thing, so her santee had a package shipped to the Luxor for me to get and give in-person to our friend.

The Luxor charged me $7 to receive the package. It's not like I could even deny the fee. If I didn't accept it, then it was theirs to keep, apparently. Lame.

I much prefer downtown "old" Vegas. Everything is cheaper there and it's not nearly so crowded. Golden Nugget will be where we stay for any future trips.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

The one and only time I stayed in Vegas, I stayed at the Golden Nugget. I remember the room being nice, and I don't think they charge a fee. You should be able to get a good rate there I would think.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

The fees are getting ridiculous...especially when they say something is complimentary and then list it under a fee. This is the fifth year I've done this run and it'll be my last for a while. I'm over Vegas and I'm done with Competitor's ridiculous charges for their races. Each year this little weekend gets more and more expensive. It's a fun race, but I'm not independently wealthy.

All the times I've been to Vegas I've never stayed downtown. That would be interesting, but I either go for the race which is on the strip so staying right there is convenient, or I go with girlfriends who want to stay on the strip.
    Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Jen12 View Post
    All the times I've been to Vegas I've never stayed downtown. That would be interesting, but I either go for the race which is on the strip so staying right there is convenient, or I go with girlfriends who want to stay on the strip.
    My first 2 trips to Vegas were on the Strip. Now that I've stayed off the strip I don't ever want to go back to the Strip. It's cool once or twice. After that it's miles of crowds and smoke. That's a big one--the smoke is MUCH less of an issue downtown. And no walking miles to get around.

And the pool with a water-slide going through a shark tank at Golden Nugget is reason alone to stay there.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

This is so funny I just got back from Vegas! Had to do a trade show for our business. I can't believe how much everything costs there! We got 2 drinks and it was $20.00! I got to the point where I was tempted to go to the store and get my own! The Paris hotel does not charge "resort" fee's. I would have looked for one's that don't. On the strip there were adds about resorts with no fee's. Kinda funny you mentioned this.
    When we left this morning is was blowing very high winds! It was crazy! We watched more tumbleweed races across the highway then I have ever seen!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!