Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for feedback on cold weather cycling jackets

To disable ads, please log-in.

I need a better cycling jacket for cold-weather riding. After riding in the cold last year wearing my cheapo Canari windbreaker...I have determined that it just isn't gonna cut it. I need something more substantial and breathable. Ran across a few options while perusing online at REI-Outlet.

Can anyone out there comment or offer some feedback on any of these? The prices seem reasonable, and most of them have my size in stock. About the only downside that I see with any of them, is the color choices. Was hoping to find more offerings in HI-Viz yellow (only 1 that I see). Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Sugoi Neo Bike Jacket

Sugoi Zap Bike Jacket

Novara Verita Bike Jacket

Novara Tempest Bike Jacket
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

If you're looking for cold weather, I would scratch the Sugoi Zap from the list. It's a beautiful jacket, but not insulated, just a windbreaker. The Neo looks similar to me, but I don't have any first-hand experience with it.

I like the looks of the Verita.....for a rain/wind jacket. Again, no insulation, but it's eVent *drools* If you're quite warm-blooded, this might be an option.

The Tempest looks similar in construction to the Novara Headwind, which I really liked except for its dark back. I like a little more visibility...

I've been looking for a hi-viz winter jacket too. I love my Pearl Izumi Gavia, but it's just too dark for me to feel safe a lot of the time. So far, the only option that I've found is the Gore Phantom. I'm interested to see what suggestions others may have.
    Last edited by Becky; 09-20-2011 at 04:37 PM.

I have a PI Insulatour PRO. Holy Hades...that thing is HOT! You'd never guess it to feel it. It's not bulky and has a nice bit of stretch to it. Generally you can find good deals on the previous year's colors, too.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Not sure what size you are, but here is a super deal in a LG red/black XL--
    http://www.geartrade.com/item/207267

I have the same jacket in bright yellow in L... wore it once this fall when it was about 45-50 with just a shortsleeve jersey underneath. Think it will be fine down to about 35 or so with a silk turtleneck or fleece pullover. It is not lined but is heavier than most of my other windbreakers.
    DonnaS

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Just found this Phantom Gore in bright yellow.
    TE now has the neon yellow version: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodGB_JPHALO_0.html.

Hmmm...that Gore Phantom (in neon yellow) looks interesting. It's a softshell jacket, right? Can anyone tell me how the sizing is on Gore jackets? I normally wear a L/XL in women's jerseys...and I prefer a bit of breathing room as opposed to a snug fit. I have a broad upper back/shoulder area, average chest I guess (38C), not much in the way of hips, but a somewhat poochy tummy area.

Linda

Yes, it's a softshell.

I just tried it on at a local store. I'm normally a Medium in cycling jackets, with narrower shoulders, but a 34D bust. Waist and hips are narrow-to-average. My impressions were that it fits very snugly, and it's a cycling cut with a short front and drop tail. In the Phantom, I could wear a medium with a base layer under it. It fit more like a jersey. A large fit more like a jacket, with more room for an actual jersey and a little more length in the front. However, it still fit closely enough not to flap.

I'll be buying a Large.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Yes, it's a softshell.

I just tried it on at a local store. I'm normally a Medium in cycling jackets, with narrower shoulders, but a 34D bust. Waist and hips are narrow-to-average. My impressions were that it fits very snugly, and it's a cycling cut with a short front and drop tail. In the Phantom, I could wear a medium with a base layer under it. It fit more like a jersey. A large fit more like a jacket, with more room for an actual jersey and a little more length in the front. However, it still fit closely enough not to flap.

I'll be buying a Large.
    Eeeeks! Then that would likely put me in an XL or XXL for sure. Wish I could try one on first, but not many shops in my area carry a wide selection of Gore...let alone women's Gore.

IIRC, they're also making the Gore Contest in high-viz and the fit isn't as snug in that style. There's also the Gavia that Murienn mentioned. Mine Gavia is a few years old, so the sizing may have changed, but I find that it's true to size and more like a cycling jacket than a jersey (fit-wise).

Ok, so I am "this close" to pulling the trigger on a PI Gavia jacket. I really like the HI-VIZ yellow color that Performance Bike is offering. The only problem is that the biggest size they have in stock is a Large...and I'm not entirely sure if a Large will fit me comfortably. I have a few PI jerseys and most of them are Large and fit fine. But I'd like to be able to wear a light-midweight layer underneath the Gavia, and I'm worried that the Large will be too tight with a baselayer. And because the Gavia is a discontinued style, nobody around here has any in stock to try on.

So can anyone give me some feedback on wearing a baselayer under the Gavia? If the sizing is "true-to-size" and I do get a Large...will layering make it feel super snug?

Linda

My Gavia is true to size, even with a lightweight or midweight jersey underneath. I wear a medium in PI jerseys and a medium in both the Gavia and the Vagabond jackets (for reference).

It's also wicked warm. I can't wear more than a lightweight baselayer until it's below 40 degrees. With layers, it easily gets me to the teens and 20s on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    Eeeeks! Then that would likely put me in an XL or XXL for sure. Wish I could try one on first, but not many shops in my area carry a wide selection of Gore...let alone women's Gore.
    I would just like to take the opportunity to say, again, how very pissed off I am at Gore for making The Perfect Winter Jacket (IMO, I've had one for years and love the fit and material) ... i.e. neon yellow with reflective stripes down both sleeves and in back... only for men. And it doesn't come in XS which would fit me.

The women's version is fine, but it doesn't have the reflective stripes. I need the reflective stripes! Why the f can't we get reflective stripes too!

-signed
    disgruntled customer

PS. And it's not that they look uncool either. So why??
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I hadn't even noticed that until you pointed it out, LPH. That makes me angry!

I'll probably end up adding my own reflective bits to the womens jacket, but I shouldn't have to do that on something that expensive

Well...I ordered the Gavia today from Performance. Had it shipped to the store so in case it doesn't fit, I can return it while I'm there. Won't arrive until Oct. 16th. It's an early Christmas present from DH.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    I need a better cycling jacket for cold-weather riding. After riding in the cold last year wearing my cheapo Canari windbreaker...I have determined that it just isn't gonna cut it. I need something more substantial and breathable.
    Substantial, very warm, but very breathable: 100% merino wool layers in various combinations. My favorite combo for below 45F: a merino thin soft base layer, a soft merino zip turtleneck, and a soft wool vest.
    I have a gore biking jacket and it totally makes me sweat- doesn't breathe at all. I put on my wool instead and I feel great and cozy in the extreme cold and I don't get drenched in sweat. Just my 2 cents.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^