Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

skull cap or other under the helmet head gear

To disable ads, please log-in.

Help, for some reason my trusty scarf that I normally wear under my helmet to keep my head and ears warm is not comfortable this year. I think it is because I am wearing my hair longer and I have a ton of hair so the combination is causing pressure points and pain on the side of my head.

I tried on the DH's skull cap "Roxusa"? , but with my big head and big hair, it doesn't begin to cover my ears.

Option 1 would be to go for a thin head band, but that will just take care of the ears so hoping someone has some suggestions for a skull cap that is longer and has to be thin, If wool it has to be super high quality as I have itch issues with many wools.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Have you tried a Buff yet? It can be worn a number of ways, to cover your whole head or not...and it comes in wool and non-wool types.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Much love from me on:
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodSW_12950.html

-- gnat!
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Someone posted suggesting these last year
    http://shop.little-package.com/shop/...y/earflap-caps
    I love mine, bought the SO one, he's bought his father one... My SO wears his all the time on/off the bike. We are both thinking of ordering heavier ones for colder weather.

My second choice is
    http://shop.ibex.com/Apparel/Zing/Skimmer-Skull-Cap

I also always wear a wool buff, which can be pulled up over the ears or down around the neck as needed. I also breath through it to prevent EIA attacks.
    Last edited by TsPoet; 11-22-2011 at 10:48 AM.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Thanks for the suggestions, the skull caps look just like the one my DH has so think they are too short.
    My WD (wonderful daughter) wants to go black friday shopping so I will try on a buff somewhere, and hopefully the ibex cap as it looks like the ear flap section is longer, meanwhile the bike hermit just told me he ordered me a thin headband until I can find a better option,
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

REI will have Buffs. Maybe even Cabelas. There are lots of options from microfiber to fleece visor options to wool.

Me loves 'em.

They're great pulled over a visor or baseball cap (scrunched up headband style) for running amd fishing.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I don't like buffs. I have 2, one special "junior" size, but it feels like a scarf for an Orthodox woman. I can't figure out how to tie it, except for one way. When I tie it in the back, the knot makes my helmet uncomfortable.
    I have a couple of really light weight skull caps for coolish weather, or hot weather, that don't go over my ears. I also have a Headsweat brand slightly lined skull cap, that is big enough for me to pull over the ears that I wear a lot. I have another one my DH gave me, used to be his, but it was too small. I also have a fleece one, that's very lightweight and very small. It was DS's when he was 14. I hope it never falls apart. I have 2 balaclavas, one way too heavy from Terry and the other a Craft one that is thin, that I wear with the fleece skull cap when it's really cold.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I don't like buffs. I have 2, one special "junior" size, but it feels like a scarf for an Orthodox woman. I can't figure out how to tie it, except for one way. When I tie it in the back, the knot makes my helmet uncomfortable.
    I wish I could explain how I wear mine. I always wear them the same way. I'll see if I can explain it... I turn it inside out, place my right hand in so that the bottom comes about down to my wrist. I then place my palm on my forehead and pull the side opposite my palm back over my head. You can see the back of it here...no knot. Fits great under my helmet:

I have a merino one that I tend to twist in the middle, then fold it over to make a hat, since it's really thin and long.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I don't wear Buffs full length on my head either, and don't like knots or twists. I either cut them in half, and use each half as a lightweight headband/sweatsoaker, or I fold them in two lengthwise so they're thicker. Either way I just fold the lower edge over itself a couple of times in back to keep it neat, with works with my helmet and (thin) hair. My wool Buffs/neck gaiters are a bit too thick to do this with, though.

For winter use I like this thin merino skullcap, it's a bit long but I just fold it up to get an extra layer over my ears:
    http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx...09&prod_id=370
    This one is good when it's raining or very windy, but I can't hear a thing and it drives my dh crazy:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-we...iii-skull-cap/
    And when it's really cold I add a thin wool balaclava.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    Much love from me on:
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodSW_12950.html

-- gnat!
    +1

Thin enough and warm
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I have fairly thick, shoulder-length hair...so I've found that the best solution for me in the colder months, is to cut a hole in all of my winter headgear so that I can pull a ponytail through it. I have 3 different caps I wear under my helmet - a Sugoi, a Bula, and a Gore...all 3 have ponytail "holes" in the back. If I didn't poke holes in my hats, then my hair would just be too unruly under a helmet. It's the only solution that works for me at the moment.

Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

I have a big head and a lot of hair too. I like the Icebreaker "chase beanie" very much. It's thin enough to go under the helmet and it's not too short for my big head.
    Last edited by Susan; 11-24-2011 at 05:05 AM.

I just got this little ibex hat. Covers ears and neck. The brim is really mostly only the idea of a brim.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodIB_852.html
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I wear a polypro knit cap (PI, but a discontinued style) under my helmet in moderately cold weather, but for the really cold stuff I have a thin polypro balaclava (don't know the brand). TE has several in both merino and synthetic.

I've never worn a Buff and don't know how warm it keeps your face or how much control you have over the size and shape of the opening ... but my balaclava lets me expose eyes and nose only to start a ride (I could do eyes only, but my glasses slide down and/or fog, so not for riding) - eyes, nose and mouth if I'm breathing hard through my mouth - or down under my chin when it warms up a bit.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 11-30-2011 at 05:05 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have to get out and go try some on. I do have a thin balaclava that is great for when it is really cold. of course, talk about helmet hair times 10 when I take it off. I did get a new headband yesterday so will see how that feels today.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com