Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

650 wheels on Redline Conquest 24?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I was just reading an article in the current Cyclocross magazine about a very talented teenage CXer who started on a Conquest 24. Once his legs got a bit long for the stock 24" wheels they put 650s on it.

We have a Conquest 24 for our almost 11 year old hiding in our garage until Christmas AM. If we could buy an extra season out of the bike by using a larger circ. wheel that would be excellent. DH thought maybe even 26" mtn. wheels might work, too.

The other question is brakes. What to do about that, were we to eventually put a larger wheel on...?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

hmmmmm - that doesn't make a lot of sense... While there might possibly be clearance to put slightly larger wheels on, what exactly would that gain you? The frame would still be the same size - if the kid's legs got longer than the seat post would accommodate, then you'd also have to change the crank length - then that would start messing with the knee/saddle position.... that would mess with the stem length. I'm thinking just using bigger wheels doesn't really change anything about the way the bike fits - it just allows you to do a bunch of other changes - like longer cranks and still maintain ground clearance?

Also I think that might cause major toe overlap - my Conquest 24 (I'm seriously short... the 24 is a bit small for me, but no adult cross bike was small enough..... I've adapted it a bit with a longer stem and long rail saddle) anyway... My Conquest is the only bike I have that actually has some toe overlap issues.
    Last edited by Eden; 12-01-2011 at 06:34 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

That's what I was wondering, too. The only reason I could see to switch to 650 would be more availability of tires, but then I'd assume the brakes would need to be changed, too.

BTW, what tires do you use? DH was looking and found 4 different standards marketed as 24" tires, but they were all a little different.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I still have the original tires on it. I got a set of skinnier ones (I think they were made for BMXing) that I tried out, but they were actually a bit too skinny and not good for the muddy/sandy conditions of the courses I was riding. I don't use it for the road (except when it snows and I use it as my commuter...), so I've never put slicks on it.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Ahhh...yeah. Hopefully he won't wear out the original ones fast (we doubt he'll get more than 2 years out of the bike, so he'll probably be OK). Hubby ordered a less knobby Panaracer tire through our LBS for use when DS wants to ride on the road.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Does anyone know if this is possible? I was just reading an article in the current Cyclocross magazine about a very talented teenage CXer who started on a Conquest 24. Once his legs got a bit long for the stock 24" wheels they put 650s on it.
    Unfortunately, no one is making 650c cyclocross tires. I don't know if 26" MTB wheels would work on that frame, but there is one only CX tire made for 26" wheels: the Schwalbe CX Pro. I wish wheel/tire/frame builders would start making lightweight equipment for us shorter riders!!

We're going to have to see what we can fit on it. If a CX tire on a mtn. bike wheel works, then that may actually be easier to work with than buying a set of 650s, anyhow. Though more than likely we would simply look for a bigger bike (or he would inherit my 44cm Conquest and I'd upgrade, or something like that).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3