Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone ride in a skort?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've dropped about 42 lbs so far but still have a loonnnggg way to go so regular tights wouldn't be particularly pretty LOL! I saw a winter skort/tight combo but was curious how that works in the practical world. Anyone have any thoughts?

I don't have great luck with the skort/skirts on the bike. They tend to get snagged on the saddle when I get on and off--I prefer to ride without them. However, I will use them in a spin class setting.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

I have ridden in one on Mackinac Island, only because I felt better going into shops with that on. etc, rather than in tights. Also, whan we stopped for a beer/s later at night, I did not feel the need to change.

This is an Island with no cars--only bikes and horses, mind you.

I got mine from Terry but, prefer bike shorts/tights for everyday riding. I use the skort for trips to town.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

I have an older Shebeest skort that I commute in sometimes (and race, rarely). But it's very short. Too short to really get stuck on the saddle. And the shorts that are attached are shorter than any of my normal bike shorts.

It's useful for commuting because men seem more inclined to stop and give me the right of way (when due) than just to fly through every crosswalk, red light, etc. That being said, I also get pretty self-concious wearing it. Even though it hides more than ordinary bike shorts, it's essentially a short, tight, black, miniskirt. The tights/shorts combo you're considering probably wouldn't feel quite as immodest!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    To original poster:

What would make a combined skort and leggings combination impractical, especially if the tight leggings were attached directly to the skort? To wear another pr. of out protective pants for warmth?

Yes, I've worn a lycra short that was flared on several bike trips over 50-100 km each trip with loaded panniers. This was mostly in Europe last year, when wearing cycling tights just looked /was rare in Europe unless one was a racer.

I have 3 lycra skorts for cycling...for warmer weather cycling. Here locally, I tend to wear them for shorter bike trips...because I want them to last! And have them when I really want to wear them. They are not cheap.

I have no problems with snagging the fabric on something else since I don't do mountain biking, etc.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 11-29-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodSM_13788.html

This is the one I was eying up

Quote Originally Posted by fyreflie24 View Post

That's really attractive and would be appropriate to go into many venues you might ride to. I wore skorts on occasion on utilitarian rides in NC -- farmer's market, food co-op, and the like. That's what I think they're best for. If I'm not planning any stops on a ride, unadorned bike shorts (or tights over shorts) are simpler.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I wear skorts for errand rides, shopping, going to appointments, bike path riding with friends. Once in awhile, I have worn one on short (less than 20 mile) road rides. I finally found one that doesn't fly up a lot, the Terry Coaster skort. I am not modest and don't really care about going into stores with my bike shorts on, but wearing a skort makes the ride feel different, less pressured, and I do like them if I am going out to eat; I feel "dressed up."
    The chamois tends to be different and not so conducive to long rides.
    Last edited by Crankin; 11-30-2011 at 04:15 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Congratulations on the weight loss, that's brilliant!

I tend to feel exposed in tights with nothing over, so normally put a Terry wraparound skirt or baggy shorts over for non-errand riding, or else a normal flared skirt over with boots for errand riding. Or I just put a padded liner under normal clothes.

For some reason I feel less exposed in a cycling knicker. That skort looks fine to me, I've had a couple of lovely things from Sheila Moon.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

I agree with Limewave- they don't work well for me on the bike. However, I'll often carry a skirt to use as a cover up when I'm running errands or touring.

Quote Originally Posted by fyreflie24 View Post

Oh, I want one!!! I love Sheila Moon clothing. This would be a great spring look in Boise. One of my BF riding partners always rides in a skort I will have to share this with her.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I personally do not find skorts comfortable on the bike since they can ride up, but are great to carry for after bike or stops at places of interest.

It seems the issue is that you are not comfortable wearing skin tight garments. So, why not consider a pair of those 'loose' tights designed for running. You could wear them over a pair of normal cycling shorts since they are not designed with a chamois.

I used to ride my hybrid (flatbar) wearing a skort combo thing. I rode in Critical Mass that way, several times.

Memmmoorrieeeessss....
    2011 Trek WSD Madone 3.1
    Asama Luddite (cheap hybrid) 2008 or 2009
    Kuwahara Savage MTB - early 90s

I had one for cycling with the padding, but after wearing it on a long ride, I decided I didn't like it and got rid of it. I love skorts for running, though. If you think you might like it, try one out.

Congrats on the weight loss!
    Jen

Thank you everyone!!!