Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Starting spinning classes today .....yay!!

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post
    Hour-long cycling class at 6am today. Focus was on cadence drills today, with most of the work done at 100 and 105 rpm. When I first started working with this coach (15 months ago), my natual cadence was ~ 80rpm. Now I am closer to 95rpm. So, these drills DEFINITELY work!
    It would be great if you or someone described some of those cadence drills. I have slowly managed to increase my cadence from ~60-70 or so to about 80 (with some bursts of 90-100+), mostly through consistent riding, but also with some obsessing about my cadence during rides. Using the trainer (as much as I hate it) seems to have helped.

Re a previous comment about the intensity of the workouts, for me the trainer has been a good opportunity to push really hard (to the point of getting sick) because I'm in the comfort of my place. I can collapse comfortably on my floor, if need be.

8/8 done.

Have been doing my own intervals - and my average HR/mileage comparisons tell me I'm working harder than some of the ECT's Yesterday was easy. Today was not. 45 minutes.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    It would be great if you or someone described some of those cadence drills.
    Sure!

So, this morning, after a warmup, we had 3 main worksets.

1st workset, 20 minutes:
    1 minute pedalling at 105rpm, at mid zone 2 intensity (around 80-85% of threshold power)
    1 minute at 85rpm. No adjustment to the tension knob, just a reduction in rpm. Yields ~ a mid-zone 1 intensity effort (60-65% of threshold power)
    REPEAT 10 times to get to 20 minutes

2nd workset, 13 minutes:
    5 minutes at 100rpm, varying zone intensity via the tension knob only, as follows:
    1 minute at mid zone 3 (100% of threshold power)
    1 minute at low zone 2 (75% of threshold power)
    1 minute at high zone 3 (105% of threshold)

3 minutes of active recovery in mid zone 1 (60-65% of threshold power) at rider's preferred cadence

5 minutes at 100rpm, varying zone intensity via the tension knob only, as follows:

3rd workset, 6 minutes:
    1 minute pedalling at 105rpm, at mid zone 2 intensity (around 80-85% of threshold power)
    1 minutes at 85rpm. No adjustment to the tension knob, just a reduction in rpm. Yields ~ a mid-zone 1 intensity effort (60-65% of threshold power)
    REPEAT 3 times to get to 6 minutes

Cooldown.

There was also a few minutes Z1 recovery between each workset, for a total of an hour-long workout.

We ride on Cyclops stationary bikes equipped with power meters. We've all been tested, so that we know what our threshold power is, and what all of our intensity zones are. Each of us has a laminated card on our bikes, so that we don't have to do math or remember our zones. :-)

These classes are coached, and he's excellent. He continually gives us cues, reminds us where we are supposed to be, encourages us, corrects our form, etc.

Of course, a workout like this is totally tranlatable to what you do at home, even if you don't have a power meter. You can go by perceived exertion, heartrate, etc.

Hope this helps!

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Thanks! I will have to print that tomorrow and try it.

1 hour on the spinning bike tonight and I felt great! I was pretty much able to do everything in class at close to my old intensity, the injections are working

I'm so proud of myself for keeping up so far. I'm only 40 minutes off my 1 hour a day goal, but a few outdoor rides should really take care of that!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Ugh hit a snag! I was doing well and then both kids got walking pneumonia so haven't done anything since Monday!

Quote Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post
    Ugh hit a snag! I was doing well and then both kids got walking pneumonia so haven't done anything since Monday!
    Oh, it's okay. You have an excuse. I don't really have one, and I haven't done anything since Monday either. I got half an hour in today, despite my intention to get up early.
    My side is still bugging me, so I haven't been able to do intervals or anything other than low-resistance. Any day now, muscle...

I've finally found something that will hold my attention--documentaries!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Yesterday I survived my first spinning class after yearsss..... woohoo...I did way better thatn I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Giulianna23 View Post
    Yesterday I survived my first spinning class after yearsss..... woohoo...I did way better thatn I thought.
    Yayyyyyyy! Where did you go? It wasn't the Westview Healthplex by any chance was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Yayyyyyyy! Where did you go? It wasn't the Westview Healthplex by any chance was it?

NO...I went to the Avon LA Fitness Gym ...I started going there about a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Giulianna23 View Post
    NO...I went to the Avon LA Fitness Gym ...I started going there about a week ago.
    I was just curious, we had a new woman in spinning class last night who did very well, especially for someone who said she had never been in spinning class before. I thought it might be you

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Oh, it's okay. You have an excuse. I don't really have one, and I haven't done anything since Monday either. I got half an hour in today, despite my intention to get up early.
    My side is still bugging me, so I haven't been able to do intervals or anything other than low-resistance. Any day now, muscle...

I've finally found something that will hold my attention--documentaries!
    You know, I did two hours while watching Hellboy, a fast pased action flick and it wasn't even close to as good as the POV footage used in the Sufferfest videos. I guess it really makes me feel like I am going somewhere. I even lean into the curves a little bit with my body (or so my partner tells me lol!).

I should try documentaries, though. Variety will be critical!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Quote Originally Posted by Reesha View Post
    You know, I did two hours while watching Hellboy, a fast pased action flick and it wasn't even close to as good as the POV footage used in the Sufferfest videos. I guess it really makes me feel like I am going somewhere. I even lean into the curves a little bit with my body (or so my partner tells me lol!).

I should try documentaries, though. Variety will be critical!
    It works because I'm a nerd. It doesn't take much to get me to watch a documentary (that isn't on the History Channel).

I will warn you, however, that watching one about the 1918 flu pandemic is not a good idea. It is especially not a good idea when this one contains an interview with someone who lost both parents and her brother within 3 days.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...