Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you carry the basics? Lock, purse etc

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am blaming my late start to cycling for this. I've only just realised that rather than trying to squidge everything into the basket with my groceries on my Marin, I can use the bungee straps that have been sitting unloved in my garage to strap my jacket and lock on the back rack. Or the lock (coiled cable) could just be coiled around the seatpost. I do have a set of panniers but they're on the bench at the moment until I replace a missing velcro strap.

Inspire me please. What do you carry on your bike, and how do you carry it?

thank you!
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

I don't carry much, though it might change if I decide to get a commuter/errand bike. Wallet/key and cell phone go in pockets.

If I had to carry groceries or other large items/commuted to school and I had a rack, I'd just bungee cord my backpack (with the lock in it) to the rack...and look into a smaller, lighter computer!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I'm a pack rat and tend to take more stuff than I need. I find this trunk bag holds everything I want to take. Small tools, CO2 cartridges, vinly glove to keep my hand clean if I drop a chain, extra tube, flat kit, small vial of hand sanitizer, maps, pepper spray (for safety), a snack bar, small zippered wallet w/insurance card, id, money and I carry a couple of small bungees also to strap on bigger items or a rolled up jacket or vest.

If I'm shopping I'll carry panniers or if it's around town I'll carry my basket or both if I have a lot to get. But the trunk bag is for items I feel I can't do without.

http://www.rei.com/product/780460/no...sic-rack-trunk

Oh, and these must have alongs; blackberry and usually a small camera
    Last edited by Bike Writer; 11-28-2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: ETA, couple must have-alongs
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

So far I'm only riding around the neighborhood and typically with my husband so I just have a water bottle. Hubby has a house key and tools for bike adjustments. That's basically it. If I were to go a store, I'd need a rack with a back in which I could put anything I bought and would probably put a wallet in my jersey pocket, or just wear jeans and put my wallet in my jeans pocket where it typically goes anyway. (I do not carry a purse anyway, just a wallet).

I use a bungee to strap my locks to one side of my rack. Pannier goes on the other side. Flat kit in a small saddle bag, frame pump mounted on the frame (this sounds obvious but I see lots of people carrying them elsewhere).

Wallet, keys and cell phone all go in the pannier. If I'm without a pannier, I cram my ID, phone and $20 into my saddlebag with my flat kit.

I am with Bike Writer, I like to carry my "stuff" on even short rides. First aid kit, snacks, small suncreen, house key, mini-tool, kleenex (lots o kleenex!), lip balm, etc...

I have a small trunk bag with expandable pannier type bags on each side that unfold if I need them. I love this set up! This way I have more space to stash an extra light-weight jacket or spare gloves or if I stop to pick up a few items at the store. It also has a zippered expansion panel so it will hold more volume. I used this when I commuted to work this summer with a small mesh back pack and it was all I needed.

If I remember right, I got it at REI earlier this summer. It's a Topeak brand bag.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

I have a small backpack where i carry a bottle of water, keys, cellphone and tissues. I'm not sure if I should ride with a backpack but I don't ride long distances anyway.

On a mountain bike I locked two U-locks around the top and down tubes right behind the head tube. The U portions went around the bottom of the down tube, and locks' crossbars went on top of the top bar.

These days on my folding commute bike, I intertwine one U lock with the rear rack.
    Laura

These are brilliant, thank you so much. I needed inspiration for the new bike, which will have a rack but no basket. The plan is for my Marin to be the main grocery getter but I know that the Vita will get used too on occasion.

I normally have water bottle and pump attached to the frame on both bikes. There is a small saddle bag on my mountain bike that takes mini-toolset, phone, garmin, tissue or babywipe, emergency tenner, asthma inhaler and door keys. On the Marin, everything tends to go in the basket, though now I can use the rack more smartly - love the idea of weaving the lock through the rack and of bungee-ing a backpack to the rack. Of course, if I'm pulling the trailer I run out of power before I run out of space.

I usually have at least a basket or one pannier on my bike and tend to overpack every single time I leave the house. I'm never without my phone, keys, travelcard, small pump, tissues, baby wipes and water bottle. If I have my boyfriend in tow, he asks to carry my pannier to free up some weight on my stupidly heavy bike and I let him because I'm nice like that

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I carry all that in a pannier. Since I'm car-free, I have to allow myself carrying capacity for anything I see worth buying along my bike rides around the city.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Panniers attached to rear rack and/or Cycling backpack...
    2011 Trek WSD Madone 3.1
    Asama Luddite (cheap hybrid) 2008 or 2009
    Kuwahara Savage MTB - early 90s

As someone who sells bike bags for a living... I have a great little front rack bag by Zimbale that carries my tools, tube, phone, wallet and I can even stuff my jacket in. For round town I have a metal basket Zipped Tied to my rear rack love it, I have one of those cool spider bungee nets - they are pretty inexpensive. I simply remove the basket when I go on a trip that I need my panniers - I like the Racktime's
    I have two friends who use the topeak system on their commuters, one has the rear rack with the trunk bag and the other has the same rack but with the snap on basket and the same bungee net I use. Both have been super happy with them.
    Of course, when we have a big shopping trip planned we cheat and take the bob trailer but most of the time I can get by with my basket and top rack bag.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I've loved reading about how you all move your stuff on your bikes, thank you so much for replying. And how generous of Vanilla to let Mr Vanilla help!

I have ordered a Basil basket pannier that will clip onto the rear rack, which should mean that I can use the rack itself with a bungee for lock, handbag etc. I feel a lot more confident about shifting stuff now, thank you.

camelbak

I use my camelbak to carry not just my water but my spare tube, ID, keys, phone, extra chamois cream and sunscreen, and in the outer cords I tuck an ancient bike pump that doubles as my dog deterrent. I've never needed it, but it makes me feel better having a small baton-like instrument close at hand if I needed it.

I used to mtn bike so wearing the camelbak doesn't bother me even on long rides. I'm not coordinated enough to use a water bottle/cage while riding, so this way I can drink without stopping, and carry my stuff!