Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Carbon Fiber Frames

To disable ads, please log-in.

DH is pushing hard for me to buy a bike for Christmas (before you think I'm very lucky (I am) know that it gets him out of the mall for Christmas ).

Titanium is nice but I don't want to wait for a custom bike - plus if it doesn't fit it's a 50/50 deal - I own both halves. So, I'm looking at carbon fiber.

It seems like there are various ways that carbon fiber is made. For example, on the Trek website, they say that the Madone 6.0 series has their high end carbon fiber frame. But, what does that mean? How is it made? Am I over-thinking this?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I think Trek still makes their OCLV carbon frames in the USA - although their website carefully avoids saying that, so it's probably "many" or "most" of their OCLV frames are USA-made.

Other than that I really don't know anything about it ... I expect there is a real difference in stiffness-to-weight and flex tuning, but how advanced a rider you'd have to be to notice the difference, I have no idea.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Only the 6 Series made in Wisco

Trek makes tons of CF frames but only the 6 Series is made in USA (the Project One bikes are only 6 or Speed Concepts).

Your question about different CF though, is a 'big' one, in regards to 'how it's made'. The 6 Series are a smaller production run, according to orders received. Trek has a small core staff of cutters/layup and finishing staff, but will hire on extra hands as needed. The material cost of the frame isn't that much greater than the 600 or 700 OCLV, but of course, the cost for American workers is higher.

You should consider a Project One - they are offering a rebate! Plus you get to customise your bike.

ALso, be sure you understand which 'fit' you want: H1, H2 or H3.

Trek's Madone 6 series is made in the U.S. using a form of carbon fiber tech they use for NASA. The 5 series is made in Taiwan and the carbon is a slight step down but you would probably not notice much of a difference. For me, I like the "plushness" feel carbon gives while still being very stiff.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by Abarnes View Post
    Trek makes tons of CF frames but only the 6 Series is made in USA (the Project One bikes are only 6 or Speed Concepts).

Your question about different CF though, is a 'big' one, in regards to 'how it's made'. The 6 Series are a smaller production run, according to orders received. Trek has a small core staff of cutters/layup and finishing staff, but will hire on extra hands as needed. The material cost of the frame isn't that much greater than the 600 or 700 OCLV, but of course, the cost for American workers is higher.

You should consider a Project One - they are offering a rebate! Plus you get to customise your bike.

ALso, be sure you understand which 'fit' you want: H1, H2 or H3.
    I just spent some time at our local Trek store. Rode the 5.2 Madone WSD, no 6.2's in stock. Blown away with the handling & quickness. I guess they've changed a lot in 17 years & a steel bike. When I stood on it, it almost came out from underneath me.

I am seriously looking at a 6.2 Project One because I can get it with electronic shifting. I have arthritis in my hands & those little button shifters are VERY cool. I saw it in action and will start a new thread on that.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

You will not regret it. I love my Madone 6.2

My Trek bike is my hard trail mtb, alum. I love her for what she is. My xc bike is alum- love it also for what it is. And my roadie is carbon, an Orbea. I love love love my carbon roadie! My riding partner has a Trek roadie and likes it. Carbon sucks up the road, vs your body (like alum). You will love it.

I was very happy with my Madone 4.7 until the top tube mysteriously cracked for no apparent reason.

I still think that carbon fiber is strong in theory. But I wonder if mass produced carbon fiber bike frames are less strong than some other things. I certainly hope the carbon fiber jumbo jets being made by Boeing are stronger than a Madone 4.7...

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

This scares me a lot....I have a new 3.1!
    2011 Trek WSD Madone 3.1
    Asama Luddite (cheap hybrid) 2008 or 2009
    Kuwahara Savage MTB - early 90s

Quote Originally Posted by eatrn View Post
    You will not regret it. I love my Madone 6.2
    I like the 6.2 primarily because it is US made and the carbon fiber is a high quality. The WSD is cool because the handlebars actually fit my hands. Plus, I can pick out my colors, gruppo, etc. I'm working with the store owner who races & has been involved with Trek for 20 years.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    I like the 6.2 primarily because it is US made and the carbon fiber is a high quality. The WSD is cool because the handlebars actually fit my hands. Plus, I can pick out my colors, gruppo, etc. I'm working with the store owner who races & has been involved with Trek for 20 years.
    I love my 6.2 and really liked being able to pick out the color scheme, components, and liked that it was made in neighboring WI.... I need to get around to posting pics on here.

I still have my 2004 5200 Trek (precursor to the 5 Series) which is my foul weather and trainer bike. The carbon on that bike has held up with no problems. I did notice a BIG difference in jump and responsiveness when I test road the new 5 series compared to my '04. The bike DID practically take off from under me.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

I about this <> close to putting down a large chunk of change for the Madone. It would have Ultegra electronic shifters, which the mechanics seem to like better than Dura Ace. It adds $1,300 to the bike as opposed to $3,200 for Dura Ace & the mechanics like Ultegra better. The basic color would be dark forest green and the flames would be dark-grape purple. Sounds weird but very handsome on the bike.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Dogmama,
    If - I mean when - you get this bike- you gotta promise to call me to go on a ride with you. I'm still probably slower than you, but I want to see you flying and enjoying it in person!!!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    Dogmama,
    If - I mean when - you get this bike- you gotta promise to call me to go on a ride with you. I'm still probably slower than you, but I want to see you flying and enjoying it in person!!!
    You got it!

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    The basic color would be dark forest green and the flames would be dark-grape purple. Sounds weird but very handsome on the bike.
    that sounds awesome! you must post photos *when* you get it!
    Rebecca

Riley - custom 2014 Enigma Etape
    Bridget - 2010 Surly Cross Check
    Lorelei - 1979 Puch Princess mixte
    Astrid - 2014 Viking Bromley singlespeed mixte
    Lucy - bespoke 2012 Brompton S1L

Visit my blog: velovoice.blogspot.co.uk