Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: iPod Touch

iPod Touch

To disable ads, please log-in.

My (fifth-gen) iPod is...uh, somewhat elderly. It's getting to the point where the battery no longer holds a charge. It probably has a few months left.

Is there a concrete advantage to sacrificing storage space (160GB) of the Classic for the "ooh, shiny thing!" (32 or 64GB) aspects of the (more expensive) Touch? I don't have a smart phone and I use my Shuffle on walks/while studying.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

My classic ipod was stolen from my office. After a year of "mourning" I did break down and buy an Ipod Touch, to take with me on trips, mostly (I can put some videos, but mostly carry my music in there). The possibility of email and internet access (whenever i am in a place with wireless access) was the attraction for me, as was getting some apps. Having the camera is nice.

An iPod Touch can double as a PDA if you don't plan to get a smart phone soon. (Honestly, although I do occasionally miss the ability to take notes while talking on the phone - which was a lot of why I held out so long - I've grown to love the convenience of having to carry only one device.) I "inherited" a Touch and used it that way for a while after my Palm device was getting long in the tooth.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    My classic ipod was stolen from my office. After a year of "mourning" I did break down and buy an Ipod Touch, to take with me on trips, mostly (I can put some videos, but mostly carry my music in there). The possibility of email and internet access (whenever i am in a place with wireless access) was the attraction for me, as was getting some apps. Having the camera is nice.
    I keep forgetting that it can access the internet. Probably does nothing for battery life, but it would be nice not to have to take my computer *EVERYWHERE* if I wanted to just check my e-mail...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I keep forgetting that it can access the internet. Probably does nothing for battery life, but it would be nice not to have to take my computer *EVERYWHERE* if I wanted to just check my e-mail...
    It's easy to turn wireless off -- I actually keep it off and turn it on only if i need it.

You just have to charge it 1x/day if you plan to use the internet a lot. The ipod touch is a great device as you can watch movies,listen to music, play games and surf the web (when there is wifi). There are even apps where you can text for free and you can also use skype if you want to actually talk to someone. If you don't have a smart phone, it's worth it.

It doesn't work for my DH because he has an extremely large music collection and he wants his entire collection available to him when he commutes to work. Therefore he still has the ipod classic that he carries in his backpack but he also has a smartphone.

I have had an iPod touch 32 GB since September 2010 and I am almost embarrassed at how much I like the device and how much I use it. I live in a big city and wifi is accessible practically everywhere, and when I travel I can access wifi often enough to get access to stuff I need online. I have also purchased a few apps I much appreciate, like maps that are fully accessible off-line. I really love that it syncs with my work and personal calendars, and with my to-do list management system.

I have upwards of 3,600 songs on it, too.

I have to charge it every night, which is fine because that's when it's at my bedside (also serves as alarm clock), but if I turn wifi off it actually lasts for quite a few days.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    What Grog said. I use my iPod Touch a lot. Moreso than my DroidX smartphone (which I can't stand), for Internet browsing, email, and music. I rarely turn on the p.c. any more. It's a do-it-all machine.

I don't have as much music on it as Grog, but can plug it directly into the new truck and listen to what I do have there (that may apply to podcasts, too, but I'm not sure.).
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

The wireless features of the Touch is nice, and the ability for it to double as a PDA is a nice feature. Since I moved to Android for my phone, my old iPhone has, basically, serves as an iPod Touch. I really like it for that purpose, it made a cra**y phone. You can always turn off the wireless for when you aren't around it, and it is easy to switch on/off once you've stored the settings for a particular wireless network.