Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Stupid, stupid, me!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I got into my head that I was ready to try handstands with no wall. The results were not favorable. Landing on your head, even with a mat under you is not pleasant.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Ouch ouch ouch. Are you concussed? How are your neck and back? (After months of practicing I think I can get my heels off the wall for two seconds. On a good day. )
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

you're supposed to tuck your head girl!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Ouch ouch ouch. Are you concussed? How are your neck and back? (After months of practicing I think I can get my heels off the wall for two seconds. On a good day. )

I don't think so. My head aches and my neck is sore, which I think is to be expected - no blurry vision, no nausea and no weird tiredness. And my back is fine. I landed smack on my head. I think I need to learn how to tuck.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    you're supposed to tuck your head girl!
    LOL Yes, yes I know!

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Do you know how to cartwheel up into a handstand so your chest is facing the wall? You need to remember to duck & roll if you fall out of it but it keeps you from training your body to lean your heels towards the wall. You can support with one toe while working on alignment through the spine and gently pull that foot away when you're ready. Just another intermediate step to unsupported.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

That sounds hard! I think I'll build my confidence back with heels on the wall for now.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Eek!!! I practice headstand at the wall. I'll only do it in the middle of the room if somebody spots me. I'm too chicken to try it on my own.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Ow!

There was a guy at the gym the other night - early 60's. I swear he held a headstand - away from a wall - for 5 minutes. It was insane. If my head is on the ground like that, it's because I am napping.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    Do you know how to cartwheel up into a handstand so your chest is facing the wall? You need to remember to duck & roll if you fall out of it but it keeps you from training your body to lean your heels towards the wall. You can support with one toe while working on alignment through the spine and gently pull that foot away when you're ready. Just another intermediate step to unsupported.
    Is there a video that teaches that method?

I haven't done L-stands in a while - that's another way of learning while leaning the opposite direction - should probably practice that.

I love headstand though, literally, the whole world looks different after a few minutes upside down. And it's been sooooo good for my spinal alignment.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Ouch!

I used to try doing handstands as a kid...that was the result. I'm a klutz.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I am stupid, too!

I was a college gymnast. One handstand-gone-bad (one of HUNDREDS) was on the balance beam. BAM! smashed my head onto the beam, then CRASH to the ground. My head was ok, but I sprained a finger. I guess I have a hard head noggin!!
    Bork Bork, Hork Hork!!

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    Ow!

There was a guy at the gym the other night - early 60's. I swear he held a headstand - away from a wall - for 5 minutes. It was insane. If my head is on the ground like that, it's because I am napping.
    There are people at my yoga studio who van do (and hold) all sorts of crazy inversions in the middle of the room. One instructor is so steady in her headstand that she doesn't move even the slightest bit once she's in the pose. I can get into it without the wall and hold it, but I still like having it close in case I lose my balance.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Is there a video that teaches that method?

I haven't done L-stands in a while - that's another way of learning while leaning the opposite direction - should probably practice that.

I love headstand though, literally, the whole world looks different after a few minutes upside down. And it's been sooooo good for my spinal alignment.
    Not that I know of...I can look when I'm not at work though. It was just something we did in gymnastics when I was younger.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I finally got the courage up to try another handstand - funny how much landing on you head can deter you.

I was smart and did it against the wall and with Thom spotting. I like the challenge of something I can 't quite do.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com