Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I purchased my Ruby in March. The shop was willing to order one in my size to try and knew I might choose not to buy it, but said they would be able to sell it because it was early in the season. If you can't try the right size now, see if you can get your LBS to do this.

The other bike shops did not offer to do this, and I road-tested a 48 cm Cannondale Super Six, knowing it was too much of a stretch, but did not even try a Cannondale Synapse. I also tested a Trek 47 cm and it was also too big for me. The one shop really won me over by ordering the bike w/ no commitment to buy.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Jyyanks, I have the same tendency to take the cheaper option. It makes sense in the short term, but I end up regretting it long-term. This is how I ended up with my bike. (She's a bit like AZfiddle's Fuji. Aluminum, slightly too long, low-end components...but don't tell her I said that. ) I did the "I don't need/deserve a nice bike, because I suck at this" thing...and now I want something lighter, faster, smoother...that fits better.

Specialized is expensive, but for those of us in the torso-challenged category, they're nice. I've never ridden a Ruby (shop doesn't have a floor model in my size), but I rode a Dolce and it fit like a glove.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

When I got ready to make my big purchase a couple of years ago, I had no clue what I wanted. I ended up with a full carbon Fuji. While I got a great dealon the bike it was still a big investment. However, as long as the frame doesn't crack I see myself on this bike for a long time. I may have to upgrade the components, but not the frame........well worth the money in my opinion.
    "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" (Robert F. Kennedy)

My first road bike I bought used at a local beach bike store. They had a used Trek 2000 47cm bike. I test road it, and they fit to me the best they could. Ended up buying it for $400. I'm 5'0" so you have an idea of sizing. I just bought a Felt F5 48cm bike which I love, love, love. Like one of the others mentioned having the Trek has made me appreciate the F5 that much more. I'm actually making the Trek into more a commuter/errand type bike. The Specialized 44cm bikes also fit me. Before I choose the Felt F5 I was also looking at the Specialized Ameria (44cm) and the Trek Madone (47cm). Felt also has the ZW line if you are interested in looking at that brand.

Azfiddle - I'm going to ask the shop if they are willing to do that. They are a large local dealer with several stores in the area so I'm sure they won't have a problem moving it.

Owlie - I totally know what you mean. I always settle instead of going for what I really want and end up regretting it, or even worse, spending even more money to make whatever I bought feel like what I should have bought. Case in point is when I bought my first folding bike, it was a single speed with poor components. Within a month I was regretting my purchase. Anyway, my dear sweet DH bought me a new folder for my bday I ended up giving my new "old" one to my daughter (who loves it). That's when my bike obsession really began

Justdoit - thanks for the encouragement. Makes me even more excited to get a road bike instead of the hybrid I was considering.

Koronin - the Felt is on my list! Is the 48 considered a "small (700)" or "petite (650)". My local place has their inventory online but they don't list the sizes in cm, only by petite, small,medium or large.

I did not know how to shift on a road bike before I got one (today.)

Also, my DH, who has been riding a road bike for years, didn't know how to shift at first, either. He rolls with a Specialized Tarmac and today, I acquired a Trek WSD Madone 3.1.

Quote Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post
    Owlie - I totally know what you mean. I always settle instead of going for what I really want and end up regretting it, or even worse, spending even more money to make whatever I bought feel like what I should have bought.
    That's what is pretty much happening with my bike. I've done the math to upgrade to 105 + nicer wheels, and that plus the cost of the bike is...more than the cost of either of two of the bikes on my list, and probably more than half the cost of the Ruby I was looking at. Plus it still won't fit. DBF and I have been discussing whether it makes more sense to upgrade parts piecemeal or to just bite the bullet and buy another bike.

I'm learning. I managed to not do that with my computer before I went to grad school.

There's never "too much bike" (until you get to the pro-quality stuff--then it gets ridiculous), just bike that you don't know you need. If it hasn't been suggested already, take a look at Jamis. I don't know how small the bikes go (since I'm at the opposite end of the size spectrum), but they make nice bikes for the money.

jyyanks. In the F5 the 48 is the smallest frame. I'm thinking you're looking at the ZW series since that one is done in petite, small, medium and tall. The 48cm F5 would be similar to the petite in the ZW although the geometry is different. For the F series the 48cm is 700 wheels. Looking on Felt's site they only list 700 wheels in the spec section of the ZW series. It looks like Felt lists the women's bikes at petite, small, ect and the men's bikes in cm.
    Here's a link to Felt's website:
    http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA.aspx
    Hope that helps a bit.

This is more of a personal decision as finances, commitment, time, etc all fall into play. I bit the bullet a couple months ago and invested in a Ruby with 105's as my first bike since high school. I went in looking for a $700 hybrid thinking THAT would be an investment and left with a $2500 bike (on sale)! My reasoning was, the more comfortable the bike, the more I'd want to ride it. I also wanted a very light bike so I could easily take it in and out of my car. As far as the gears, I didn't really like how the Sram gears felt in the test run, so 105's was the only other option. I, too, didn't know how to use the gears until the test ride at the LBS. 2 months later: I love my bike...I ride it every chance , I get lots of compliments, and my performance has seriously improved. No buyer's remorse for this newbie

I can't imagine "not knowing how to shift" would be a reason not to get a bike. If you've never had a road bike, why would you know how to do this?
    When I got my first road bike, I had been riding a bike with trigger shifters. The switch didn't seem too arduous and I am not the most coordinated person in the world! DH showed me when I had the bike on the trainer in the LBS and it seemed kind of intuitive. I spent a bit of time in the middle ring, exploring the range of gears on the right, but I also had to use the granny right away, too. The big ring never worked well on my first road bike, so it wasn't until I got my Trek that I started using that.
    I made the decision not to switch to SRAM when I got my custom bike, after someone explained how it worked. After using Shimano for almost 10 years, I knew switching back and forth between systems on my 2 bikes would not be good for me, as I like things the same. It probably would have been OK to switch if that's the only system I would be using.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Owlie - "There's never "too much bike" (until you get to the pro-quality stuff--then it gets ridiculous), just bike that you don't know you need"
    Love this quote! Buy your self a new bike! (LOL - I'm an enabler too.) I think since you've invested so much in your current bike and it's still not quite right, a new one may be the solution. Of course, it's easier said than done but you do deserve to treat yourself.

Koronin - thank you ! Very helpful. I was looking at the ZW Series but will take a look at the F's. A local place has both in stock.

happysurfer - yep that was me! I was going to invest $700 on a hybrid and am now thinking I need a road. So glad to hear that it worked out for you and that you are hapyy with your purchase.

Crankin - hehehe - I did feel like an idiot when I had no idea how to shift. My current folding bike has the shifters that you turn so I had no idea what to do when I was on the road bike. It will take a lot of getting used to but since I'm new to all this, there's a lot that I've been trying to learn (like how to pedal correctly, how to stay on rollers etc). I haven't had this much fun in years!

Just measured myself

For those still following, I just took my measurements.

5ft (exact)
    27 inch inseam
    25 inch torso
    22 1/2 arm length

Basically, I'm short all around! I'm headed to the Jamis and Felt LBS's today to see what they have. Thanks for all the help!
    Last edited by jyyanks; 11-27-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Owlie - "There's never "too much bike" (until you get to the pro-quality stuff--then it gets ridiculous), just bike that you don't know you need"
    Love this quote! Buy your self a new bike! (LOL - I'm an enabler too.) I think since you've invested so much in your current bike and it's still not quite right, a new one may be the solution. Of course, it's easier said than done but you do deserve to treat yourself.
    It'll happen eventually--probably a graduation present to myself.

I had no clue how to work the shifters when I got my bike--I'd never had a geared bike before. I still have a bit of an issue trying to figure out the levers when I test ride (since Sora has thumb triggers instead of the secondary lever). And SRAM makes no sense to me.

For those still following, I just took my measurements.

5ft (exact)
    27 inch inseam
    25 inch torso
    22 1/2 are length

Basically, I'm short all around! I'm headed to the Jamis and Felt LBS's today to see what they have. Thanks for all the help!
    Felt is going to have the shortest standover I think, on the ZW line, the petite bikes with the 650 wheels. You might not have to go that small. But the most important measurement in my mind is the reach. You just don't want to be stretched out too far. You can get away with a slightly too high top tube. Though it has been nice for me to have a bike where I don't have that issue (my 43cm Madone with 650 wheels, no longer made).

Enjoy your test rides! I wanted to try the Felt but never tracked one down.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 11-27-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    Felt is going to have the shortest standover I think, on the ZW line, the petite bikes with the 650 wheels.
    Let me point out that Felt doesn't have a Woman Specific Geometry line of bikes. They simply have a single range of frame sizes. The two biggest ZW geometries are identical to the two smallest Z series geometries.

This may not be an issue for the OP who likely fits one of the two smallest ZW sizes. As those aren't offered in the unisex Z series, they might actually have WSG.
    Laura