Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling, triathlon & fitness apparel.

Thread: Ballet. Again.

Ballet. Again.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Did I mention it's hard to recondition for ballet when you haven't done it in awhile?

Ugh.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

last year about this time i decided to revisit ballet. I loved it. But it didn't love me. I dropped out after 2 quarters when i got a frozen shoulder. I also got a bone spur in my heel. The heel has healed, the frozen shoulder is almost mended.
    It was not a particularly challenging class... I was very disappointed.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I had two longstanding fantasies as a child. The first is that I wanted to ride horses. The second is that I wanted to be a ballerina. I tried taking a class geared for adults a few years ago but realized very quickly that I had no aptitude for it. I am so jealous that you know how to dance. What brings you back to it?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

In some ways I've never stopped. In a very limited fashion anyway! I do a little constantly. But not a complete barre in a long time.

I had very, very good training when I was younger...

I'm doing it on my own. The only qualified class in my immediate area is Vaganova style, and they don't warm up well enough for me. (I tried them about 10 years ago). The available classes lack details I want, too.

I've always had a ballet barre. Using some Finis Jhung dvd's to get going. But I actually just use his corrections and music and design my own class.

Plus, re-reading Classical Ballet Technique so I can self-correct more effectively. Plus design 'lessons.'

Won't be doing many jumps. But already see a lot more strength in my right (knee weakened) leg than a couple of days ago.

So far working on the two main steps in ballet. (One of which is in every step, pose, whatever. Did you know there are only two steps in ballet? ). Plie and battement tendus. Plie=to bend. Tendus = to stretch. Being careful.

I need some rosin.

Battswebb

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    last year about this time i decided to revisit ballet. I loved it. But it didn't love me. I dropped out after 2 quarters when i got a frozen shoulder. I also got a bone spur in my heel. The heel has healed, the frozen shoulder is almost mended.
    It was not a particularly challenging class... I was very disappointed.
    I should have addressed this.

What precisely did you do in this class that caused these injuries? Or rather, what did the instructor fail to do?

Bone spurs. Probably caused by heels not touching the floor in a relaxed but centered position.

Shoulder...that's an odd thing to happen outside of pas de deux (partnering), did the instructor train carefully in proper placement? I.e., alignment of the spine, hips, head, opening chest while lifting, etc?

Does the place where you went have a website?

Sounds, wrong. More likely their fault, and not because you shouldn't be in a ballet class.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 11-26-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Battswebb