Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Number of different jobs you've had, type of jobs/positions

To disable ads, please log-in.

One of the reasons why I have to work until retirement is that I haven't had a career so far where I've worked several decades with 1 large employer.

Now to answer the above question, is to exclude jobs you've before you finished highh school. No doubt, those who are consultants, would answer "job" differently, but the job was /is a consultant.

I've had 12 different jobs for nearly the past 30 yrs. () My resume is a challenge to compress. Most jobs I applied for, do point to 80% of previous work experience.
    3 were part-time while I was looking for full-time work. 1 was at a bookstore (just after I finished university), 2 were in electronic document management, 1 is part-time blogmaster and remaining in specialized libraries.

No I haven't interupted my career, with full-time studies --yet. I'm not sure if I ever will. I haven't got any ideas about this.
    But I've survived 2 major moves across Canada, have worked in 3 different provinces and that has affected my work history. The present employer does consider it an advantage that I had worked in different areas of Canada, as well as different industry sectors.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 11-21-2011 at 04:11 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

My resume looks quite different from others who were career educators. My first job was in a private special needs school for boys and then I worked in 7 different school districts, in 2 states. In my second to last district, I had 3 different jobs, one in a middle school, and one in an elementary school, where I was able to make the transition from special ed to teaching Language Arts. I was in my last district for 8 years, my longest employment, ever. It actually was 8.5, since I went back for half a year, as a long term sub after I quit.
    I am now in my first job in my new career as a therapist. I didn't count my 2 clinical internships, which, although they were not paid, they felt like real jobs, especially last year. I also didn't count my student teaching or my master's internship for my first grad. degree.
    Only one of these job changes was because I was laid off (I was hired back, but already had another job). They were all because I had gone back to school, moved, or wanted a job closer to home/better in terms of support.
    I also was a group exercise instructor at 3 different places in 2 states between 1986 and 1996, and I've been a bike trip leader (volunteer) for AMC since 2005.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

If we exclude college and high school... I'm in my first job ever. So far being a veterinarian is pretty awesome and I like my job. Not always so keen on the town I live in and I miss my family terribly. But every day is different and interesting.

However, in college I worked for the university newspaper and when I was in veterinary school I worked as a tour guide for the college, a food sales rep for a major pet food company and as a research assistant/animal caretaker at our aviary on campus.

What I have found over the years is I actually love to work. Weekends when I don't do anything are nice every now and then, but after a few days of nothingness I go crazy.

Minus several retail jobs I had in college, I'm on job number three post-law school. My first job was inherently temporary (I had a clerkship with a state appellate judge). I was at my second job--at a large law firm--for two years before I couldn't take it anymore. I've been at my current job with the federal government for 11. My boss retires in less than three years. It will be up to his replacement whether I get to stay on. So, I may be in job number four before I know it.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I worked at Ruby Tuesday through college, pretty much every position they had.

After college, I worked in archaeology for two years - inherently temporary, but I only worked for two companies and had a few longer-term sites.

Since then I've been with the same company. I don't particularly like what I do but I don't really know what else I'd do either. I guess a lot of people end up in jobs like that, hmm?

(And then I've taught with about 10 different music organizations. Or something like that.)

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Hmmm, real jobs... Police officer, Firefighter/Medic, Pro Lifeguard, Social Work, and now I work in a library.

So five total "careers", but within those I've changed jobs a time or two. As a LEO I worked in both IL and NM, as a pro lifeguard I worked two different places in FL, in social work I worked for three agencies in two states.

Also, when single I routinely worked additional part-time jobs to make ends meet. When I was a FF I drove trucks, did phlebotomy and autopsies at the hospital, summers I'd drive for local seed corn companies, in Fall I'd drive harvest trucks for friends who farmed.

Electra Townie 7D

I had two entirely separate careers. I first got a master's degree in psychology and worked in neuroscience research through a university.

I then decided that I did not want to finish my doctorate and spend my life chasing funding.

I entirely changed my direction and became a lawyer. I did that for 20 years, primarily working in intellectual property, and then I retired.

For a couple of years after I retired I worked hard to lobby and write on health care reform issues. I got sick of politics and extremely burnt out. Now I bike, chase birds, and hang out on internet message boards.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 11-21-2011 at 06:38 AM.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Post college:
    VISTA volunteer (home-bound Peace Corps, now called AmeriCorps)
    EMT / Fire Dispatcher / Firefighter
    Medical Secretary/Admitting Clerk - 1 Doctor's office, 2 hospitals
    Girl Friday
    Park Ranger (non-enforcement)
    Wildlife Biologist
    Fisheries Technician
    Fisheries Lab Tech (2 different labs)
    Biologist (2 offices)

In the above I've been fired once, laid off twice, juggled two jobs at the same time to make a living wage or to get a toehold with the agency I preferred working for at the particular time, and moved 6 times because the next job was in a different town (more than 100 miles) than where I lived at the time.
    Beth

I'm a designer for a publishing house. Every time I've thought about getting a different job, I find I'm just not as excited about other companies. I love books, so its a good fit.

I've been at the same company for going on 13 years. I'm a lifer, as long as they'll have me. Not too many jobs out there where I get to work from home 90% of the time. I also have decent benefits and 6 weeks vacation. The pay isn't the greatest, but I love the flexibility.

However, I would like to get into more fine-arts again. I'm hoping to take some metal working classes this winter or next. I want to start making custom head badges for bikes, jewelry, sculpture, etc. Of course, this would be more of a hobby and for fun money--not a career.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Quote Originally Posted by bmccasland View Post
    Post college:
    VISTA volunteer (home-bound Peace Corps, now called AmeriCorps)
    EMT / Fire Dispatcher / Firefighter
    Medical Secretary/Admitting Clerk - 1 Doctor's office, 2 hospitals
    Girl Friday
    Park Ranger (non-enforcement)
    Wildlife Biologist
    Fisheries Technician
    Fisheries Lab Tech (2 different labs)
    Biologist (2 offices)

In the above I've been fired once, laid off twice, juggled two jobs at the same time to make a living wage or to get a toehold with the agency I preferred working for at the particular time, and moved 6 times because the next job was in a different town (more than 100 miles) than where I lived at the time.
    Beth - were you a wildland or structural FF?

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Beth - were you a wildland or structural FF?
    Yes. Both. Part-time.
    Smoke jumpers are my heros.
    Beth

Stall cleaner, groomer, stable help
    Carhop
    Waitress
    worked in science lab
    Worked as administrator for a trucking company
    Taught horseback riding lessons
    worked as a wrangler, cook, bottle washer at a dude ranch, waitress
    worked on Thoroughbred Race track, started as a hotwalker, groom, ended up as an exercise girl
    Ran a brood mare farm
    receptionist in a law firm
    cocktail waitress
    taught horseback riding lessons
    paralegal for about 20 years or so
    League Coordinator for Northern Arizona tennis association

In marketing, I worked at 4 different jobs over 11 years, with a break for grad school.

In software development, it's more complicated.

- First job was for a little more than a year.
    - Second job was for a few months before being laid off.
    - Then I started working on the project where I am now, and I've been here for 11 years. But during that time, I've had 5 different employers. The first one hired me, then lost the contract and laid us all off, but the company that won the contract hired us all immediately. That company has since been bought out 4 times.

I hate the current owner -- they're really cheap and they claim their compensation policies are designed to reward the best workers, but in reality they're encouraging the best workers to leave. I can't figure out if they're just lying to us and hoping we don't notice that no one will ever get a raise, or if they're too stupid to figure out that their policies will never accomplish their goals. Anyway I like the project I work on so I'm hoping we get sold again soon.

BTW on my resume, I leave out most of the marketing stuff and just condense it into a couple of bullet points that highlight things most relevant to software development (data processing and analysis). It's not necessary to include details that aren't related to whatever you're applying for.
    Last edited by ny biker; 11-21-2011 at 07:48 AM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by bmccasland View Post
    Yes. Both. Part-time.
    Smoke jumpers are my heros.
    Same here, those are some amazing people. I only got to do a little wildland stuff, it was GREAT!! Not being inside a burning structure is way more fun.

Electra Townie 7D

I've had the same career since college - but have worked at 10 or so places, due to my inherent gypsy nature.

My dream job is a far cry from what I'm currently doing, but not possible at present.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN