Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good choice for a first mountain bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi there
    I'm looking for an entry-level mountain bike - I'll be using it mainly on dirt trails around Wellington. I'm guessing that for the money I want to spend hard tail is going to be my best bet. I doubt I'll be riding anything too technical for a while so I don't need anything too fancy in any case. Can anyone comment on whether this looks suitable? I'm around 5 foot 3 and ride a small Giant road bike.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=423866475

Ooh, see if you can get your hands on a '09 Cannondale F5 in their "petite" size. I scored one for half of retail, since Cannondale greatly overestimated how many they needed to make in that size. A few months back they had hundreds sitting in the warehouse. My guess is they are all gone, but it doesn't hurt to ask your nearest Cdale dealer. I think we got mine for about $375 and they normally retailed for $750. I am just under 5'4". I could probably go with a size larger, especially because I like a longer cockpit, but I'm pretty comfortable on the petite (essentially an XS).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to go into my LBS and see what they have available. I only recently bought myself my dream road bike, so I'm being a bit cheeky looking for MTBs already! I personally want as much standover room as possible. I've been looking at 16 inch frames, and they seem about right. I'm not sure what the seller is saying in this case when she says the frame's 24?!

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    I'm not sure what the seller is saying in this case when she says the frame's 24?!
    It could have 24" wheels/tires.

This confused me at one point too - I couldn't understand why people were using such large numbers to describe small bikes. Then I discovered that non-cyclists who are only familiar with one-size-fits-all X-mart bikes differentiate them via wheel size.
    Laura

Ah yes, that makes sense! I've left a question on the auction asking her if there's an XS on the frame to indicate its size, as I suspect that's what it will be.

It hadn't occurred to me the wheels might be 24 inch. I'm not so sure I'm keen on them being that small. Still, I might be able to pick it up cheaply enough that I can live with them till I decide whether I like off road cycling enough to upgrade.

I'm not sure, but I think 24" wheels are typically put on kids' bikes.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think 24" wheels are typically put on kids' bikes.
    Yes.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Not sure where they are getting the 24". Searching on specs for an approx 2009 Scott Contessa 40 indicates only 26" tires; there is no "Junior" version of a Contessa.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...TATES#features

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

Yep, it's a 15 inch frame with 26 inch wheels. Methinks the seller doesn't know too much about bikes! The auction closes in half an hour and someone outbid me a while back, but the highest bid is still lower than I'm prepared to go so I'm going to wait a bit longer than stick my hand up again! Strategy ...

And .... I didn't get the bike. I bid over what I was comfortable bidding and someone went higher than me. I sat there watching the seconds tick down with my hand on my mouse ready to put another bid in but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I think the person who bought it paid too much, but that's their choice! I guess I'll just have to keep looking ...

And .... I didn't get the bike. I bid over what I was comfortable bidding and someone went higher than me. I sat there watching the seconds tick down with my hand on my mouse ready to put another bid in but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I think the person who bought it paid too much, but that's their choice! I guess I'll just have to keep looking ...
    Your bike is out there, it just wasn't time. You don't want to regret your timing, for sure. Good luck with your search!

Well, it took a little time but I finally got a bike! I bought a four year old bike by Avanti. It only cost me $150NZ, an absolute steal. It's in great condition, well looked after. I figure it'll give me a year to decide whether I like riding offroad enough to upgrade, and by that time the next year's sales will be starting. Right now I have a bike which will enable me to get my husband to drag out his bike from storage and tackle a few easy trails with me. I'm a very happy Pip!

Well, it took a little time but I finally got a bike! I bought a four year old bike by Avanti. It only cost me $150NZ, an absolute steal. It's in great condition, well looked after. I figure it'll give me a year to decide whether I like riding offroad enough to upgrade, and by that time the next year's sales will be starting. Right now I have a bike which will enable me to get my husband to drag out his bike from storage and tackle a few easy trails with me. I'm a very happy Pip!
    Congrats! Enjoy! One tip (you may already know) with Mt biking- some obstacles, jumps, log piles etc..... are way easier on a bike with more travel or really good shocks (might be using the wrong vernacular) I have a hard tail Trek that I love, but one day I rode my son's Kona and discovered the difference...WOW I upgraded my front shocks the next day....and realized some of the tuff stuff wasn't ME but the limits of my bike.............

I totally agree with tealtreak about the quality of shocks contributing to skills. I have never upgraded a shock on a bike but I have upgraded bikes twice. Each new bike fit me better and came with better shocks than the previous one. My riding significantly improved with each upgrade.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Yes, I predict I'll be a bit limited in how much I can do with this bike, but it's so cheap that I'm not too worried if I end up buying something else towards the end of this year. It will also give me a chance to satisfy myself that I am a small sized frame, not a medium. One of the sales guys in a store I went into was trying to get me onto a medium but I just didn't feel right about the standover. To be honest I suspect I'm probably just in between sizes, but I guess I'll find out when I start riding up some of the steep hills around here. If I feel like I'm about to tip over backwards then .....