For better or for worse, I have committed to a 50k race in March at the urging of an evil friend. I did some sorter races in the wayback, but I can honestly say that I put zero thought into training for those. I did them on classic gear, but I plan to skate this one for a number of reasons.

I know how to train for running 50k but not skiing 50k. I'll be limited to skiing maybe 2x a week, 3x if we get lucky and have a good snow year that keeps the lower elev areas covered. I'm worried that 2x a week might not be enough and that I should rethink and switch to the 25k.

I'm hoping those who have done the Birkie and the like will chime in and offer some thoughts. I plan to have at least one day with a long skate, building up the distance through race time. I plan to fuel as I would fuel running. But is 2x a week enough? Or is it not realistic to think that I could do 50k with that level of training? I'd never do a running 50k on 2x week training, so I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about it.

I am talking with other ski folks about this but I know there are some gals who post here that race. Just trying to get a blanket of opinions that will hopefully show a pattern. Thanks, ladies!