Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Dog

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by goride View Post
    Dear Dog - you can tell time, can't you. How? How do you know it's time for your supper? At 4:30 you go in the kitchen and stand in front of the closet where your food is kept. By 4:40 you are pacing and crying if you haven't been fed. Then you act like Lassie and you come to get me in case I didn't hear you crying. (And yes, smittykitty - he is a beagle.)
    And I thought this was only a corgi thing...

Dear very old golden,

I first saw you when your mom brought you home, your forever home. That was 14 or so years ago. I remember you were just this bundle of energy running under the coffee table and running out the other side. Watched you pee as your mom picked you up, ran outside and show where you were supposed to pee. You always have a smile on your face.

And now, you have arthritis, and you don't hear too well, don't see too well, and your sniffer isn't that good anymore either. Sometimes, you don't remember what you are supposed to be doing. But I understand. And you are still furry as ever and you always have a smile on your face.

I love you very much. I wish I could make you young again.

Seriously??

Dear Zack,

Cataracts? Really? You didn't get the memo about my new bike did you?

Signed,

Very poor Dogmama

PS, I love you anyway!!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    And you are still furry as ever and you always have a smile on your face.

I love you very much. I wish I could make you young again.
    Awww. I have a special soft spot for goldens There's no other dog that can smile with their whole body like that.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Dear Thrifty Dog,

It's cool how you will save for later dog biscuits you don't want at that very moment. But my dressy boots are not a suitable place to keep your stash. 4 biscuits in the right boot, and 1 in the left... If you're looking for them, they are in a bag, on the kitchen counter.

Dear big boy dog - I know the new little dog is annoying, but she is still little. Please wait until she is bigger than your mouth before you try to bite her. Thanks.

Dear big girl dog - Thanks for being such a patient and understanding puppy-sitter. I could not have asked for better behavior from a big sister. You truly are a wonder.

Dear little dog - Why is it that you can learn from the big dogs how to play, how to behave for treats, how to ask for dinner, how to 'kill the squeek' in a toy, how to use the dog door, how to NOT chase the ducks and how to sleep quietly when the humans are in bed...but you cannot figure out that peeing happens OUTSIDE (and not just inside) the dog door? Is it something we are doing? If so, give us a clue. Thanks.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Dear dog,
    thank you for agreeing to be my running buddy. Your pleading eyes and wagging tail motivate me in a completely unique way!

Dear dog,

What's up with chasing off cats when they try to join us in bed at night? Are you trying to raise your status in the heirarchy? Are you defending your stash of chew toys in the room? Are you trying to defend me? I like having the cats join us; please get over it. You are the number one dog, even if at least one cat outranks you. The cats aren't interested in your treasures, either.

If this keeps up, you might find yourself spending the night locked away in a bathroom.

Dear Dog,
    You are a herding dog and supposed to chase just about every thing that moves. You should actually be a better mouser than my cats. So why has there been evidence of a mouse in my kitchen?
    Mom

Not all who wander are lost

Dear dog,
    Yes, you are a dog. That is why you are named KELEV- dog in Hebrew. I promised myself I would not spoil you but I failed, and you strut around with that smug little grin that comes with knowing that you can get whatever you want by making a goofy face or trying to look deprived.

But yes you proved that you are more than just a dog. Somehow you 'got it' when my father became ill and I became a caregiver. You became a caregiver, a companion, a watch dog who always came and got me when dad needed something or had to be assisted. How did you figure that out? Who taught you that he did not belong in the kitchen alone at night? A dangerous place for a man with Dementia, and you came and got me to go investigate with a look like I have never seen before. I did not understand at first, thought you wanted another cookie, but found dad there instead, and got him back to bed. It took me a few times to figure out; you were never around for that cookie after I took care of dad- you got me because of dad.

Now he is in a home, and you are unemployed. No more caregiving. You can be that goofy dog again, older and wiser though. I'm wiser too. It's amazing what a dog can teach a person. Enjoy your retirement, Kelev.
    Last edited by tzvia; 01-02-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

That's an incredible (and gorgeous) dog, tzivia. Sorry to learn about your father's illness.

Tzvia, what a great dog! And a great name too. Are you going to be able to take Kelev to visit your dad in the home?

Dear bouncy dog,
    Please don't pull so hard on the leash when it's snowy. It's cold, so you want to move fast, but I'm walking on only 2 feet and can slip and fall a lot easier than you on your 4 feet.

tzvia, incredible story and beautiful dog.

skhill- wish I could, but he is almost 14 now and having hip issues, his legs give out. Which means he has access to that part of the yard that he can get to without stairs. I live on a hillside, and it's a flight of stairs down to get to the street or up to the main part of the yard. He can't do it currently. I did take him about a month ago, but it was too much for him, and he is afraid to try the stairs again. He wanders around the house sometimes, and I get the feeling he is looking for his 'job'. Now he watches me where ever I go.

That photo is like 4 years old, his face is all white now.

Dear dog, yes it sucks getting old. You and me both kid. We both need new bodies. I am glad you are still smiling. Me, I've got my Ben Gay and DMSO...
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Tzvia, I almost teared up reading about your dog, he just sounds so sweet and just plain incredible. I can just see him still wanting to do his job