Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

cycling in new zealand-bike question

hi everyone.
    I will be traveling in NZ (south island) in Jan. We are bringing our road bikes and plan to do a mix of camping, tramping and cycling, based out of a rental car or van. I am having a debate with my BF about security for the bikes: living in northern california, I am quite paranoid about leaving the bikes on a car rack when we are not around, even if they are locked to the rack. My BF thinks that the bikes will be safe and that I am being a paranoid american urbanite.

Any advice on this? My feeling is that tourist vehicles can be a crime magnet no matter where you are, and that a better option would be to stash the bikes somewhere (or hide them in the campervan if we end up going that route).

thanks for the advice. Also, feel free to share recommended rides! We are not bike touring, but anticipate doing a lot of riding.
    NM

Auckland...Honolulu... now San Diego.... where next ?!?
    Definatley pack your bikes away on your campervan or inside the car...NZ is safe enough but i wouldnt leave mine unlocked or on back of car for long...

Not suitable for road bikes but if you can hire hybrid or mountain bike, you should go on Central Otago Rail Trail from Alexandra to Middlemarch... its awesome! Then catch steam train to Dunedin :-) google for website ....

Theres another rail trail that goes from Christchurch to Banks Pennisula - i assume it wasnt affected by earthquake in February

Enjoy... makes sure you book things in advance....january is summer holiday time and places will be busy....
    People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things - Sir Edmund Hillary

I leave mine chained to the bike rack while we're on holiday, but I have to admit that if I were parked in a secluded car park (like at the start of a popular tourist walkway) I'd prefer to try and have the bike somewhere a little more secure. Unfortunately even leaving it in the car itself would feel risky. New Zealand's normally pretty secure and safe, but there are always people who will try to take advantage of tourists. Have fun though - where abouts in the South Island are you thinking of going? There's some great cycling to be had, if you can get used to the prevalence of chip sealed roads!

The west coast of the South Island is great for cycling. The roads aren't too busy and there are some lovely flat to undulating stretches with the odd climb to keep you alert. If you're into wine I can recommend Central Otago, and there's even an organised race you can take part in:

http://www.cromwell.org.nz/events/su...e-classic.aspx

I'm biased about this one because my father-in-law has a vineyard not far from Cromwell in Bannockburn!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    My partner took off for a solo cycling trip in both the North and South Island of New Zealand ...about 12 years ago for 6 months.

He really enjoyed it. The lst month just happened to be one of the rainiest years for NZ at that time.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

thanks for all of the input!
    I am still putting the rough itinerary together, so welcome any and all riding or tramping suggestions. We'll be there for about 3 weeks, then I will continue into N island for another week or so.

Planning to start in christchurch area; one possibility is:
    Arthur's Pass
    Punakaiki & Paparoa
    Wanaka
    Te Anau
    Mt Cook
    back to ChCh
    (note, will break up the driving with stops)

We haven't yet looked into riding options & how they fit into this rough itinerary. We are intrigued by the mountain passes of the five-passes tour and will probably try to fit in a few (riding wise). Also, the BF found an epic ride out of ChCh area out to Akaroa (http://app.strava.com/rides/2083604#) that he is interested in.

Welcome any thoughts! thanks for the heads up on chip seal-- I am going to bring my 28s!
    NM