Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Protein Powder Supplements

To disable ads, please log-in.

I got such impressive feed-back about creatin, I'm now going to enquire about protein supplements. Do any of you use them for muscle repair/strength? I know that body builders use them but am unsure how they'd go for cyclists. I would really love to increase my strength & muscle bulk without using anything too weird. Would love to hear from anyone with experience in this area. Cheers, Yas.

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmin
    I got such impressive feed-back about creatin, I'm now going to enquire about protein supplements. Do any of you use them for muscle repair/strength? I know that body builders use them but am unsure how they'd go for cyclists. I would really love to increase my strength & muscle bulk without using anything too weird. Would love to hear from anyone with experience in this area. Cheers, Yas.
    Hi, Yas, I'm not a big-time athlete, but I did start using EnduroxR4 this year after runs and long rides. It's a carb (sugar) and protein powder mix. If I do it full-strength, I can't choke back more than a few mouthfuls (too sweet), but if I do it 1/2 strength, I can drink a glass. I had heard from a few people that the mix of protein and carb right after exercise (within 30 min) is important. Others just mix OJ and soy protein powder. My main concern is avoiding muscle damage.

I find it very difficult to eat food right after exercise (and that's the only time in my life I find it difficult to eat! ). So I drink this stuff, wait awhile, and eat a meal. I often drink another product by the same company, Accelerade, before I go for a run, or during a long bike ride. I alternate it with water when riding. That's my 2 cents. BTW, it's COLD here in Chicago! Enjoy your summer! Lise
    Last edited by Lise; 11-29-2005 at 07:47 AM.

i was drinking a protein shake for a few weeks when i was doing a specific workout/weight rotation.... however it added a lot of calories that i would have to find a place to cut back elsewhere.. so i stopped drinking them.... i don't know that i would have ever considered protein supplements if i were just a cyclist and not into working out/weight lifting...

my husband still uses them... and also uses endurox after hard rides... (and we just bought him creotin... but he has more calories available during the day than i do!

Thanks girls, I'm taking what you've said on-board.

Yasmin -

Great topic, btw!! I use, and have used for many years, protein powders as a supplement to my nutritional/training program. Presently, I'm drinking Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard. It comes in many flavors, mixes easily with water and the price is great - less than $15.00 for a 2 lb. container, and, it contains 24 grams of protein, 1 gram of fat & 3 grams of carbs. Normally, I drink it after a ride to replenish bcaa's and recover from any muscle damage that occurred during riding. For me, my body responds better to a higher protein to carb ratio, and I don't seem to get many insulin dips as is sometimes a problem with carbs. I eat 5-6 small meals a day, and many nights will have a protein shake about an hour before bedtime - have to make sure muscles are getting the most out of those resting hours!!!

I've done much research on protein supplementation and have worked with a former female pro bodybuilder (she's now a personal trainer), so I don't take supplements with a grain of salt. They're just that, a supplement and when used properly can really increase your strength & endurance.

Just my two cents

Kathryn

Hey Yasmin,

I'm in the strength building phase of my training cycle. So I'm back in the gym pushing heavy weights for a couple of months. Because I'm really really pushing myself right now and my muscles are sore I add extra protein to my diet. Right after my workouts I take on a small amount of carbos to replenish glycogen stores in my muscles and liver. For the next meal I add a bit more protein to help the muscles heal and get stronger...maybe a another ounce or so of chicken or tofu at dinner.... or I make a smoothy with added soy protein.

I'm not really sure about how much "extra" protein I need at this time. I just go by how I feel and how well I'm progressing in the gym. Be sure to have some measure in mind for how you will register any gains you get from supplements. I go both by gains in strength (I record what I can do at each weight lifting session) and how well I recover between sessions.

When thinking about how much "extra" protein to include in your diet remember that your body doesn't store amino acids (the stuff proteins are made of). So any protein your body doesn't need gets eliminated and your kidneys get an extra workout!

-traveller
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

Thankyou Kathryn & traveller also. I've gone & purchased some. "Musashi" brand: per serve - 40g protein, 13.2g carbs, 1.9g fat. I don't go to the gym but have done yoga for 30yrs. Once I went to the gym & got fed up with waiting for equiptment & guys checking the women out. Yoga is good, but isn't really for bulking up. Your advice has been valuable to me & I'll re-evaluate the gym thing. Cheers.
    Last edited by Yasmin; 11-30-2005 at 02:46 PM.

Yasmin,

I hadn't heard of that brand before so I looked it up on the web. One of the protein supplement powders they have has extra calcium in it...is that the one you purchased?

I think there is some evidence that supplementing with lots of extra protein in a diet can interfere with calcium uptake --- so increasing the amount of calcium you take in when you are adding extra protein to your diet makes sense.

I'll have to see if I can find more information about this because I'm not sure if it is just an urban legend or if there is some scientific basis for it.

I just started yoga a few weeks ago. I decided I needed to spend more time working on flexibility in the cycling off season. So far I really enjoy it. What style have you been practicing? I think the class I am taking is Iyengar (is that right?) style.

-traveller

I haven't been to yoga classes for maybe 15 years. There are now many "newer" forms available. Many use objects: ropes & chairs etc. I tend to just use myself & gravity. That way I can do it anywhere like eg when travelling & staying in hotels. I guess I perform a type of hybrid yoga, but mostly based on "Hatha" yoga. A friend of mine is a yoga teacher in Queensland (northeast Australia) & that is Iyengar yoga ( yes, I think the spelling is correct). I've done classes with her & enjoyed that too. I'm not really a purest as far as style of yoga, I just stretch where my body tells me it needs it. After cycling I find it invaluable. I cycle with an ex-professional & he reckons he hasn't done any stretching in 30 years! He still performs outstandingly, but his comments blew me away.
    You won't get the strength in the short term (as with weights) but over time your body will be stronger systemically. I'm 49 years old & the disc spaces between the vertebra are those of a 25 year old. I have "back problems", but they're facet joints wearing out rather than discs herniating (as can happen with weight-lifting & general ageing).
    As far as the protein powder, mine doesn't have added calcium, but I do take a supplement. Thanks for reminding me to take it regularly. I hope you find yoga beneficial for you.Cheers.

One of my motivations for taking yoga is exactly what you mentioned...the only things you really need to practice are yourself and gravity! Since I'm on the road a lot I'm hoping that I'll learn some good yoga routines that I can do in a hotel room.

I'll be 44 in a few weeks...my back is starting to give me some problems - especially on long steep climbs. So I'm hoping that the yoga will help with that a little bit.

Cheers,

traveller

It won't be long before you have, say, half a dozen or more postures that will become your base. The more you dislike a posture to begin with, the more your body will benefit from it if you persue it. A posture I had to work on is the one where you sit bolt upright: knees bent outward & soles of feet together. Aim to push knees to the floor (frog like). Couldn't get far at first, but now my knees touch the ground easily. Do this every day for a couple of minutes & you'll be amazed how quickly your body adapts. I find this fantastic for streatching out the inner thigh, especially after a hard ride. Good luck Mary. I wish you well.