Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Christmas shopping - Make it in America

To disable ads, please log-in.

Whatever your holiday needs, why not do something that supports jobs and living wages here in the US?

Why not hunt down some of those modern rarities: items made in the USA?

If you get discouraged looking at item after item only to discover they are made in China, try searching "made in USA" on REI or other major retailers' websites.
    (try not to weep when you do this on LL Bean... lo, how the mighty have fallen)

Give the gift of a viable domestic economy this holiday season!

--------

ETA: LL Bean has 156 items made by workers in the USA. REI has 3,989. I know where I'll be shopping...
    TE, for some reason, has only 1. That just can't be right. http://www.teamestrogen.com/search.e...form-submit=go Susan! Help! Why doesn't this pull up running pants made in Portland OR and Burley products and Smartwool?
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 11-16-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Sounds good to me!!

This Christmas (like last) I'm making all my gifts. Last year it was crocheted scarves. This year it's mittens upcycled from thrift store wool sweaters. If I have to buy anything, I'll make sure it's made in the USA. I bought all the sweaters at local charity thrift stores, so at least the second sale of the item benefited my local community (probably not the first, tho).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I'm knitting hats.

In Cascadia colors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadi...dence_movement)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I'm knitting hats.

In Cascadia colors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadi...dence_movement)
    How funny. I live in "Cascadia" and have never heard of the movement. How sheltered am I?!
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

I sell paintings.. Just saying..
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    I sell paintings.. Just saying..
    I bought one of her paintings, and it is a beauty beyond price.

Support your local artist this Winter Solstice! Give the gift of Biciclista's amazing watercolors.

Quote Originally Posted by VeganBikeChick View Post
    How funny. I live in "Cascadia" and have never heard of the movement. How sheltered am I?!
    I remember Ecotopia in the 1970's, but didn't know about Cascadia until recently. And I found out about it through the Cascadia Cup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_Cup A friend of mine helped start it, and was in charge of transporting the Cup to a few games.

Oh, my Cascadia...
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 11-16-2011 at 08:04 PM.

I make my gifts - alternating so one year it's a big gift, the next it's smaller. Last year it was crocheted afghans, this year I'm making lavender-rosemary soap and crocheting cotton body rags to go with.

In the past I've stitched placemats and napkins, made aprons... next year I'm going to crack out the oil paint and see what I come up with. I have a family friend in Provincetown who has generously offered to give me a lesson next time I am up. ;-)

I soooo wish I could afford one of her paintings. Or prints. Would mean the world to me! http://www.packardgallery.com/anne.html Isn't she amazing? Lots of people paint the sea, but not many catch the moodiness of the sea and sky like she does.
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Sounds good to me!!

This Christmas (like last) I'm making all my gifts. Last year it was crocheted scarves. This year it's mittens upcycled from thrift store wool sweaters.
    Cool. How do you do that?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Cool. How do you do that?
    If you get lucky, there are some sweaters (even store-bought) where the fabric isn't knit, cut and sewn, but it's knit so that the body up to the sleeves is a single length of yarn. You can take the sweater apart, unravel it, and use the yarn for your own nefarious purposes.

I have no idea what I'm making people for Christmas this year. DBF's getting knitted socks once I finally get him to measure his feet for me. My sister doesn't want to be seen in my knitting, so so she says. ("You know you could go to Kohl's and get something that looks a lot nicer for less, right?")
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    If you get lucky, there are some sweaters (even store-bought) where the fabric isn't knit, cut and sewn, but it's knit so that the body up to the sleeves is a single length of yarn. You can take the sweater apart, unravel it, and use the yarn for your own nefarious purposes.
    Or take 100% wool sweaters, wash and dry them in the machine (exactly what you should NOT do with wool sweaters!) so they shrink and felt, then cut out mitten-shaped pieces and sew them together. There are patterns that put the thumb in a better spot by using separate thumb pieces sewn onto the main part, to avoid the awkwardness of having the thumb out to the side, but they are also more complicated.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I am knitting scarves with yarn spun by my friend who got the yarn from friends who raised the sheep and alpaca's. Oh and she dyed it herself too. She also has a great herb shop. The shampoo bars are awesome! Here is her herb store site http://www.prairielandherbs.com/ oh the lavender vanillia linen body spray is sooooooo good! I am getting all my friends a bottle for christmas.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I made two pairs of mittens already (one for me and one for a colleague). They were made for my winter commutes and they are the WARMEST mittens I've EVER had!!!! I lined mine with fleece to make them extra-warm, but they would be fine without the fleece lining, too.

Yup- I felt wool sweaters to make them. It's a 3 piece mitten that you sew. I'm not a great sewer (seamstress) but these were really easy to make. I used this Youtube video to guide me. I made my own template since I don't have a printer to print out a pattern.
    When I made the mittens for gifts, I'll use 3 sweaters for each one, making the three pieces out of different sweaters that color coordinate (to make them unique and special).
    It's really a fun project. I made a pair for a colleague and she loves them! Hers have pretty buttons as decoration on them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4367.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	13898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4362.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	13899  
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 11-17-2011 at 03:40 PM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I make bags, pouches, quilted kindle covers, coasters and all kinds of fabric creations... just sayin

Obviously, I am a big supporter of locally hand-crafted artisan goods!
    Please visit my etsy shop and support avian rescue and sanctuary efforts:
    http://www.BagsofAFeather.etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Oh, cool so like recycling/repurposing yarn. If you find a nice wool sweater alpaca, merino, etc could just unwind it. Voila! Yarn. Cool.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/