Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: First Marathon

First Marathon

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did it, I signed up for my first Mountain Bike Marathon. It is a 52 mile race, I am racing against me! Last year I did the half marathon at this race and had to DNF because I didn't monitor my fluids and dehydrated about 28 miles into a 33 mile race. This year I smarter and a better rider. My goal is to complete the entire marathon season (five races). It starts next Saturday in Palo Duro Canyon. It is a fun trail, beautiful park and well run event. Let's do this!!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

hurrah!

congrats! how exciting!!

i'm sure you will crush it this year with the benefit of better training, both mental and physical.

i'm brand spanking new at this and i can already see how addictive it could be. i come from an endurance sports background to begin with, so i'm already starting to add loooooonng mtn bike events to the bucket list.

i'll look forward to seeing updates!!

Nervous and Excited

Just got a call from the shop my baby should be tuned up in an hour or two. Stan's is already topped off (for those pesky cacti), cable stretch resolved, new brake pads about to be put on.

48 hours to go, I am replaying what I did wrong last year and know I will be smarter this year. I need to take more food on the bike (Gu preferred), I race with a Camelbak Rogue that holds 70 oz I need to have that probably 1/3 full by the time I hit the feed zone on mile 16 to avoid last years fate. I carry Gatorade in the bottle cage, one bottle per lap should cover me. It is 3 15.5 mile laps, followed by a short partial lap. In the Feed Zone I plan to have:

PB&J
    Bananas
    Mini Coca-Colas
    Ibuprofen - Probably will need after lap 2
    Benedryl - Luckily I don't get drowsy on it so in case, I have skin sensitivity to many things.
    Gatorade - I can do the low calorie without sugar spikes, can't do NUUN it makes my tummy cramp.
    Sport Legs (these are awesome)
    A spare tire
    Water for the Camelbak
    Floor pump
    First aid kit - WHICH I HOPE NOT TO NEED FOR MY HUSBAND, MY TEAMMATE OR ME!
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Good luck tomorrow! I will be one of the photographers on the trails for this race
    '90-something Schwinn Mesa GSX

Race went awesome, it was beautiful out there wasn't it TTUChick? Full report coming.
    Amanda

Yes, it was indeed a beautiful day in the canyon! I was pleased with the majority of my photos of all the racers. My little brother races Cat 1 so I try to watch & photograph a lot of the local events

Congratulations, looking forward to reading the full report!

TTUChick- Are you the one who shared on TMBRA? There were some great shots if that was you.

I finally posted a report in the race results.
    Amanda

Yes, that's me! Thank you!

-Becca