Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I got the call today from my doctor's office on the results of the MRI for my cervical spine....

degenerated disks (C5, C6)
    bulging disk
    bony protrusion pressing on a nerve

The word "surgery" was suggested...but apparently there is an injection therapy that might work to shrink the protrusion (how would that work?) Obviously there is much to be considered, and I see my doctor next Wed morning.

They found other things as well, but my brain pretty much had shut down by that point. No wonder my neck has been bothering me in recent months, and here I thought it was stress
    Get the book "Treat your own neck" by Robin McKenzie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgl3Qud_GV0 and find a McKenzie therapist in your area. http://www.mckenziemdt.org/ The injection therapy does nothing for the bone. You can't shrink bone with an injection. The injection may shrink the nerve.

They either have to remove the bone or ... you can correct your posture which may keep the nerve and bone lined up properly.

Source of knowledge: If I was a horse they'd shoot me (disclosure; no horses were hurt in this post). I have a compression fractured spine, torn ACL (both knees), torn meniscus (both knees) and arthritis from the ears down from an impact sport. You're doing the right thing which is get your bike fit to you and keep moving.

We've pretty much all got arthritis after 20 or so especially if you're an athlete. However since you're truly having pain see if you can find a certified McKenzie therapist in your area first before exploring further choices.
    Last edited by Trek420; 12-30-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Thanks for the book recommendation Trek and I will check it out! That post was about a year ago, and it turned out that my pain and discomfort was much more from the whiplash injury than the disk/arthritis problems. The injections really helped a lot with my symptoms, and then I went to a great physical therapist who helped me a lot. There was so much going on with my neck that my doctor (osteopath) wasn't sure if the pain was from the disc problems or the whiplash. Turned out to be the whiplash, hands down

A year later we've learned that my whiplash injury still isn't quite healed - it was a severe injury. I've learned how to deal with it however, and I am always working to strengthen that area and to do things that are neck friendly. Thankfully I didn't need more than that first set of injections - the dr who gave them warned me if I didn't get the right therapist that he would be seeing me again...

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Thanks for the book recommendation Trek and I will check it out! That post was about a year ago, and it turned out that my pain and discomfort was much more from the whiplash injury than the disk/arthritis problems. The injections really helped a lot with my symptoms, and then I went to a great physical therapist who helped me a lot. There was so much going on with my neck that my doctor (osteopath) wasn't sure if the pain was from the disc problems or the whiplash. Turned out to be the whiplash, hands down

A year later we've learned that my whiplash injury still isn't quite healed - it was a severe injury. I've learned how to deal with it however, and I am always working to strengthen that area and to do things that are neck friendly. Thankfully I didn't need more than that first set of injections - the dr who gave them warned me if I didn't get the right therapist that he would be seeing me again...
    Catrin - I have the book, did nothing for me. It's yours if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Catrin - I have the book, did nothing for me. It's yours if you want it.
    I will send you a PM, I can always pass it along once I've read it. Thanks!