Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

100 mile mntn bike race--who's done one?

To disable ads, please log-in.

My friend wants me to race a 100 mile mountain bike race with her this coming spring. Sounds like fun to me! But I have no idea how to train for one on my limited schedule. And I have no idea what to expect! Just wondering if anyone on the forum has raced one before. I would like to hear your experiences.

Thanks!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

WOW! I am doing a 85+ miler January 7. It is not all trail though, it starts on trail (9 miles), road to another trail, 18 miles (+/-), road back and then about 1 mile of trail. It is called the Excrutiation Exam. Otherwise we don't have a lot of super-endurance marathons here. I am doing a 52 miler Saturday but that isn't 100!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

If I am correct, the race I want to do is almost all singletrack. It's a 33 mile loop. Here's the website.

And I want to hear all about your race when you're done! With a name like Excruciation Exam . . . you should have an experience to share
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    My friend wants me to race a 100 mile mountain bike race with her this coming spring. Sounds like fun to me! But I have no idea how to train for one on my limited schedule. And I have no idea what to expect! Just wondering if anyone on the forum has raced one before. I would like to hear your experiences.

Thanks!
    Lumberjack rocks! It's beautiful and the terrain is varied. What I did to prepare was ride a lot of road miles because we had such a wet spring.

Jeni

Thanks TrekJeni! I am so excited about this race. I really hope I can get in. I am going to be doing a TON of road riding this spring.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

I've never raced one (hah - or riddein anywhere near 100 miles) but the BF does Shenandoah Mountain 100 every other year. I know he does big mtb trips on weekends but does lots of road riding during the week to train.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    I've never raced one (hah - or riddein anywhere near 100 miles) but the BF does Shenandoah Mountain 100 every other year. I know he does big mtb trips on weekends but does lots of road riding during the week to train.
    I've several friends who do the same thing. They don't race at all, but do lots of mountain biking on the weekends and try to road ride at least 100 miles during the week to keep in shape for the trails.

Never done a 100 miler mountain bike race; but have done a 24 hour race that you do about the same mileage. For the 24 hour race on a team, your goal is to ride a bit faster than if you were doing it all alone; so you have to train for pace and intervals. But to ride a 100 miler mtn bike race, I would say your goal is to keep going and finish at a reasonable pace. So, I'd say just ride a lot; lots of miles, both on road and off. I say off road, cause as you know mtn biking takes more strength in upper body and arms and so you will have to have those areas of your body ready to take the bump punishment. I would not concentrate on speed or interval work as much as I would just miles, hills, time in the saddle kind of stuff.

My coach and I defined my 2012 goals today and I want to peak twice this year. Once for Lumberjack in June and then again in September for my 24 hour solo. Last year was all just finishing the races and this year I'm looking to shave hours off my results so it's going to be a lot of speed work.

I'll share some of my workouts with you when I get them. :-)

One of these days I WILL get over to the westside to ride with you. Promise.

Are you planning on doing Barry Roubaix too? It should be a good training ride at race pace.

Jeni

Lumberjack 100 sounds fun. I see its in Michigan - I would love to do this too. Please keep us posted on how the training is going.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

I have done one 24 hour race and I'm going to take part in a 120 km race and 3080 m ascent in April. I have to ride a lot of miles but I don't have company. And especially in winter it's so demotivating
    Now I ride a stationary bike to keep in proper shape but in February the latest I have to start riding more hours.

you are awesome!!

I wish I had done a 100!!!!!!!! I have found mt biking to be more fatiguing than my roadie days......... (or maybe cuz I am 50 ???) Anyway..do you read Selene Yeager's blog (Fitchick) she has done leadville- lots of good training tips!!! cheering for you! post when you want encouragement- 3 more kids through college till I am there with you- so thrilled to enjoy vicariously (:

I did my first 100 miler this year. I didn't have a lot of time to train but I have a lot of base so that seemed to work out OK.

I'd say that the most important thing is to get in some long back to back days on the bike on the weekend. I did a lot of my endurance training on the raod bike then I worked a lot on efficient mountain biking on shorter rides. On a long day like that, efficiency is key. Also, try to learn how to minimize your time of the bike, even 15 min farting around at an aid station will lengthen your day substanially.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Lumberjack is a blast. It's not a technical course but it is mostly singletrack. Rolling terrain so momentum from downhills help on the uphill. I've done LJ100 three times. Other 100s include Cohutta and Mohican. Work toward back to back long weekend rides. Practice / learn what fueling and hydration works for you. Many DNFs on the 100s are from issues eating / hydrating. Overall endurance is a goal, being comfortable on the bike. A real plus to the LJ100 is that you can see familiar faces in the pit twice during the race. If you're fit and ready to rock this event, ride the first hour to two hours at a solid to near XC race pace, then settle into a sustainable high-endurance / low-tempo pace for the balance of your race. Ride w/in yourself. Be present on the trail and constantly attentive to eating, spinning, riding the trail. It's a fun day.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    If you're fit and ready to rock this event, ride the first hour to two hours at a solid to near XC race pace, then settle into a sustainable high-endurance / low-tempo pace for the balance of your race. Ride w/in yourself. Be present on the trail and constantly attentive to eating, spinning, riding the trail. It's a fun day.
    That is really good to know. I was wondering about pacing . . .
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR