Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

limewave,
    Sooo, last week I decided that the brevet would be my last long long ride but yesterday I was tempted by a friend of mine and we did something like 65 miles, most of it on trails. It took us the whole day but we stopped for a meal at a restaurant and also waited for some other guys who joined us for one part of the trip. About 7 hours on the saddle. It was awsome! The weather was perfect and the places were beautiful. I rode for the first time in short sleeves and now I am a little sun burnt but not severely.
    Today I will also hit the trails but only for an hour or two.

Thanks an awesome training ride limewave!!! Exactly the kind of riding you need to do to get ready for a 100.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

51 miles all on Single Track yesterday with DH. Riding time was 5:20. That does not include our stop for lunch.

We parked at a trail head and rode south for 10 miles and then looped back. Ate lunch. Then rode north on the trail for 15 miles and then rode back. This way we were never too far out from the truck and we didn't have to pack as much food.

DH and I had very different ideas about what a "lunch break" was going to be. I thought I would quick grab my snack, eat it by the truck and ride off. DH wanted to sit in the truck, read a book, eat chips and salsa for 20 or so minutes. I complied as we rarely get a nice day to spend together like that. However, my body did not like taking that long of a break mid-ride! The longer I sat the more my body wanted to take a nap. Not to mention the longer we sat the more I ate. I know I took in too much food for a mid-ride break

The first 40 minutes into the second half of the ride was horrible. Eventually my system went back to work and I was feeling good again. Overall I felt really good! My pace was about 0.75 mile/hour average slower than I'm hoping to do on race day.

The time on the bike went much faster than I anticipated. My didn't start tightening up until the last 4 miles. That last section was rough, but I made it

55 days to the 100 mile race . . . .

Food: trail mix, homemade lara bars, Clif Kids Organic Fruit Rope, and Endura. Lunch was a Sweet Potato Quinoa Burger (just the pattie).
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

limewave, very good ride with excellent average speed!
    I did a 20 miles race on Sunday. I started with a technical: my chain broke but I was so lucky to have this problem at the start. My coach fixed the chain and I started only about 10 minutes later. I made up for the lost time and finished first, the other girls finished 30 min after me, I had already taken a shower. The track of the race was perfect! I had so much fun! Most of it on single track. The ascent was 4 000 m but it was not difficult for me. I felt weekness on the flats...I don't know how to ride on the flats and I either mash or ride too slow. Whatever...
    My countdown: 5 (FIVE!) days until the long race!

Great post Limewave, looking forward to reading more about how your training goes and, of course, the final race!

You seem to like the homemade Lara bars and you are getting me curious about trying something like that at home. At least there is no doubt what the ingredients are and you can customize the mix for your needs and taste!

Quote Originally Posted by Anelia View Post
    limewave, very good ride with excellent average speed!
    I did a 20 miles race on Sunday. I started with a technical: my chain broke but I was so lucky to have this problem at the start. My coach fixed the chain and I started only about 10 minutes later. I made up for the lost time and finished first, the other girls finished 30 min after me, I had already taken a shower. The track of the race was perfect! I had so much fun! Most of it on single track. The ascent was 4 000 m but it was not difficult for me. I felt weekness on the flats...I don't know how to ride on the flats and I either mash or ride too slow. Whatever...
    My countdown: 5 (FIVE!) days until the long race!
    Anelia--I will be thinking about you this weekend!!!! Hope you have a great race.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Quote Originally Posted by Anelia View Post
    ... My countdown: 5 (FIVE!) days until the long race!
    For some reason I missed this earlier - good luck and have fun!

Thanks a lot! I will be thinking about TE and all the wonderful ladies here, too

One more bump in the road of training . . .
    Our computrainer (that is probably 15 years old) just puked on me. It is dead, no longer holding any kind of resistance no matter how much I smush it against my rear wheel.

Bwahahahahahaha

Because of work, kids, my schedule in general I have to do about half of my training at home.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

Well well well, I'm here, I'm alive. I did it. I survived! On Saturday we started about only 48 people on the Ultra Challange Marathon. 40 finished it, I finished 21st. I was the only woman so I get 1st and last place I did the 121,5 km in 9h18 min. The trail was hard: lots of rocks, sand and mud in the woods. I was exhausted but I knew I had to race on the next day, too.
    On Sunday we started a lot more people for the 58 km race (over 200). The trail was even harder with rolling stones, steep and technical climbing and very strong head wind. I was leading my category for about 40 km but then my Greek competitor was lead by her male team mate on the asphalt part and they entered the last part of the trail in front of me which was technical singletrack with sand and stones. I couldn't reach them. I was lighter than the other rider so I did better on the climbs but I was worse on the downhill. Also I was really tired and finished about 3 min after the first lady. Last year I finished about 30 min after her so I must be happy that I progressed so much. Sill, I feel a little bitter and I wonder if I could have done more to win the race. But believe me, it was hard right after the Ultra Challenge.
    I am very satisfied with the races. Sometimes I hated the wind and the rocks. Now my whole body hurts, especially the upper part (I ride a hard tail) but I was amazed by all the views. We went arount the whole island of Thassos and the scenery is beyond my words to describe. I didn't take my camera (still, I was in a race) and I had to be careful to watch my front tire but still I could see the sea, meandering paths, green forests and blue and green bays. My coach made a lot of pictures and when he sends them, I will upload them.
    Our team was very good too and a large part of the Bulgarians participated in both races (that makes us masochists, doesn't it )

Now I understand why the Greek lady got me on the downhill. Google tells me that besides a XC champion, she is also a champion in downhill...

Wooot Aneila! You had an awesome weekend and glad the weather cooperated. I can certainly understand being frustrated by only being 3 minutes behind the woman who finished first, but I think it is awesome that you closed the gap so much from last year - you are on her heels now and next year is coming

Sounds like you had a fantastic race!!!!! Great job! And such a small gap?

. . . next year. Mwhahahahhahahaha.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

Nice work Anelia!! That sounds grueling.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

DH and I rode 90 miles on our mountain bikes yesterday. The route consisted of mostly paved path/road (about 65 miles) and 25 miles of hilly, sandy, gravely roads. It took us about 5.5 hours of riding time. We had two short pit stops to refill water bottles and use the restroom.

Mostly it was a nice ride. But the last 15 miles were brutal. I just wanted to be done. I am dreading the 100 mile xc race. Just 33 days to go . . . . .
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR