Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Smile Trotting for Turkey (November Running)

To disable ads, please log-in.

Milestone: I'm up to four miles. Having minor piriformis issues, so I'm going to concentrate on stretching my glutes/hams/piriformis more. Ankle tendons are doing great, thank goodness.

DH and I are going to do a Turkey Trot on T'giving morning (5K). We opted for a smaller race in Arlington (closer to home) instead of a bigger 5K in the District.

Best news of all: I just signed up for a ChiRunning workshop in December! Can't wait.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

We have a turkey trot 5k here too-- but I haven't run it. Thanksgiving morning I'm either cooking or in the car...

No formal run today, but part of Stella my new dog's walk turned into a run. In blue jeans and boots. She's not going to be a constant running partner, but we might try some short runs together, once she puts on some weight (she's scrawny right now).

I did 5 five miles on the treadmill yesterday. It's been a long time since I've done a treadmill run. I have gotten a LOT faster in the last year. Last November it was taking me 65 minutes to run five miles on the treadmill and I would have to walk. Yesterday's run only took 49. Not a blindingly fast pace by any means, but I just don't think I'm made to be blindingly fast on the run.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

That's a huge improvement, Veronica, congrats!

I am running 3x a week on the beach and beach trail here and am up to around 3.5 miles. There's a 5K the Sunday after Thanksgiving here for charity that I think DH and I are going to do. That would be my first official 5K, and although I am a very slow runner, you never know how many 50+ gals will register. I might place simply by showing up and finishing the distance in such a small town.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I did about a 40-minute run today on the town trail system. I wish I had a better idea of distances...it's just so much easier to go by time on trails or road/trail combination runs like I often do.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

We have 2 Turkey Trots here - one is very informal and run on Sunday of T'giving weekend, around the lake; the other is a more organized race run on T'giving Thurs but very hilly. I really wanted to run on T'giving, as it's right before my work stretch, but I'd much prefer the flat lake scenery than a bunch of hills and can't do Sunday as it's in the middle of my stretch on. /rant over
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

I think I have a stress fracture in my left foot. I had some twinges in the metatarsals about a month ago when running. I kept going and it got worse the next time I ran. Then, about a week after that, my foot felt fine, but one night when I took my shoes off, after work, I had a lot of pain on the top of my left foot, where the ankle strap of my low heel Mary Janes went across the top of the foot. It hasn't been the same since.
    I've had a stress fracture before, many years ago, from teaching aerobics on concrete floors. I did go to a podiatrist and got a couple of ultra sound treatments, but essentially, the treatment was rest. I guess going to the 2 step classes didn't help this last week. Riding doesn't bother it at all, but lots of walking does.
    Grrr. This is the time of year I do more hiking and running and I just joined a gym. Maybe my body is telling me something? I am trying to rest it, in terms of no running, but I can't stop walking, obviously.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Ouch. Are you going to get it X-rayed? At least you'd know. Whatever it is, heal quick!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Not sure about the x ray. It's basically some kind of overuse injury and it is slowly getting better. The pain isn't bad enough to make me run to the doctor; I haven't done anything, like icing, which I may start today.
    Last year I bought a new pair of running shoes that have no seams that irritate my bunion. I went to a good LRS and was fit. However, ever since I got them, I've had twinges in all the normal areas that runners have issues with: shins, calves, etc. I know minimalist is in, but I think I need more support somewhere; one thing that always amazed me is that I had no injuries from running, just soreness from using muscles that don't get worked from riding.
    I am going to give it a week or so and then think about going to the podiatrist.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin, I hate to hear that. How awful! I hope you heal up soon. Bummer!

I haven't been on the forum much the last few weeks. I ran in the St. Louis Rock N Roll HM 2 weeks ago and reached my goal of finishing under 2:30 by finishing in 2:29:59---just made it! I was very happy with that. I have been down in Florida on a little vacation and also volunteering at the Florida IM and am back on my marathon training schedule. I ran 14 miles Friday--the furthest distance I have ever run--in the midst of all the IM participants riding and running the day before the race. Talk about inspiring!

I bought a pair of Newton shoes at the IM expo and have been wearing them walking. I'm anxious to try running in them and see if they make a difference. Anyone else tried the Newtons?

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

The thing about transitioning to a less-supportive shoe is that you have to do it SLOWLY. Like, you're supposed to start with 100 yards to at most a quarter-mile at the end of a run in your regular shoes, and GRADUALLY increase over a period of months.

I've been working on this for what, a couple of years now? Four or five years if you count where I started with Chi Running. Targeted exercises, shoes that aren't too small, yoga, doing more of my ADLs barefoot or at least in more flexible shoes. I'd be good in the Altras if they only fit me, and I looove walking/hiking in my VFFs but I'll never be able to run in them either because of the fit. I'm nowhere near ready for barefoot or even minimalist shoe running. But I'm getting closer all the time, and this latest round of PT where she did a lot of mobilization on my feet and ankles has brought me closer.

Just floundering for motivation for running right at the moment. I did about five yesterday. I'm really considering the Illinois Marathon at the end of April ... it's a cr*ppy time as far as my schedule, but I'm not seeing one I'd rather run before then. We'll see.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Much as I don't approve of daylight savings time in the abstract, it was really nice to have more light on my run today. At 6:20 am, the eastern sky was starting the pre-dawn glow; when I got home just before 7, the streetlights were off!

Been looking at the local race calendar, and a second turky trot has been added on the Sat. after thanksgiving; it's a fundraiser for a soup kitchen in my neighborhood. Think I'll do it--if I'm not still too weighed down by the thanksgiving feast.

I started wearing only Barefoot type shoes back in the summer. Hiked all over Glacier in the them, wear them to work... It's a good thing 5th grade is pretty causal. I've got three different pairs of the Merrills for daily wear.

I bought a pair of the Kinvara 2s a couple of months ago and started doing some short runs in them. Now they are all I wear. I've progressed to 8.5 miles in them. I got a second pair so I could alternate. I wear them to my trainer workouts now too. I like that they have some cushioning, but they are still so light.

I'm thankful I have been relatively injury free. Of course I only run 32 miles a month and almost never two days in a row. And I do 35 minutes of stretching 3 - 4 times a week - Yoga for Triathletes video.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Oak, I got a fitting at the Newton tent and was fit for the Guidance Trainer, which offers more support than the minimalist shoe. I also attended a running clinic which helped a lot. I was told to wear them everyday for 7-10 days then start running gradually. I've been wearing them everyday for a week now and ran a 1/2 mile in them this morning. So far, so good. What I like most about them is that they offer a lot of support and cushion in the metatarsal area of my foot, where I need it most.

I think you will like the Illinois marathon. It's a good race with lots of support and it's flat. I've run the half at Illinois, St. Jude in Memphis, and St. Louis Rock N Roll and the Illinois was my favorite.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
    Best news of all: I just signed up for a ChiRunning workshop in December! Can't wait.
    Arrrgghhh!! Where? When?
    I've been trying without luck to connect with a ChiRunning instructor out of Rockville with no luck. I'd love to get in on one! Can you PM me the info?

I actually ran/jogged/trotted 2.75 miles yesterday. Working my way up (ever so slowly) back into the longer distances in preparation for a 5-mile race/run in December. Treadmill is supposed to be delivered tomorrow (was supposed to come last Thursday, but a mix up from the store left me with no treadmill! ). Hopefully that will encourage me to do the mid-week runs that I've been avoiding this fall. Running once a week is probably not ideal for training.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle