Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yeah, I would bet that the cost difference is demand, more than COL. I was amazed that this clinic is less than 2 weeks away and it still has 7 available openings. I guess Chi running isn't taking off here like it is in other places?

I'm actually working on convincing my husband to sign up with me. So far, he's considering it! He wants to be a runner, but has ITB issues every time he tries (from mountaineering and cycling, actually), so this might be a good opportunity for him.

Today I've got 4.5 miles on my plan. I'm going to TRY and get out at lunchtime today, but we'll see.

Oh, and I pretty much always have to drive to run. Luckily, I don't have to drive to bike, so it evens out.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Chick View Post
    Oak, I got a fitting at the Newton tent and was fit for the Guidance Trainer, which offers more support than the minimalist shoe. I also attended a running clinic which helped a lot. I was told to wear them everyday for 7-10 days then start running gradually. I've been wearing them everyday for a week now and ran a 1/2 mile in them this morning. So far, so good. What I like most about them is that they offer a lot of support and cushion in the metatarsal area of my foot, where I need it most.
    BC - How is it going with the Newtons?

I have a pair of one of the stability trainers coming (the bright blue ones, can't remember the model name). Plan to slowly adjust to them.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

OK, my husband and I signed up for the Chi running clinic next weekend. Yay!

I also just signed up to run another half-marathon (#4). I'm now doing the Portland Rock n Roll half two weeks before I do the San Diego Rock n Roll half. I am insane. I blame Susan.

3 mile run on the treadmill last night. It felt really good, actually. Looking forward to some outside running this weekend.

I'm out of practice dressing for running in the cold! This morning it was 27F, with wind chill down at 21F, when I headed out. Hands and feet were cold, legs just right, upper body and head too warm. Went 5 miles; started out way faster than intended, so the final mile was really slow...

But the weekend looks great for all outside things; might try taking my new dog on a short run Sunday. She still needs to put on some weight, but when she had her first vet appt. this week, her vet mentioned that it's a good thing I'm a runner, because this dog will want a lot of vigorous exercise.

What a difference two days makes. I did the same beach run (approx. 3.5 mi) Wed. am and this morning, but I felt like doodoo Wed. and actually pretty good today!

I'm trying to figure out if the difference is pre-run fueling (Wed. I had a homemade energy bar and a cup of coffee, and today I had a banana and OJ, just trying to change things up a bit), or mostly the weather conditions. Wed. was 79-81 and very humid. Today was 75-76 and less humid. Both days sunny, but today was much breezier. It really did feel significantly cooler, so that may have been why I didn't feel near death at the end. I still sweat quite a bit, though!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
    BC - How is it going with the Newtons?

I have a pair of one of the stability trainers coming (the bright blue ones, can't remember the model name). Plan to slowly adjust to them.
    So far, so good, Selkie! I've done one 2 mile run in them and have been walking in them alot. I plan to do my 5 mile run in them this week and I'll give you an update. I think I'm really going to like them and hope that I can run my marathon in January in them.

I hit a milestone today! 16 mile run! And I also found a running partner which really made the miles click by. A lady in my town is also training for a marathon and suggested we do our long runs together. Her pace is about a mile a minute faster than mine but we made it work.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Well apparently I'm the kind of person who runs a half-marathon out of laziness and lack of motivation.

I've been really struggling lately, kind of similar issues to what Brandi posted about in her thread - yesterday I barely got off the couch, and this morning I just couldn't motivate to do the club ride even though they're starting an hour later for the winter (in addition to the time change). But I knew there was this little half in the afternoon ... and I pretty much needed to get a longer run in before we travel to see my dad ...

There were maybe 100 runners and we didn't get much for our registration fee. I wasn't expecting a T-shirt since I registered day of race, but the website promised six water stops and AG awards, and what we got was three water stops (the last one 4.5 miles from the finish), a course that was four-tenths of a mile short, and only awards for overall podiums. But what the heck, not much sense in a medal when there might've been three or four people in my AG. I don't care about the short course either since I really wasn't running for time, but there were at least a couple of people who said it was their first half, so that must've been a disappointment for them.

My husband promised me I'd feel better after I ran. He was right.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Well, today's plan was for a long run on some trails in a wildlife-management area a few towns over that I had heard were supposed to be good. However, because I didn't have a map of said trails (and am not sure one exists) it didn't go so well. The trail from the first trailhead was too short and mostly not runnable due to being too steep on the way up. At the secoond trailhead, I found another too-short trail but it was pretty flat and runnable, then there was another trail that may have been longer but by that time I was running out of daylight so had to head home. I may go back there tomorrow and try that main trail even though it's an ATV trail which really isn't my favorite thing...I am still working on finding foot-only trails in the area that are long enough for a good hike/run and aren't too far away. There is the town's trail system and the loop on the farm/apple orchard, both of which are decent, but some variety is nice too. Actually, the good thing about going back to that wildlife management area tomorrow would be that there is no hunting allowed on Sundays here...I have a blaze orange vest and bandana which I wore today, but it still makes me slightly nervous that people could be out there shooting. I could tell somebody had gotten something today...there was definitely some blood on the trail in one area, and it was coagulated but not dried yet.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

So far, so good, Selkie! I've done one 2 mile run in them and have been walking in them alot. I plan to do my 5 mile run in them this week and I'll give you an update. I think I'm really going to like them and hope that I can run my marathon in January in them.
    Thanks for the update. I put on my new Newtons this morning and quickly remembered why I loved them before.

I've been wearing my VFFs around the house, so depending on how I feel, I might try to run a mile in the Newtons some time this coming week.

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I went out for a 3.25 mile training run today. I've started running with a metronome playing in 1 ear to train me to improve my cadence. We'll see how it goes.

Came across a neighbor friend who we haven't seen in ages. Asked him how he was doing. Said his wife - they had been together since 1964! - passed away suddenly and unexpectedly 5 weeks ago. Pulmonary embolism. He was on the phone with her when she collapsed. It was too late by the time he got to her. What a shock. His advice was to live each day to the fullest and tell those you love that you love them.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Thanks for the update. I put on my new Newtons this morning and quickly remembered why I loved them before.

I've been wearing my VFFs around the house, so depending on how I feel, I might try to run a mile in the Newtons some time this coming week.
    Let me know how it goes. So you have had Newtons in the past? How long did it take you to build the mileage in them? I'm afraid to run too far just yet. I can't risk an injury 6 weeks before a marathon.

Jamis Coda Femme

Oak - I guess picking up a random half marathon will get you out and running, huh?

7rider - I'm sorry about your neighbor. That's really shocking and sad!

I ran 5 miles on the treadmill yesterday. It went really well because I was watching a DVD! By next weekend we'll have cable in our basement, too...so that'll help.

Today I did 10 miles outside. I ran my usual route but threw in 3 loops around the wetland preserve lake to extend it. Luckily, the rain held off, so I got to run the entire thing with dry feet.

Sunday I took my dog running for the first time. The wind was howling (and it still is) so I wasn't going to have a decent run anyway, so why not take Stella along. We did just one mile, with a piddle break and a squirrel break; Stella wanted to keep going but I was cussing the wind, so that was all. We'll try it again when the weather's better...

No run today, thanks to the wind. If it's raining tomorrow morning as hard as predicted, it'll be a treadmill day for the first time in months...

Let me know how it goes. So you have had Newtons in the past? How long did it take you to build the mileage in them? I'm afraid to run too far just yet. I can't risk an injury 6 weeks before a marathon.
    The first time I used Newtons, I just started wearing them. I was just getting back into running, so it was a natural progression because I was building mileage back up as I acclimated.

If I were you, I'd take it very very slow. Also, pay careful attention to stretching your calves and watching your ankles/achilles. You don't want to end up with ankle/achilles tendonitis, particularly right before a marathon.

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

The first time I used Newtons, I just started wearing them. I was just getting back into running, so it was a natural progression because I was building mileage back up as I acclimated.

If I were you, I'd take it very very slow. Also, pay careful attention to stretching your calves and watching your ankles/achilles. You don't want to end up with ankle/achilles tendonitis, particularly right before a marathon.
    Thanks, Selkie, for your advise. I did a 2 mile recovery run in them yesterday. I'm not quite sure how to run in them. I feel like I'm running on my tip-toes

Jamis Coda Femme