Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yay for the Chi running clinic! I was just thinking during my run yesterday that I'd like to take a clinic to help tweak my form.

So let's see - I did 4.5 miles after work on Nov 1 - skipped the rest of my weekday runs last week (bad me!) and then did 4 miles on the treadmill on Saturday (I LOVE that thing! It's such a pleasure to run on...too bad it's in the basement where I have nothing good to look at...), and then 9 miles yesterday. It was clear, cool and beautiful out yesterday. I ran on mostly a paved MUP and sidewalks, but I also did a loop around the lake in a wetlands preserve and that was so incredibly peaceful. I'm definitely going to have to run there more often!

I'm documenting this here in case anyone cares - do not skip all your weekday runs in lieu of a long run on the weekend! My legs were aching something awful last night. This week, I'm committing to getting in ALL my weekday runs (even though now it's pitch black after work).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    I'm documenting this here in case anyone cares - do not skip all your weekday runs in lieu of a long run on the weekend! My legs were aching something awful last night. This week, I'm committing to getting in ALL my weekday runs (even though now it's pitch black after work).

And don't "Take a week off" if for no other reason than being tired. I did that last week (my workweek) and I'm seriously regretting it this week. Feels like I'm starting all over again, back to minimal miles.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Arrrgghhh!! Where? When?
    I've been trying without luck to connect with a ChiRunning instructor out of Rockville with no luck. I'd love to get in on one! Can you PM me the info?

I actually ran/jogged/trotted 2.75 miles yesterday. Working my way up (ever so slowly) back into the longer distances in preparation for a 5-mile race/run in December. Treadmill is supposed to be delivered tomorrow (was supposed to come last Thursday, but a mix up from the store left me with no treadmill! ). Hopefully that will encourage me to do the mid-week runs that I've been avoiding this fall. Running once a week is probably not ideal for training.
    Hi

The clinic is in Herndon (unGodly place, outside the beltway). LOL. Yes, we are desperate enough to schlep out there on the weekend.

I'll pm you the link. :-) It would be great if you came--my husband is registered, too. The instructor is going to also include a session on how to use one of those foam rollers for injury prevention.

Can't wait to hear about your treadmill, too. We're still waiting for delivery notification for ours.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Yay for the Chi running clinic! I was just thinking during my run yesterday that I'd like to take a clinic to help tweak my form.
    Go to the ChiRunning website and click on the links of upcoming workshops (it's under the Store link). I think I saw some in Oregon.

By the way, I got myself one of those headlamps to wear from early morning runs & dog walking. Works like a champ (got it at REI).
    Last edited by Selkie; 11-07-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

[QUOTE=Bike Chick;610304...
    I bought a pair of Newton shoes at the IM expo and have been wearing them walking. I'm anxious to try running in them and see if they make a difference. Anyone else tried the Newtons?[/QUOTE]

I had the Newtons when they first came out and LOVED them. Really forced you into striking on the forefoot vs your heel and I felt fast in them.

Once I'm sure I'm over the hump with my ankle issues, I might get another pair. Right now I'm slowly making changes to avoid injury. Have started wearing my VFFs around the house again, but I'm not sure I'll ever run in them again. Read an article in the NYT magazine yesterday about barefoot running that was interesting.

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I completely embarrassed myself on today's run...was on the town trails, throwing in some fast intervals, and during one of them tripped on a root that was hidden under the leaves. This resulted in essentially doing a belly flop. And, of course, a lady walking her dog was coming the other way in time to see me sprawled on the trail; I don't think she actually saw me take the digger but she sure did see the aftermath! Then I ran into her again on the way home because at that point we were going in the same direction and I passed her. At least I didn't get hurt during my clumsy moment...just a bruised ego!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Oh yikes Jolt! Glad you're okay. It took me a ton of stability work before I quit falling on the freakin' road. I'm a little afraid to run trails! (Mostly though I already drive to do most of my cycling and I really don't want to get into the habit of driving to run, too.)

Newton shoes look interesting but they don't come in widths, so they're probably out for me. I have a pair of the NB Minimus cross-trainers for the gym that fit reasonably well in a men's wide. I went to look at a pair at the LRS the other day, but they fit differently from the cross-trainers and they don't stock wides. If I'm going to have to take a chance on special ordering, I'll probably go through the NB corporate store where I can return them without guilt.

There's a Level II Chi Running workshop coming up and I'm really tempted.

Long intervals for me today, three minutes at 5K pace, three minutes easy jogging, x 5. Glorious day at the fitness trail. On one of the repeats I passed a woman pushing her toddler son in his stroller, and as I swooshed by he went, "Whoa!!" At least I seem fast to a three-year-old.

Another cool sight - the trail backs up against a nursing home and then a stand of woods. There are often deer around who are very accustomed to humans. Today a nursing home resident was out on the patio in her wheelchair enjoying the sunshine, and a doe with a gimpy leg walked up to check her out. Made me smile.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Wow, Jolt - I'm glad you are ok! I read your description and almost phyically felt the wind being knocked out of me! I've taken spills like that and they are no fun.

Oak - I just ordered a pair of the new NB Minimus directly from NB (free shipping through tomorrow, by the way!) because mine get really wet in all the rain around here. Hopefully these:http://www.shopnewbalance.com/women/...i-sport/WO10GR will be better suited to the PNW weather.

Selkie - there IS a clinic near me in just a couple of weeks! Now I need to justify the $100 to my husband somehow (since I have like zero of my own money at the moment)....
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Oak, I know what you mean about driving to run! I do occasionally, but mostly I use the trails here in town, which I can run to in less than 10 minutes, or the ones on a farm in another part of town, which take just under 20 minutes on the road to run to (so that's my usual long-run route). Not as good as some trails further away (the town trail system doesn't have enough singletrack sections and has a lot of crushed-gravel surfaces in my area, which are not always the nicest thing to run on in minimal shoes), but I don't want to get in the habit of driving to run either.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Jolt, I found myself splayed out on a trail a couple of years ago, and prayed that no one saw; I wasn't hurt, just roughed up, but felt totally embarrassed.

When I meant minimalist shoe, it's not one of the ones you guys wear. It's a regular running shoe that feels very thin and it's like I can feel the ground on the sole and even the body of the shoe feels thin. I can't describe it, but even though I have had no issues with the bunion since, I noticed the different feeling right away and i have not liked it. Well, it's a moot point as I guess I'm done with running until late winter/early spring. I want my foot to be in good shape for x country skiing, which is my absolute favorite sport and I only get about 8 weeks to enjoy it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Today's google offer for Austin was $5 off entry (and google donates $10) for Race for the Cure this weekend, so my husband and I are going to run that. I guess we'll "run" since he's not much of a runner and I just did Ironman Florida.

Going to switch over to training for the Seattle Marathon, Thanksgiving weekend. So far I'm running the half, not the full. I think it's going to take a lot of convincing for me to want to run the full. It's going to be a fundraiser for Child's Play charity, a charity that donates games to childrens hospitals (and wings of hospitals). I was a kid in a hospital once, and despite the fact that I was less than 2 when I had surgery and lots of repeat visits for both my eyes, I still remember it as very intimidating. Some of these kids effectively live there, the least we can do is entertain them More info about the nerds and I that are running: http://run.bravelittlescientist.com/

After that.... a break? Maybe? I am hoping to try some runs or rides in Austin when I'm there (which is about half time through end of the year, then who knows).

I know this is nothing compared to most of you, but I ran Friday, Saturday and today, about 4 miles each time out. With my thyroid under control, I'm making decent progress getting back into the swing if things. More importantly, I'm actually enjoying it.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I know this is nothing compared to most of you, but I ran Friday, Saturday and today, about 4 miles each time out. With my thyroid under control, I'm making decent progress getting back into the swing if things. More importantly, I'm actually enjoying it.
    That's great!

GLC - How about considering the workshop an early Christmas present? Or you can consider it a good investment in injury prevention (if you got injured, you would have medical bills).

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

So I have not made it running every day in Nov., but at least I have ran.
    I started Nov. 1st off with an 8 mile run. My last "training" run before I left for Wisconsin to run a half marathon. I did get in a 3 mile run on Friday so I could figure out how to dress for that temperature. It felt pretty good. So on Sat.was the 1/2 marathon, sponsored by a Brewery. It started at 11:30, probably to take advantage of the warmer part of the day. I was way undertrained, it was windy, cold (for me) and hilly. First half of the course was very hilly. I thought if I made it in 2:30 (for not training) I would be doing pretty good. My legs felt OK, but started out too fast for my cardio. Then mile 7 my right foot, ball area, base of my toes started hurting...really bad!. I did the last 6 miles doing the walking/running wounded shuffle. It was a pretty course, but I was hurting a bit too much. But I did finish and managed a 2:34 time. And the beer & food was great! And we had friends waiting in the warm tent for us.
    The next day I did a really slow easy 3 miler just to keep from getting stiff. So I have run 4 times thus far this month. Heading out later today to run in the FL warmth!

Good job everyone on your runs!
    K
    katluvr

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Selkie - there IS a clinic near me in just a couple of weeks! Now I need to justify the $100 to my husband somehow (since I have like zero of my own money at the moment)....
    Huh. It's 50% higher in this neck o' the woods. Darned cost of living. Debating strongly, and got a bunch of negative feedback on the expense from friends in my tri club's meeting last night. Still, I'm such a dreadful runner that I wonder if this coaching will help me out in a way that "self taught" won't. But I agree, see if you can pitch it as an early holiday gift.

As for driving to run...I think once I get myself back up to 4+ miles, I will, if only because my neighborhood is so darned hilly. I have a 4 to 4.5 mile MUT run I can do that only rises with the stream bed it follows, so it's essentially a flat run. When I get up to that mileage, I'll "reward" myself with the flat run. For now, my 2-3 milers will have to be up and down the hills of my neighborhood.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle